Grant Thornton Tax Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 27, 2015

2.4

Tax Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

Applied online and received a phone call from a recruiter the following week. After an initial phone screening I was flown out to the office where I was interviewed by a manger and partner.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, although It was mostly questions about experience. They are trying to gauge whether you will be a good fit for the firm. Don't be too nervous. Let your personality shine through! Don't be afraid to be honest. They enjoyed hearing my reasoning for choosing a small school.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Grant Thornton

Tax Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

I started the interview process after meeting a representative from the company at the career fair. I applied to the job posting for the full-time tax associate position on my school's career website. The first round interview was on campus and I interviewed with two managers in tax at Grant Thornton for 30 minutes each. The company had a dinner the night before the interview where I met one of the people I interviewed with the next day. Within 2 days of the initial interview, I received a notification that I was invited for a second-round office interview. The office interview was 8am-2pm, which included breakfast, two interviews with partners, and lunch with two senior associates. The company held a dinner the night before for all the interviewees, where again, I met one of the people I interviewed with the next day. Overall, the interviews were extremely laid-back and casual. During the first-round interview the managers asked a few behavioral questions, but it was mostly conversational. At the second-round office interview, it was all conversational.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions. Asked "Where do you see yourself in 10 years"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Grant Thornton (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I had a first interview consisting of two 30 minute interviews with Tax Partners. I received an offer from a partner a few hours later. They invited me to do an office visit before I had to decide to accept or reject their offer. I went to the Chicago office and I was nice, but they are in the process of moving to a new office at a different location so my experience there is not as relevant. Overall it was a pretty fast and positive experience.

Chose a Big 4 Firm instead

Tax Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

Interviewed with two partners. Went over resume. Standard questions like why tax, tell me something about yourself, how do you differentiate between different accounting firms, preference in compliance or consulting. Gracious people. Applied independently...Took a month after turned in initial app until callback. Went out to lunch with Manager and Associate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton (New York, NY).

Interview

Very easy met with 3 people for about 25-30 minutes each and was called back the following week and received an offer. Everyone was very friendly and people around the office were great.

Interview Questions

• Straight forward. Basically walk me through your resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation

straight forward.

Tax Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

It took about a week. I contacted a recruiter and she set me up with an Senior Associate. Being my first interview, I did not expect some of the questions. Phone interview: basic questions, be more professional over personal at all times. He was friendly and made me at ease, but not enough preparation. Asked tell me about yourself, strengths and weaknesses, something about yourself not on the resume.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Interview

Applied through campus job fair. Process took around one month from initial interview to job offer. On campus interview was first. Following the on campus interview, I was invited to visit the office. At the office visit, met with several different people, ranging from manager to partner. Great experience overall.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Grant Thornton (New York, NY).

Interview

I went through campus recruiting. I wanted to work in the NYC office, but had to go through my local office's recruitment and then receive a referral to NYC. I did not go to any GT events on campus, I stopped by their tabling once, and spoke with the recruiter at the career fair. Selected for an on campus interview. The night before the interview GT had a social as all the accounting firms do. The social consisted for an hour and a half scavenger hunt, then a hour and a half social. I don't know what student has three hours to fork over in the middle of the week. I did not attend the scavenger hunt but went to the social. Laugh and talked with the recruiter briefly, a staff member extensively and she introduced me to a partner in the service line I wanted to work. He and I spoke about accounting, the position and then general things. The day of the interview I will be honest, I was like 30 mins late! However, they made me feel very welcomed, and assured me that it was okay. (Really great people). The interview was brief since I was so late! Asked me about my resume, why I wanted to work in NYC. Maybe a week later received an email congratulating me on receiving an office visit to GT NYC. Office visit: All the interviewees (like 30 of us) were first waiting in the lobby wondering what was happening. We were finally lead to a big conference room with goody bags, and assigned seats. After we walked around the room (mind you there are like 30 of us, the two recruiters, and the 30 office buddies all in this one big conference room) looking for our seat as the same time our office buddy was looking for us. The recruiters were frantically trying to pass out each interviewee's interview schedule. As all of this is going on you have to opportunity to grab some breakfast and talk to your buddy for a little bit. A partner comes in talks about how great GT has been for him. He came Anderson blah, blah, blah. After the presentation my buddy and I were off to my first interview, we laughed and talked a little bit, asked him some questions about what he does, how he likes it etc. Had three interviews, a manager, a senior manager and a partner. Besides the partner, the interviewers had only worked there less than a year. My office buddy actually cracked a joke to another staff member that the guy who was listed on my interview schedule as a senior manager definitely was not a senior manager. Interviews were basic behavioral, resume and general questions, made sure to ask questions about their position and the firm. Interviews weren't bad at all. 30 mins each, very conversational. After interview went to lunch with my buddy plus 4 others. Went to a Kosher restaurant that was pretty good. Had some pretty good convo, everyone seemed exactly the same and I was nothing like them. They all seemed like Big Four rejects, not saying this to be disrespectful or insult, but that is the feeling I received. A little over two weeks later I receive an email that I have an offer. I am declining. The NYC office is nothing like my local GT office. If I had previous exposure to the NYC office, I would have not applied. Seems very disorganized, and very second best. The people were nice that I met, some really great people! But I know recruiting is supposed to paint a picture of the ideal office and in my mind if this chaotic mess is what is being put on display, I can only imagine what the actual work like is like, No thank you.

Interview Questions

• "Do you want to work on individual?" I said "No, more corporate" He replies "But I thought you wanted to work in financial services not corporate." (In my mind I already knew this place is not for me)   Answer Question

Overall unprofessional, seems like a fallback plan more than a career goal. Not for me, but very great people.

Tax Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

I had lots of exposure to the company through Meet the Firms and Beta Alpha Psi events. The first interview was a 1:1 on campus interview. The second interview consisted of 3 - 1:1 in office interviews with 2 partners and 1 senior manager. Group lunch after the office interviews, 2 candidates and 3 associates. Received an offer within 2 days of second interview.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time in which you had to be relatively quick in coming to a decision.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

Two 30 minutes meetings with some structure but mostly good conversation. The team in Portland is very nice and the recruiter has done a great job as well. They are a bit slow on communication at times, however, maintain professionalism. I would not try to prepare too much with things like STAR answers and all of that jazz.