Grant Thornton

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Interview

Associate

Interviewed at Grant Thornton

Interview Details – Campus interview which was all behavioral, then in the office for 3 thirty minute grill sessions from two managers and the practice partner. Pretty standard stuff, just a resume run through, career motivations, what you think you can do to add value to client work, etc. No business case or brain teasers.

Interview Question – Tell me about your academic and career arch...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real wiggle room without another offer in hand

Staff Accountant Interview

Staff Accountant
Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2012.

Interview Details – Resume was sent over by family member. Initially contacted by recruiter who conducted a phone interview. Then a face to face interview was setup. Face to face interview was conducted one and then an offer was given the next day. Very smooth process. I would advise anyone going in to brush up on their interview skills and to have as much information on the Firm as possible. It is a partnership so information is somewhat limited.

Interview Question – Not a terribly difficult interview. Not the easiest, but certainly not the hardest I had.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview Details – First I had an on campus 1:1, then on site for 3 1:1's. Everyone was very nice, and focused mostly on interpersonal skills, with a bit of technical questioning. The offer was made promptly after the interview cycle, within a week or so. Plenty of transparency throughout.

Interview Question – Interviewer tried to drill in to a past experience, drawing parallels to the new position.   Answer Question

Business Advisory Consultant Interview

Business Advisory Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview Details – I received an interview call through my interaction with GT professionals at a Career fair

Interview Question – The first round of interview was behavioral interview and I was asked number of "Tell me a time when..." questions. Also, some time was spent on resume based questions.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
Alexandria, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Grant Thornton in March 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the end client of Grant Thornton first. Since the client liked me, Grant Thornton had no problem extending an offer.

Business Advisory Services Interview

Business Advisory Services
Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Grant Thornton in November 2012.

Interview Details – Initial interview was on campus. This was followed up with an office visit that included three more interviews and lunch.

Interview Question – What three words would your friends or family use to describe you?   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

Audit Associate
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through the online recruiting portal after speaking with employees at a University Career Fair. Was called after 3 weeks and offered a phone interview, which took place the next day. At the end of the phone interview I was offered a final interview the next week. The final round interview was set up just for me (no other interviewees) round robin style with a Director, a Senior Manager, and a Partner. After promptly sending "Thank You"emails that day, I received my offer less than 24 hours after leaving the office.

My experience with this firm's recruiting is only positive. Everybody acts like a professional, but more creative and flexible and far less political than when I interviewed with the Big 4.

Interview Question – Question series posed by Firm Partner: (A)Why did you choose Accounting? (B)Why public Accounting vs private accounting? (C)What do you expect from Grant Thornton as an employer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I had calculated a minimum negotiation number I needed for reasonable living expenses, but the firm beat my number by $2,000 annually with great benefits including free Becker and CPA pass bonuses. For an A1 my salary is very competitive so I just signed on the dotted line with no negotiation.

Audit Associate Interview

Audit Associate
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in January 2012.

Interview Details – On campus interview with manager, which was pretty basic behavioral type of questions. Invited to office for super day and interviewed with 3 different levels (manager, senior, and partner)

Interview Question – Why GT?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview Details – I submitted my application through my university job board and it took about 2 weeks to hear back. I attended a pre-interview reception the day before my interview and got to talk to many current GT employees. The interview was mostly behavioral and laid back, but you could tell they wanted accounting students over finance students which makes perfect sense.

Interview Question – No difficult questions..just a review of my resume   Answer Question

BAS Associate Interview

BAS Associate
Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview Details – I first want to say that Grant Thornton is an amazing place to start or continue your career. The people are so great and the work creates extreme personal and professional growth.

I initially was given a referral and received a phone call from a recruiter at Grant Thornton. We had the phone interview then, and some questions along the line of "Tell me about a time when something unexpected happened and what you did?". Also was asked to describe a time when I worked in a team and there was friction. After that phone interview, I scheduled an on-site visit for about 2 weeks later.

The on-site visit was great. I interviewed with 2 different managers and was asked mainly why I want to work for Grant Thornton and why I want to get into consulting. I was also asked about what specific types of consulting I want to get into. I was taken out to lunch with 3 other employees and everything went well. After that interview, I was called about a week later and told that everyone really liked me, but there was no budget to bring me on at that time and I would be called back when something opened up.

About 3 months later I was called by the same recruiter to set up another on-site interview with 3 different managers. This office visit was also great. I was taken out to dinner the night before the interview with 2 associates, 1 manager, and 1 other person that was interviewing. The interview the next day was great. I met so many different employees and everyone is extremely personable. I interviewed with 3 different managers and was called the next business day with an offer.

My biggest advise is to understand your personal and professional goals and how they line up with Grant Thornton has to offer. Grant Thornton highly values its culture and the "fit" with an employee. Before my interviews, read a book on how to more effectively answer interview questions, how to ask better interview questions, and I came onto this website, took every question I could find, and made sure I had an answer for every one of them. I also knew my resume very well and was able to explain everything on it. Be sure you have questions to ask the person interviewing you. Try to customize them too and not have them be the very general questions like "can you describe a typical day". Most of all, be yourself and get to know the people you will be working with.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I am currently negotiating moving expenses, however the salary offer is very competitive.