Grant Thornton

Very Difficult Interview

CARS Associate Interview

CARS Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in December 2013.

Interview Details – My situation will not be the same as yours so this question is irrelevant. I got this positon in the most non-traditional manner.

Interview Question – wasnt the questions, it was the quality of responses that were expected. It could of been as mundane as what do you do in your free time? if you anwsered biking, tanning, and skeeball, that was the wrong anwser. They want very detailed responses tha thighlight your chacter.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – short quick and easy.

Senior Associate Interview

Senior Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Grant Thornton in March 2012.

Interview Details – The process was very long. Met with 4-5 people 6-7 times. The interview process was thorough. The managers and senior managers asked a lot of questions regarding background and put forth various almost real scenarios.

Interview Question – Run by me the process of System Selection.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated the salary based on glassdoor reviews.

Audit Associate Interview

Audit Associate
Islamabad, Islamabad (Pakistan)

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in January 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring takes place every six months, ICAP CA Inter passed students are called for their 3.5 years mandatory article ship. Initial screening is done via test followed by an interview by the senior manager. Final selection is done after reviewing performance in test and interview.

Try to be confident in the interview and make sure you have revised Accounting, Tax, Company law and auditing before coming for the test.

Interview Question – You can be asked questions on election of directors or accounting of income and deferred taxes.   View Answer

Audit Associate Interview

Audit Associate

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2011.

Interview Details – Campus Interview with a senior manager. Very nice but serious about hiring the right person.

Interview Questions

Tax Intern Interview

Tax Intern
Seattle, WA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Grant Thornton in November 2011.

Interview Details – My first Interview was on campus. Once I was notified that I made it past the first round, they took me and all the other candidates to a pre-second round interview dinner which was like one large interview. A week later, I had an interview at their office which consisted of meeting 3 current employees and going out to lunch with them, an office tour and finally 3 30-minute interviews with associates to partners. 1 hour after I left the office I left the office, I was called and offered the position! I gladly accepted, everyone was extremely nice and helpful during the long and tedious process. Heads up...be prepared for tough questions and dont be afraid to say you dont know something. They are testing you every step of the way and they want to see who you are, not who you are trying to portray.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself and why you chose tax   Answer Question

Business Advisory Consultant Interview

Business Advisory Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2011.

Interview Details – This company really blew me out of the water. I have to admit, I was not originally interested in the position; I took the interview on the recommendation of a professor for nothing more than practice. Right off the bat, the interviewer honed in on my skills and applied them to the job. He showed me what this company did and helped me understand how I would fit in when I had nothing more to go on than the research that I did on the internet the night prior. I answered his questions well, but they were not typical interview questions. This company was very interested in seeing who I was as a person to determine if I was the right fit. It was more that skills can be taught but they needed a good worker. So, if you are technically lacking in an area, don't sweat it - just convey (honestly) that you are proficient in other areas but willing (and excited) to learn and develop professionally.
The follow up interview was fun. I would do it again in a heart beat. It was relaxed and not at all what I expected. They took me out to dinner, drinks, put me up in a hotel and then, after only 3 interviews (an hour each with various levels of employees - up to partner) they took me to lunch. The whole time I am sure that they were assessing how I interacted with the current employees and how they thought I would fit into the role. Nonetheless, they made me feel welcome and comfortable the entire time.
The take home message here - be yourself. Genuinely prepare for the interview by reading up on their core business functions on the website and sites like this. Know your strengths and be ready to present them in a way that is applicable to their business; it is competitive. But, most of all, be genuine. Good luck.

Interview Question – There was no one question that I was thrown that I had not been asked by any other interviewer. Know yourself, your accomplishments and the role because most questions tie the three together to see how you will fit in with the company.   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Staff Accountant

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Grant Thornton in September 2011.

Interview Details – Grant Thornton came to my university campus to give an information session and I received an interview after applying online. My interview lasted about 40 minutes. I was interviewed by two people, one audit manager and one talent acquistion manager. The interview questions themselves were mostly behavioural and were pretty common. For example, I was asked to tell them about myself and also to name my proudest achievement. However, only about 5 questions were actually asked which took up less than half of the 40 minutes. I was asked to begin asking GT questions instead. Unfortunately, I didn't prepare quite enough questions and soon ran out of them. My advice would be to prepare more on this area.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult decision that you have made in your life?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2012.

Interview Details – The interview lasted about one hour. The interviewer sounded to be in her late 20s maybe earlier 30s. She was very knowledgeable about Grant Thornton and their client the VA. Grant Thornton was contracted to streamline their claims benefits system. Asked questions about my knowledge of the claims benefits system, the order of superiority within the Department of Veteran Affairs, what I had done to help in the streamlining process as I worked for a VA contractor. It was a great conversation.

Interview Question – They asked what IT softwares I was familiar with -- as I was unfamiliar with the softwares they used, I believe that was the deciding factor.   View Answer

BAS Associate Interview

BAS Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Grant Thornton in May 2010.

Interview Details – was recruited through standard campus recruting. went through standard interview process

Interview Question – the hours are rough, how do you expect to handle that?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was more informal at first, then culminated by meeting with 3 of the senior staff as well as the recruiter. I really liked the fact that the process was focused on how I would fit with the team personally and professionally. They really respected the fact that I am capable of learning quickly and they were very honest about the work load I could expect. There was no sugar coating.

Interview Question – Why shouldn't we hire you?   Answer Question

Worked for Grant Thornton? Contribute to the Community!