Grant Thornton Tax Associate Interview Questions

2.3

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Very easy met with 3 people for about 25-30 minutes each and was called back the following week and received an offer. Everyone was very friendly and people around the office were great.

Interview Questions
  • Straight forward. Basically walk me through your resume.   Answer Question
straight forward.

Other Interview Reviews for Grant Thornton

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2012.

The recruiting process starts on campus during the sophomore/junior year of undergrad. There is a two-day externship where candidates come out to the office and learn details about what the work is like and the kind of clients we serve. There are interviews on the second day and offers are extended shortly after for internships. The summer internship lasts from June to the end of July. During this time, interns work on the same projects as regular staff (although on less technical tasks, at first). At the end of the internship, more interviews are held and a roundtable is held for staff to discuss their impressions (since they worked most closely with the interns). At that point, full-time offers are handed out to the selected interns.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked any technical questions or case study questions. At that point, the interviews were primarily conversational to measure whether I would be a good fit for the office culture.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase. It was a flat compensation offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Applied through campus job fair. Process took around one month from initial interview to job offer. On campus interview was first. Following the on campus interview, I was invited to visit the office. At the office visit, met with several different people, ranging from manager to partner. Great experience overall.

Tax Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

It took about a week. I contacted a recruiter and she set me up with an Senior Associate. Being my first interview, I did not expect some of the questions. Phone interview: basic questions, be more professional over personal at all times. He was friendly and made me at ease, but not enough preparation. Asked tell me about yourself, strengths and weaknesses, something about yourself not on the resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

I went through campus recruiting. I wanted to work in the NYC office, but had to go through my local office's recruitment and then receive a referral to NYC. I did not go to any GT events on campus, I stopped by their tabling once, and spoke with the recruiter at the career fair. Selected for an on campus interview.

The night before the interview GT had a social as all the accounting firms do. The social consisted for an hour and a half scavenger hunt, then a hour and a half social. I don't know what student has three hours to fork over in the middle of the week. I did not attend the scavenger hunt but went to the social. Laugh and talked with the recruiter briefly, a staff member extensively and she introduced me to a partner in the service line I wanted to work. He and I spoke about accounting, the position and then general things. The day of the interview I will be honest, I was like 30 mins late! However, they made me feel very welcomed, and assured me that it was okay. (Really great people). The interview was brief since I was so late! Asked me about my resume, why I wanted to work in NYC. Maybe a week later received an email congratulating me on receiving an office visit to GT NYC.

Office visit:

All the interviewees (like 30 of us) were first waiting in the lobby wondering what was happening. We were finally lead to a big conference room with goody bags, and assigned seats. After we walked around the room (mind you there are like 30 of us, the two recruiters, and the 30 office buddies all in this one big conference room) looking for our seat as the same time our office buddy was looking for us. The recruiters were frantically trying to pass out each interviewee's interview schedule. As all of this is going on you have to opportunity to grab some breakfast and talk to your buddy for a little bit. A partner comes in talks about how great GT has been for him. He came Anderson blah, blah, blah.

After the presentation my buddy and I were off to my first interview, we laughed and talked a little bit, asked him some questions about what he does, how he likes it etc.

Had three interviews, a manager, a senior manager and a partner. Besides the partner, the interviewers had only worked there less than a year. My office buddy actually cracked a joke to another staff member that the guy who was listed on my interview schedule as a senior manager definitely was not a senior manager.

Interviews were basic behavioral, resume and general questions, made sure to ask questions about their position and the firm. Interviews weren't bad at all. 30 mins each, very conversational.

After interview went to lunch with my buddy plus 4 others. Went to a Kosher restaurant that was pretty good. Had some pretty good convo, everyone seemed exactly the same and I was nothing like them. They all seemed like Big Four rejects, not saying this to be disrespectful or insult, but that is the feeling I received.

A little over two weeks later I receive an email that I have an offer. I am declining. The NYC office is nothing like my local GT office. If I had previous exposure to the NYC office, I would have not applied. Seems very disorganized, and very second best. The people were nice that I met, some really great people! But I know recruiting is supposed to paint a picture of the ideal office and in my mind if this chaotic mess is what is being put on display, I can only imagine what the actual work like is like, No thank you.

Interview Questions
    • "Do you want to work on individual?" I said "No, more corporate" He replies "But I thought you wanted to work in financial services not corporate." (In my mind I already knew this place is not for me)   Answer Question

Overall unprofessional, seems like a fallback plan more than a career goal. Not for me, but very great people.

Tax Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

I had lots of exposure to the company through Meet the Firms and Beta Alpha Psi events. The first interview was a 1:1 on campus interview. The second interview consisted of 3 - 1:1 in office interviews with 2 partners and 1 senior manager. Group lunch after the office interviews, 2 candidates and 3 associates. Received an offer within 2 days of second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time in which you had to be relatively quick in coming to a decision.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2012.

I started the recruitment process through campus recruitment (for an associate out-of-college hire). I was impressed by the people I met on campus and went through the standard first-round interview. For the office interview, they used a standard dinner the night before the interview format. While the people I interviewed with were nice and engaging, I was not impressed with the firm. The dinner the night before was miles from the hotel, and transportation was not arranged. My interviews had to be switched after one of my interviewers was late to work. Overall, nice people, poor organization.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do differently if you could re-do your college experience and why>   Answer Question

Tax Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Grant Thornton.

It was a campus interview. Their staff were pretty nice to me. The senior manger who interviewed me was kinda conservative. They are very proud of their culture. The most important thing is to be able to explain why you want to work for them as opposed to big 4

Interview Questions

Worked for Grant Thornton? Contribute to the Community!