Grant Thornton

Updated Feb 16, 2015

2.5

Tax Associate II Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Applied online a while ago (experienced hire)
    Initial phone screen about thirty minutes, about one day or two afterwards got the office interview invitation
    Two partners and one senior manager in the office about three hours

Pretty casual and pleasant atmosphere. They mainly focused on the work experience instead of behavioral questions.

Try to be confidence, positive, and easy to talk to. Do not get nervous or stressed.

Interview Questions
    • Mainly about work experience
      None behavioral questions.
      Pleasant and casual

Answer Question

BAS IT Audit Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Grant Thornton.

I applied through campus recruiting and was contacted one month later. As usual, one phone screening follow by a super day with three full time senior associates and directors. The interviews are all behavioral. Just make sure you know why the company, why the position, what you can contribute, know how to solve conflicts, know the position, know the company...

Audit Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

I have gotten in touch with a recruiter and she set me up with a Super Day after a quick phone screen. The phone screen was mostly behavioral questions, so it wasn't difficult. At the Super Day, everyone met in their conference room where breakfast was served and everyone introduced themselves. A partner also came in and talked about future plans for the firm. The interview process was a breeze. It was 3 30 minute interviews with 1 break thrown in there. Again, it was mostly behavioral questions. After, the candidates were treated out for lunch with fellow associates and experienced associates. It was good to know them more on a personal level, without the professional mindset.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Grant Thornton in November 2014.

Was called a week after applying. Had a phone interview lasted about 15mins. Was told the next step would be a formal interview then they would make a decision .

Interview Questions
    • What kind of experience do you have to relate directly to this position   Answer Question
    Negotiable based on experience

Tax Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

Very easy met with 3 people for about 25-30 minutes each and was called back the following week and received an offer. Everyone was very friendly and people around the office were great.

Interview Questions
    • Straight forward. Basically walk me through your resume.   Answer Question
    straight forward.

Advisory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

Campus recruiting. Three weeks later had an office visit. Was given an offer a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Interviews were all behavioral based, typical questions   Answer Question

Tax Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

I went through campus recruiting. I wanted to work in the NYC office, but had to go through my local office's recruitment and then receive a referral to NYC. I did not go to any GT events on campus, I stopped by their tabling once, and spoke with the recruiter at the career fair. Selected for an on campus interview.

The night before the interview GT had a social as all the accounting firms do. The social consisted for an hour and a half scavenger hunt, then a hour and a half social. I don't know what student has three hours to fork over in the middle of the week. I did not attend the scavenger hunt but went to the social. Laugh and talked with the recruiter briefly, a staff member extensively and she introduced me to a partner in the service line I wanted to work. He and I spoke about accounting, the position and then general things. The day of the interview I will be honest, I was like 30 mins late! However, they made me feel very welcomed, and assured me that it was okay. (Really great people). The interview was brief since I was so late! Asked me about my resume, why I wanted to work in NYC. Maybe a week later received an email congratulating me on receiving an office visit to GT NYC.

Office visit:

All the interviewees (like 30 of us) were first waiting in the lobby wondering what was happening. We were finally lead to a big conference room with goody bags, and assigned seats. After we walked around the room (mind you there are like 30 of us, the two recruiters, and the 30 office buddies all in this one big conference room) looking for our seat as the same time our office buddy was looking for us. The recruiters were frantically trying to pass out each interviewee's interview schedule. As all of this is going on you have to opportunity to grab some breakfast and talk to your buddy for a little bit. A partner comes in talks about how great GT has been for him. He came Anderson blah, blah, blah.

After the presentation my buddy and I were off to my first interview, we laughed and talked a little bit, asked him some questions about what he does, how he likes it etc.

Had three interviews, a manager, a senior manager and a partner. Besides the partner, the interviewers had only worked there less than a year. My office buddy actually cracked a joke to another staff member that the guy who was listed on my interview schedule as a senior manager definitely was not a senior manager.

Interviews were basic behavioral, resume and general questions, made sure to ask questions about their position and the firm. Interviews weren't bad at all. 30 mins each, very conversational.

After interview went to lunch with my buddy plus 4 others. Went to a Kosher restaurant that was pretty good. Had some pretty good convo, everyone seemed exactly the same and I was nothing like them. They all seemed like Big Four rejects, not saying this to be disrespectful or insult, but that is the feeling I received.

A little over two weeks later I receive an email that I have an offer. I am declining. The NYC office is nothing like my local GT office. If I had previous exposure to the NYC office, I would have not applied. Seems very disorganized, and very second best. The people were nice that I met, some really great people! But I know recruiting is supposed to paint a picture of the ideal office and in my mind if this chaotic mess is what is being put on display, I can only imagine what the actual work like is like, No thank you.

Interview Questions
    • "Do you want to work on individual?" I said "No, more corporate" He replies "But I thought you wanted to work in financial services not corporate." (In my mind I already knew this place is not for me)   Answer Question

Overall unprofessional, seems like a fallback plan more than a career goal. Not for me, but very great people.

Audit Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2013.

Started the interview process on campus at a recruiting fair, was then invited by the firm for an on campus interview with alumni employees. after this was then invited to the firm for a day of three interviews with partner manager and HR. Overall was a very smooth and easy process and the firm did a great job of making everyone feel comfortable

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time where you were supposed to lead a team but then failed and how did you respond to this failure   Answer Question
    No Negotiation its a set rate

Audit Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2013.

First round interview on campus, followed by office visit in New York

Interview Questions
    • Nothing Unexpected. Mostly about resume and fit questions. Nothing Technical.   Answer Question

Audit Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

I recruited through my college's on campus recruiting. I had an interview with a campus recruiter and 2 weeks later, I was invited for a "super day." I interviewed with an HR manager, a senior manager and partner. I received an offer the same day.