Grant Thornton

Relevance Date Difficulty

Tax Interview

Tax
Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2013.

Interview Details – Recruitment followed the traditional accounting recruitment process. Interviews on campus, followed by fly outs and second round interviews. Interviewed with a manager, senior manager, and partner. Offer was given by phone, by the tax practice leader (the same partner who interviewed me). Trinkets were given and emails exchanged. Accounting firms, know how to woo, and GT can do it as well.

Interview Question – Partnership allocations.   Answer Question

BAS IT Audit - Senior Associate Interview

BAS IT Audit - Senior Associate
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in March 2013.

Interview Details – There were 3 interviews - Manager, Senior Manager and Partner. Mostly they asked about the past experiences. They also ask about typical behavioral questions. Generally easy interview process. Its more of how you fit into the culture of the company.

Interview Question – Talk about your most difficult project and how did you manage/ complete it   View Answer

Negotiation Details – HR will give you the offer figures. I negotiated further to get additional 10% with the partner.

Audit Summer Interview

Audit Summer
McLean, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Grant Thornton in September 2013.

Interview Details – Campus Job Fair = initial meeting. Apply online through campus hiring website - Resume, Cover Letter, Unofficial Transcript. Meal with recruiters and other applicants the night before interviews began. On Campus interview with one manager. Second Round interview at office - dinner the night before, next day was a full day of interactions. It began with a breakfast, then speakers on each practice type, then three interviews, then a lunch.

Interview Question – All of the questions were really based off of my resume, asking what something meant or how involved I was, and behavioral questions - how I would react to something or what I typically do in a certain situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no real negotiation. Intern offers for accounting are fairly standard no matter where you go.

Very Easy Interview

Tax Associate Interview

Tax Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview Details – Very easy met with 3 people for about 25-30 minutes each and was called back the following week and received an offer. Everyone was very friendly and people around the office were great.

Interview Question – Straight forward. Basically walk me through your resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – straight forward.

Senior Associate - Business Advisory Services Interview

Senior Associate - Business Advisory Services

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on-line to a number of Business Advisory positions. Within a week or so, I was contacted (by email) by a recruiter requesting a phone interview. The phone interview, which occurred less than a week after the first email, with the recruiter lasted around an hour, and covered my background and the background of the firm. The next step in the process was a phone interview with the recruiter responsible for the requisitions that I applied for. The second phone-interview with this recruiter was one of the best I've had with any firm: the recruiter really recruited me by detailing the what distinguished the firm from others, the conversation was natural and the role was clearly defined. Within 48 hours, my office visit was scheduled through the recruiting coordinator. The office visit included 3 in-person interviews, each one lasting 45 minutes. The first person on the agenda was the partner of the office, who walked-through my resume - a relatively straight-forward interview. The second interview was with the senior manager of the office and was a conversational interview (the senior manager was personable and laid-back). The third and final interview of the day was with a Managing Director of the Charlotte office on a long-term client, and was via a conference call line. Again, the interview was conversational and without issue. After the interviews, I contacted my recruiter with positive feedback and sent the "thank-you" notes to all of those I interviewed with (the only person I received a response from was the partner. thanking me for my time, etc.). The next morning, I received a call from my recruiter, who asked if I could be available to have a phone interview with one last Managing Director (I immediately agreed and had the call that same afternoon). The call was more formal than my in-person interviews, in that I felt (and realized after my hiring) that the Managing Director was using a form that included pre-assigned questions depending on position type and level. The call was successful, and due to the 4th of July holiday, I did not hear anything else from anyone until the end of the following week, approximately 8 days after my in-person interviews. I accepted my offer the following day, and agreed on a start date that was dependent on the orientation schedule, which was a month later.

Interview Question – How do you stay current on issues in your profession?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was so excited to receive the offer that I did not negotiate.

Tax Associate Interview

Tax Associate
McLean, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2012.

Interview Details – The recruiting process starts on campus during the sophomore/junior year of undergrad. There is a two-day externship where candidates come out to the office and learn details about what the work is like and the kind of clients we serve. There are interviews on the second day and offers are extended shortly after for internships. The summer internship lasts from June to the end of July. During this time, interns work on the same projects as regular staff (although on less technical tasks, at first). At the end of the internship, more interviews are held and a roundtable is held for staff to discuss their impressions (since they worked most closely with the interns). At that point, full-time offers are handed out to the selected interns.

Interview Question – I was not asked any technical questions or case study questions. At that point, the interviews were primarily conversational to measure whether I would be a good fit for the office culture.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. It was a flat compensation offer.

IT Support Interview

IT Support
Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Grant Thornton in December 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview, in person interview, and group web cam interview. I was contacted by a recruiter, then placed on a phone interview which went well. Then I did a group web cam meeting in the office, followed up with a one on one meeting with the office manager.

Interview Question – The process was easy going and natural. They are looking to assess your personality.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Accounting Senior Interview

Accounting Senior
Anchorage, AK

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in January 2014.

Interview Details – Called on phone after on line application. Set up interview, conducted interview. Told me that another person would call, never happened. Emailed later that that person was unavailable. They sounded interested but waited over 2+ weeks to send request for information regarding very specific experience in reference to a new government program. I could have provided the information, but the job had a shelf life of 2 years, decided that it wasn't worth it.

Interview Question – Mostly just chit chat, nothing technical or based upon my resume.   Answer Question

Audit Intern Interview

Audit Intern

Interviewed at Grant Thornton

Interview Details – I met the recruitment team at my school's career fair. There was a two step interview process (one on campus and one at the local office). Both interviews were relatively simple. The thing I like most about Grant Thornton is that the interviews are very much like a conversation with a friend. Everyone is so nice and easy to talk to to.

Interview Question – One question that really made an impression on me was "how do you think we could increase profits for the firm?" I thought this was a great question because it made me realize that Grant Thornton truly does value the opinions of all employees and potential employees.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Senior Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Grant Thornton in March 2012.

Interview Details – The process was very long. Met with 4-5 people 6-7 times. The interview process was thorough. The managers and senior managers asked a lot of questions regarding background and put forth various almost real scenarios.

Interview Question – Run by me the process of System Selection.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated the salary based on glassdoor reviews.

Worked for Grant Thornton? Contribute to the Community!