Grant Thornton

Updated Dec 7, 2014
Updated Dec 7, 2014

2.7

Audit Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

I applied through an employee at the office I was interested in. I was contacted by the recruiter about a week later. Had a brief talk with her and received an email shortly after about setting up a phone interview with a manager. After that the recruiter called again and we were able to set up an office visit. At the visit I met with two managers and a partner. Received a call a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Questions from recruiter and manager were focused on location and background of the past few years. Office visit questions were very focused on how I would fit in and a large percent of the time was me asking questions.   Answer Question

Advisory Associate Interview

1st round interview on campus that went alright. The manager that interviewed me did not seem like I was the right fit for the role and kept talking about switching me to another practice, which she ended up doing. The process was also extremely drawn out and I was left in the dark. I had to follow-up with the recruiter (who is an angel by the way, shout out to her!) multiple times until I was told that I did not advance to the final round.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Grant Thornton in November 2014.

Was called a week after applying. Had a phone interview lasted about 15mins. Was told the next step would be a formal interview then they would make a decision .

Interview Questions
    • What kind of experience do you have to relate directly to this position   Answer Question
    Negotiable based on experience

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2014.

The hiring process was through the university and took about 5 to 6 weeks.

There was an accounting fair where a whole range of accounting firms were present from Big 4 to small, local firms. I met with a managing director and a partner of the firm. They were very nice and I enjoyed their company.

There were also several events where we met with other professionals of the firm. I had my first round of interviews at the university for about 30 minutes. I met with a manager. He was very professional and we spoke about a variety of topics about myself, my resume, both of our experiences.

The second round interviews were at the office. We had a pre-interview social. I met with other professionals of the firm, as well. The next day were office interviews and lunch. I had two office interviews, both 30 minutes. I interviewed with a partner and director of the firm. Both of them went very well. It was certainly more relaxed and talking more about myself, my resume, and experiences. After the interviews, we went out to lunch with two professionals of the firm. It was a great experience and learned more about the firm through their experiences. They said that offers would be sent out the following week. However, I received notice of my offer two days after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions. Nothing that is out of the ordinary.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Tax Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

Applied to Grow with Grant Thornton Leadership program, interviewed, went to Grow with GT, interviewed with two senior associates. About 2 weeks after the program ended I received a call with an offer, then a few days after that received the details of the offer in an email.

Interview Questions
    • How do you see the globalization of the world impacting GT?   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate

Audit Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

First step is resume and application submission for first round on campus interviews. This process took less than a week. I interviewed with a manager and he asked me to walk me through my resume, then asked me 3 behavioral questions. After the on campus interview, I waited a week to be invited to second round office interviews. Definitely not a "small," "family oriented" or "entrepreneurial" culture. Grant Thornton was as close to Big Four as you can get without being at a Big Four. Don't get me wrong everyone was fine, but expect to be treated like one of many candidates. Also, everyone I interviewed with was more serious than friendly. Second round interviews are 3 interviews. Expect basic interview questions and behavioral questions. My second and third interviewers were easier, but the first interviewer from the moment I walked into his office did not seem approachable and friendly. Final decisions took more than 2 weeks, which was inconvenient for me so I decided to accept another offer.

Interview Questions
    • How do your experiences align with GT's values? How will you deal with creative accounting methods? How will you deal with the convergence of IFRS and GAAP standards? Tell me about something that you've been interested in lately?   Answer Question

IT Audit Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

There was a pre-interview social the night before on campus. There were two back to back interviews on campus which I did not know going into it. Both interviewers were very nice and open to answering any and all questions. I received a verbal offer a little over a week later. Went to an office visit with other students who received offers.

Interview Questions

Received an offer for a position that interested me more. If I did not receive the other offer I would have happily accepted GT's offer.

Senior Audit Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Grant Thornton in November 2014.

I applied twice. First, through an employee referral but got rejected due to my visa status. Three months later, I tried again by depositing my CV on their website. Few hours later, I got a phone call -- this mainly consists of screening questions.

I was then scheduled the next day for an interiview with an Assistant Manger. Questions mainly involved IAS and IFRS technicalites. Later in the afternoon, I got scheduled for another interview with a Manager on the next day. This interview again is about the accounting standards, though I was also asked about risk assessments and audit procedure.

The next day, I was scheduled for the final interview with an Audit Partner. Only a few behavioral questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • Technical : what are the required disclosures for investment property both under the fair value and cost model   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Initial phone interview consisted of casual conversation with a manager, followed by a few behavioral questions. Invited back for an office visit. More of the same, only in person. Met a partner, went to lunch with a few associates--nothing too difficult. Received my offer the following week.

Business Advisory Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2014.

Started off with an on-campus career fair. From there I got invited to a pre-interview dinner where you were able to network with past interns and current staff. It was a very friendly and relaxed atmosphere that wasn't intimidating at all. The next morning, those who were invited had an on-campus interview that was essentially your standard behavioral interview. All of the core questions were there. The interviewer for me was young and did a really good job at making the interview flow easily. After that I waited about a week and half before I heard from the main campus recruiter. She invited me to an office visit (Chicago Office) with final round interviews being conducted there as well. It spanned over two days. The first evening we were all taken to dinner downtown, where again, we were able to network and speak with current staff at the Grant Thornton office in Chicago. You then went back to the hotel they put you up in for the night. The following morning we were taken to the Chicago office where we had breakfast and a presentation. After this, the interviewees were broken up into their respective fields (BAS, Tax, Audit) and we learned a little more about what went on there. After that, you then went on to do two separate interviews which were largely behavioral based with one or two generic technicals. After this, we got lunch with some of the younger employees who were still recent to Grant Thornton and talked with them. That was pretty much it for the day.
    I ended up getting an offer about two weeks later, and was called by employees from the office in addition to my email.

None.