Grant Thornton Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.7

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

Very welcoming. I was nervous, but I never felt intimidated by the personnel. Instead, they were straightforward, genuinely interested, and very comforting about the firm. Like most public accounting firms, they are selling themselves to you just as much as you are trying to sell yourself to them. So long as you have a good resume and can hold a conversation, you're prepared for a successful interview.

Interview Questions

• For me, the hardest questions are always those asking if I have any questions for the firm. It's hard to come up with someone unique and not something everyone asks.   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (McLean, VA) in August 2015.

Interview

Met surge 2 partners, 1 senior manager and went out to lunch with two lower level employees. Everyone was very nice and answered questions honestly. It seems like they have a very good culture- better than big 4 at least. The lunch was very good as well. Not sure if they chose this restaurant especially for me but it was the nicest place in the immediate area.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

30 minute interview with two Grant Thornton employees (I had one partner and one manager). The interview was conversational and fairly laid back. It took place within the interviewer's office at Grant Thornton's Metropark office. The interview was one-on-one and predominantly resume/behavioral based questions. The entire day lasted about 5 hours with one hour designated to the interviews. The rest of the day was spent networking with various employees.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you were working in a group setting and experienced internal conflict. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

3 face to face interviews. First interview was with a Senior Associate, Second interview was with a Manager, Third interview was with the Partner. All were behavioral interviews in a laid back setting.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

It was awful, spoke with two recruiters, very rude and they just lie. I would be very hesitant to consider employment with this agency. Partners within the company advised me on the troubles within HR and their lack of care. This phone interview resulted in an employee write-up.

Tax Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

Applied online and received a phone call from a recruiter the following week. After an initial phone screening I was flown out to the office where I was interviewed by a manger and partner.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, although It was mostly questions about experience. They are trying to gauge whether you will be a good fit for the firm. Don't be too nervous. Let your personality shine through! Don't be afraid to be honest. They enjoyed hearing my reasoning for choosing a small school.   Answer Question

Tax Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (Houston, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Campus recruiting, plenty of pre-interview dinners and socials, in-office interviews. VERY positive experience overall! I enjoyed every minute of it! All of the GT employees were incredibly welcoming and made every effort to ensure you felt comfortable as a candidate. I strongly recommend going to all of the functions!

Interview Questions

• A lot of typical behavioral questions were asked at the on-campus interviews: Tell me about a scheduling conflict you've had and how you prioritized, tell me about a time you had a different opinion than the rest of a group and how you approached it, etc. The in-office interviews were more conversational and low-key. It was mostly get-to-know you questions. One difficult question I did receive, however, was: "Why wouldn't you choose GT?"   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

One day program. Spoke with people that worked within the firm and their experiences. Went out for lunch and spoke with some more people. After lunch, first interview with a guy that was very honest on his take on the firm and didn't ask very difficult questions. Then another interview with a guy that was nice, but seemed a little distracted too.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about presenting ways that technology helps the work place to the CEO?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

IT Security Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

3 phone interviews. Pretty standard questioning. Background and walk through resume. Standard HR questions. Test of troubleshooting skills. Walk through of a situation in which someone needed computer basic help.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (Boston, MA).

Interview

One day single interview with two people. About 30 minutes each where they give a description of what the job would be like and how your position would contribute to the group. Give tour of the office, meet a couple people. None of the questions are too difficult, they love Excel skills and organization. Deadlines and attention to detail are important, they make this clear.

Interview Questions

• How organized are you? Describe how you are organized.   Answer Question