Grant Thornton Interview Questions & Reviews

2.7

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2012.

Was referred by a current employee and received an email response within a week. After the email I was contacted by phone for a brief phone interview and then called in for an in person interview. The interview consisted of two 30-45 minute sessions with separate interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • As I was currently employed, I was asked why I was looking for a new job.   Answer Question

Audit Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Applied through campus online. Then I had a campus interview then it was followed up by an office visit with a group dinner the night before. There were multiple interviews with Senior Associates then an interview with a partner. I received the offer within 24 hours of the last interview. The company is great and I loved it.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were fairly basic, just be knowledgeable about current accounting issues.   Answer Question

Financial situation changed where I had to graduate prematurely and pursue a full time job while short of hours for the CPA exam.

Tax Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2013.

Recruitment followed the traditional accounting recruitment process. Interviews on campus, followed by fly outs and second round interviews. Interviewed with a manager, senior manager, and partner. Offer was given by phone, by the tax practice leader (the same partner who interviewed me). Trinkets were given and emails exchanged. Accounting firms, know how to woo, and GT can do it as well.

BAS IT Audit - Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in March 2013.

There were 3 interviews - Manager, Senior Manager and Partner. Mostly they asked about the past experiences. They also ask about typical behavioral questions. Generally easy interview process. Its more of how you fit into the culture of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about your most difficult project and how did you manage/ complete it   View Answer
    HR will give you the offer figures. I negotiated further to get additional 10% with the partner.

Audit Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Grant Thornton in September 2013.

Campus Job Fair = initial meeting. Apply online through campus hiring website - Resume, Cover Letter, Unofficial Transcript. Meal with recruiters and other applicants the night before interviews began. On Campus interview with one manager. Second Round interview at office - dinner the night before, next day was a full day of interactions. It began with a breakfast, then speakers on each practice type, then three interviews, then a lunch.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were really based off of my resume, asking what something meant or how involved I was, and behavioral questions - how I would react to something or what I typically do in a certain situation.   Answer Question
    There was no real negotiation. Intern offers for accounting are fairly standard no matter where you go.

Tax Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Very easy met with 3 people for about 25-30 minutes each and was called back the following week and received an offer. Everyone was very friendly and people around the office were great.

Interview Questions
    • Straight forward. Basically walk me through your resume.   Answer Question
    straight forward.

Senior Associate - Business Advisory Services Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in July 2013.

Applied on-line to a number of Business Advisory positions. Within a week or so, I was contacted (by email) by a recruiter requesting a phone interview. The phone interview, which occurred less than a week after the first email, with the recruiter lasted around an hour, and covered my background and the background of the firm. The next step in the process was a phone interview with the recruiter responsible for the requisitions that I applied for. The second phone-interview with this recruiter was one of the best I've had with any firm: the recruiter really recruited me by detailing the what distinguished the firm from others, the conversation was natural and the role was clearly defined. Within 48 hours, my office visit was scheduled through the recruiting coordinator. The office visit included 3 in-person interviews, each one lasting 45 minutes. The first person on the agenda was the partner of the office, who walked-through my resume - a relatively straight-forward interview. The second interview was with the senior manager of the office and was a conversational interview (the senior manager was personable and laid-back). The third and final interview of the day was with a Managing Director of the Charlotte office on a long-term client, and was via a conference call line. Again, the interview was conversational and without issue. After the interviews, I contacted my recruiter with positive feedback and sent the "thank-you" notes to all of those I interviewed with (the only person I received a response from was the partner. thanking me for my time, etc.). The next morning, I received a call from my recruiter, who asked if I could be available to have a phone interview with one last Managing Director (I immediately agreed and had the call that same afternoon). The call was more formal than my in-person interviews, in that I felt (and realized after my hiring) that the Managing Director was using a form that included pre-assigned questions depending on position type and level. The call was successful, and due to the 4th of July holiday, I did not hear anything else from anyone until the end of the following week, approximately 8 days after my in-person interviews. I accepted my offer the following day, and agreed on a start date that was dependent on the orientation schedule, which was a month later.

Interview Questions
    • How do you stay current on issues in your profession?   View Answer
    I was so excited to receive the offer that I did not negotiate.

Tax Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2012.

The recruiting process starts on campus during the sophomore/junior year of undergrad. There is a two-day externship where candidates come out to the office and learn details about what the work is like and the kind of clients we serve. There are interviews on the second day and offers are extended shortly after for internships. The summer internship lasts from June to the end of July. During this time, interns work on the same projects as regular staff (although on less technical tasks, at first). At the end of the internship, more interviews are held and a roundtable is held for staff to discuss their impressions (since they worked most closely with the interns). At that point, full-time offers are handed out to the selected interns.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked any technical questions or case study questions. At that point, the interviews were primarily conversational to measure whether I would be a good fit for the office culture.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase. It was a flat compensation offer.

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Grant Thornton in December 2011.

Phone interview, in person interview, and group web cam interview. I was contacted by a recruiter, then placed on a phone interview which went well. Then I did a group web cam meeting in the office, followed up with a one on one meeting with the office manager.

Interview Questions
    • The process was easy going and natural. They are looking to assess your personality.   Answer Question

Accounting Senior Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Anchorage, AK
    Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in January 2014.

Called on phone after on line application. Set up interview, conducted interview. Told me that another person would call, never happened. Emailed later that that person was unavailable. They sounded interested but waited over 2+ weeks to send request for information regarding very specific experience in reference to a new government program. I could have provided the information, but the job had a shelf life of 2 years, decided that it wasn't worth it.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly just chit chat, nothing technical or based upon my resume.   Answer Question

Worked for Grant Thornton? Contribute to the Community!