Grant Thornton

2.9

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Tax Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

I had a first interview consisting of two 30 minute interviews with Tax Partners. I received an offer from a partner a few hours later. They invited me to do an office visit before I had to decide to accept or reject their offer. I went to the Chicago office and I was nice, but they are in the process of moving to a new office at a different location so my experience there is not as relevant. Overall it was a pretty fast and positive experience.

Chose a Big 4 Firm instead

Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2014.

The initial communication and discussions were well scheduled and the cadence was fast paced. Then interview fatigue set in, interview after interview was scheduled, asking for more time away from current job. Where GT falls down is feedback, follow up and follow through. Unresponsive was the reaction that I got, unanswered emails, unreturned voicemail messages, indications of availability and when the hiring manager was contacted, no answer. I am an adult, I am well versed at receiving feedback, but give it straigh away, don't hide and ignore people...that will tarnish your brand and harm your image for sure! If you are looking for more of the lackluster treatment that you receive working for the big 4, try this company on for size...ranked #5 and they wonder why! Their candidate experience ranks pretty low in my mind. I actually liked most of the people that I interacted with, but thankfully I got to see this hiring managers true colors before putting the brakes on the entire process and withdrawing. As an experienced professional, it's not worth my time to constantly be chasing people for answers...there are plenty of places to work that actually care about the people they interview and hire.

Business Advisory Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2014.

Started off with an on-campus career fair. From there I got invited to a pre-interview dinner where you were able to network with past interns and current staff. It was a very friendly and relaxed atmosphere that wasn't intimidating at all. The next morning, those who were invited had an on-campus interview that was essentially your standard behavioral interview. All of the core questions were there. The interviewer for me was young and did a really good job at making the interview flow easily. After that I waited about a week and half before I heard from the main campus recruiter. She invited me to an office visit (Chicago Office) with final round interviews being conducted there as well. It spanned over two days. The first evening we were all taken to dinner downtown, where again, we were able to network and speak with current staff at the Grant Thornton office in Chicago. You then went back to the hotel they put you up in for the night. The following morning we were taken to the Chicago office where we had breakfast and a presentation. After this, the interviewees were broken up into their respective fields (BAS, Tax, Audit) and we learned a little more about what went on there. After that, you then went on to do two separate interviews which were largely behavioral based with one or two generic technicals. After this, we got lunch with some of the younger employees who were still recent to Grant Thornton and talked with them. That was pretty much it for the day.
    I ended up getting an offer about two weeks later, and was called by employees from the office in addition to my email.

None.

Valuation Services Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

GT typically recruits on campus, sending currently employed alumni to deliver the presentations, collect resumes, and conduct on-campus interviews. Typically these occur two weeks or so before on-site interviews, which consist of approximately 4 half-hour interviews with managers, a service-line overview presentation, and lunch, wrapping up around 2:00-2:30pm.

Interview Questions
    • It depends which job role you're applying for. If you interested in the financial instruments aspect of the job, questions get pretty technical. Otherwise, interviews are purely behavioral and "why are you interested in the work" targeted.   Answer Question
    I got an offer the day of my interview and was given approximately three weeks to decide, although HR said I could take more time if I needed it. They are flexible with school requirements/career services offices.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

Typical phone interview questioning, followed by a face to face. Interview with all managers (5) for 20 minutes a piece.

No negotiation

CARS Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in December 2013.

My situation will not be the same as yours so this question is irrelevant. I got this positon in the most non-traditional manner.

Interview Questions
    • wasnt the questions, it was the quality of responses that were expected. It could of been as mundane as what do you do in your free time? if you anwsered biking, tanning, and skeeball, that was the wrong anwser. They want very detailed responses tha thighlight your chacter.   Answer Question
    short quick and easy.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in May 2013.

Applied online for a position and was actually up-sold to another one. A couple of conversations with HR/recruiting, followed by two with two different national directors. No difficult questions, even talked salary expectations. Then silence. No emails returned. No calls returned. No courtesy shown whatsoever. Not what I would expect from a company that purports to be in professional services. No professionalism.

Tax Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

GT is a very professional and friendly company upon first impressions. The campus recruiter can be slightly intimidating, at first, however will warm up to you quickly if you strike conversation. There is an obvious delineation between the age groups; on one side, a very young and enthusiastic staff, and the other a seemingly more grizzled and experienced management team.
    The interviews are a combination between behavioral and conversational – behavioral during the campus interview, and entirely conversational during the on-site visit. Nothing to stress about. During the coffee discussion, prior to the interviews, it was refreshing to hear how much the staff focused on our (the interviewees) ‘internship experience’. They seemed to care more about giving us advice about navigating our near future, than they did about convincing you GT was the best firm. It was perhaps the best sales job they could have done.

One minor complaint: they took waaaaay too long to get back to me with the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, it is the same old list of behavioral interview questions that everyone else asks. "Tell me about a time when you had friction with a team", etc. The office interviews were much more conversational.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation, from what I could tell. It seemed very "take it, or leave it"

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2012.

Was referred by a current employee and received an email response within a week. After the email I was contacted by phone for a brief phone interview and then called in for an in person interview. The interview consisted of two 30-45 minute sessions with separate interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • As I was currently employed, I was asked why I was looking for a new job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2012.

Resume was sent over by family member. Initially contacted by recruiter who conducted a phone interview. Then a face to face interview was setup. Face to face interview was conducted one and then an offer was given the next day. Very smooth process. I would advise anyone going in to brush up on their interview skills and to have as much information on the Firm as possible. It is a partnership so information is somewhat limited.

Interview Questions
    • Not a terribly difficult interview. Not the easiest, but certainly not the hardest I had.   Answer Question