Grant Thornton

Very Easy Interview

Tax Associate Interview

Tax Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview Details – Very easy met with 3 people for about 25-30 minutes each and was called back the following week and received an offer. Everyone was very friendly and people around the office were great.

Interview Question – Straight forward. Basically walk me through your resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – straight forward.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2013.

Interview Details – First round interview on campus, followed by office visit in New York

Interview Question – Nothing Unexpected. Mostly about resume and fit questions. Nothing Technical.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in January 2012.

Interview Details – On campus interview with manager, which was pretty basic behavioral type of questions. Invited to office for super day and interviewed with 3 different levels (manager, senior, and partner)

Interview Question – Why GT?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Advisory Associate Interview

Advisory Associate
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview Details – Campus recruiting. Three weeks later had an office visit. Was given an offer a week later.

Interview Question – Interviews were all behavioral based, typical questions   Answer Question

Audit Intern Interview

Audit Intern
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2013.

Interview Details – Started the interview process on campus at a recruiting fair, was then invited by the firm for an on campus interview with alumni employees. after this was then invited to the firm for a day of three interviews with partner manager and HR. Overall was a very smooth and easy process and the firm did a great job of making everyone feel comfortable

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time where you were supposed to lead a team but then failed and how did you respond to this failure   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation its a set rate

Tax Associate Interview

Tax Associate
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview Details – I went through campus recruiting. I wanted to work in the NYC office, but had to go through my local office's recruitment and then receive a referral to NYC. I did not go to any GT events on campus, I stopped by their tabling once, and spoke with the recruiter at the career fair. Selected for an on campus interview.

The night before the interview GT had a social as all the accounting firms do. The social consisted for an hour and a half scavenger hunt, then a hour and a half social. I don't know what student has three hours to fork over in the middle of the week. I did not attend the scavenger hunt but went to the social. Laugh and talked with the recruiter briefly, a staff member extensively and she introduced me to a partner in the service line I wanted to work. He and I spoke about accounting, the position and then general things. The day of the interview I will be honest, I was like 30 mins late! However, they made me feel very welcomed, and assured me that it was okay. (Really great people). The interview was brief since I was so late! Asked me about my resume, why I wanted to work in NYC. Maybe a week later received an email congratulating me on receiving an office visit to GT NYC.

Office visit:

All the interviewees (like 30 of us) were first waiting in the lobby wondering what was happening. We were finally lead to a big conference room with goody bags, and assigned seats. After we walked around the room (mind you there are like 30 of us, the two recruiters, and the 30 office buddies all in this one big conference room) looking for our seat as the same time our office buddy was looking for us. The recruiters were frantically trying to pass out each interviewee's interview schedule. As all of this is going on you have to opportunity to grab some breakfast and talk to your buddy for a little bit. A partner comes in talks about how great GT has been for him. He came Anderson blah, blah, blah.

After the presentation my buddy and I were off to my first interview, we laughed and talked a little bit, asked him some questions about what he does, how he likes it etc.

Had three interviews, a manager, a senior manager and a partner. Besides the partner, the interviewers had only worked there less than a year. My office buddy actually cracked a joke to another staff member that the guy who was listed on my interview schedule as a senior manager definitely was not a senior manager.

Interviews were basic behavioral, resume and general questions, made sure to ask questions about their position and the firm. Interviews weren't bad at all. 30 mins each, very conversational.

After interview went to lunch with my buddy plus 4 others. Went to a Kosher restaurant that was pretty good. Had some pretty good convo, everyone seemed exactly the same and I was nothing like them. They all seemed like Big Four rejects, not saying this to be disrespectful or insult, but that is the feeling I received.

A little over two weeks later I receive an email that I have an offer. I am declining. The NYC office is nothing like my local GT office. If I had previous exposure to the NYC office, I would have not applied. Seems very disorganized, and very second best. The people were nice that I met, some really great people! But I know recruiting is supposed to paint a picture of the ideal office and in my mind if this chaotic mess is what is being put on display, I can only imagine what the actual work like is like, No thank you.

Interview Question – "Do you want to work on individual?" I said "No, more corporate" He replies "But I thought you wanted to work in financial services not corporate." (In my mind I already knew this place is not for me)   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Overall unprofessional, seems like a fallback plan more than a career goal. Not for me, but very great people.

Audit Intern Interview

Audit Intern
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview Details – I recruited through my college's on campus recruiting. I had an interview with a campus recruiter and 2 weeks later, I was invited for a "super day." I interviewed with an HR manager, a senior manager and partner. I received an offer the same day.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty straightforward   Answer Question

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Human Resources Assistant
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Grant Thornton in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for the position at the end of November. After periodically checking on their website to see the status of my application, I received an email requesting a phone interview in mid-January. Within 2 days we had a time set up for 2 days later (so a 4 day span). I was called by the regional recruiter who was located in PA I believe (the position was in NYC). It started off as standard fare: walk me through your resume and experience, etc. It then took an odd turn, when I feel the interviewer was sort of delving too much into my personal matters and underplaying a position I had because it was an unpaid internship- (uh, sorry I wanted experience in my desired field?!). I was actually asked, "well what do you do for money then?" and when I came up with some reply it was as if he still wouldn't let go (I'm a tough cookie, but judgement dripping from his voice-ugh) . Interviewer then told that the hiring manager might want someone with more experience, but that I'd hear back from them.... sure. I had written them off after the vibes from that call and good thing, because they eventually filled the position- I at least would have expected a rejection message; overall it was professional enough.

Interview Question – So what do you do for money then?   Answer Question

New York, NY

Interview Details – First communications began at a Meet the Mid-Size Firms event, after applying online through schools career services I found out I was chosen as an interview candidate. A pre-interview event was held before first rounds and they hosted a pre-interview event at a restaurant in the city 2nd round.

Interview Question – Name a time in your life you had to deal with a difficult person in a group project and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Audit Staff Interview

Audit Staff
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2012.

Interview Details – I was accepted for the first round of interviews through on-campus recruiting. The day of the interview, I was late for the 10 AM meeting because of an accident on the roads during my commute. Instead of being rude, the Grant Thornton employees embraced me when I arrived an hour late and were able to reschedule me for later in the day. The interview was fairly brief and it involved discussing my résumé and interest in the position. I received an email roily two weeks later saying that I was not chosen for the second round of interviews. No hard feelings though. The GT people were great about my situation and seemed to be really laid back.

Interview Question – Nothing crazy. Since I have an Economics background, I was asked how I felt about current monetary policy which kind of threw me for a loop.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Grant Thornton

Worked for Grant Thornton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Grant Thornton interview questions and advice in New York City, NY. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Grant Thornton employees and interview candidates.