Grant Thornton

Updated Nov 19, 2014
Updated Nov 19, 2014

2.7

Staff Accountant Interview

Questions were very professional. Phone interview then in person. Very to the point. Responses were within a few days. Called to tell me that I didn't get the job.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in January 2010.

The process was fairly typically of other firms for college hires. There were on campus and in office interviews, followed by an 'Explore your offer" day where a number of students went to the office and walked through their offer with HR, while also having lunch with a "buddy" (who worked at the firm) and a couple of Partner/Principal presentations.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate a signing bonus when I mentioned that I had competing offers with higher bases, and that I wanted to join GT but also wanted to be financially responsible.

Tax Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2014.

Superday where you have 3 interviews including a break and lunch. You are assigned a visit buddy who is a recent hire associate who takes you to your interviews. Everyone was very friendly and the process was not intimidating at all.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to go against a set criteria, why you did so and what was the result.   View Answer

Regional Marketing Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in August 2014.

I submitted an online application and two weeks later was emailed with a request for a phone interview. Phone interview went great with HR manager. She told me I'm the kind of candidate they look for. The next steps would be to meet with the marketing team and partners, but unfortunately a week later I got a call that they hired someone else who had more direct information.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation where you met a challenge and how you tackeld that.   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2014.

The initial communication and discussions were well scheduled and the cadence was fast paced. Then interview fatigue set in, interview after interview was scheduled, asking for more time away from current job. Where GT falls down is feedback, follow up and follow through. Unresponsive was the reaction that I got, unanswered emails, unreturned voicemail messages, indications of availability and when the hiring manager was contacted, no answer. I am an adult, I am well versed at receiving feedback, but give it straigh away, don't hide and ignore people...that will tarnish your brand and harm your image for sure! If you are looking for more of the lackluster treatment that you receive working for the big 4, try this company on for size...ranked #5 and they wonder why! Their candidate experience ranks pretty low in my mind. I actually liked most of the people that I interacted with, but thankfully I got to see this hiring managers true colors before putting the brakes on the entire process and withdrawing. As an experienced professional, it's not worth my time to constantly be chasing people for answers...there are plenty of places to work that actually care about the people they interview and hire.

Advisory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2014.

After speaking to recruiters at the my school's career fair, I applied to the Advisory Associate's position through my schools career website. I received an email 2 weeks later to schedule an on campus interview. The day of my interview, I was greeted by recently hired associates who socialized with the interview candidates. The process itself consisted of 2 back-to-back, half hour interviews. One was with a senior manager and the other was with a manager. There were specific questions about experiences on my resume as well as behavioral interview questions.

Audit Interview

Applied through school career website then was accepted to the 1st round interview one week later. It was a 30 minute interview with the GT recruiter. Quite a pleasant experience but didn't get offer to the next round.

Tax Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

I had a first interview consisting of two 30 minute interviews with Tax Partners. I received an offer from a partner a few hours later. They invited me to do an office visit before I had to decide to accept or reject their offer. I went to the Chicago office and I was nice, but they are in the process of moving to a new office at a different location so my experience there is not as relevant. Overall it was a pretty fast and positive experience.

Chose a Big 4 Firm instead

Tax Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interviewed with two partners. Went over resume. Standard questions like why tax, tell me something about yourself, how do you differentiate between different accounting firms, preference in compliance or consulting. Gracious people. Applied independently...Took a month after turned in initial app until callback. Went out to lunch with Manager and Associate.

Summer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in September 2014.

I went through the campus website as well as their own to apply and got a 1st round interview. During the first round, I got an interviewer who looked like she didn't want to be there in the first place. She wasn't very friendly nor was she the best interviewer.