Grant Thornton Tax Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

Two 30 minutes meetings with some structure but mostly good conversation. The team in Portland is very nice and the recruiter has done a great job as well. They are a bit slow on communication at times, however, maintain professionalism. I would not try to prepare too much with things like STAR answers and all of that jazz.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Grant Thornton

Tax Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2014.

Interview

Initial phone screening with very basic questions: why GT? why public accounting? Why tax? Followed by an in-person, panel interview with two managers (very laid back). Went over resume together and talked about the role. The last round was a case study that had to be prepared in advance and presented during a 1 hour meeting. Fairly basic. Just show your enthusiasm for the company and the role, which I lacked.

Interview Questions

• Might ask a random question you are not expecting to see how agile you are.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Grant Thornton (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I had a first interview consisting of two 30 minute interviews with Tax Partners. I received an offer from a partner a few hours later. They invited me to do an office visit before I had to decide to accept or reject their offer. I went to the Chicago office and I was nice, but they are in the process of moving to a new office at a different location so my experience there is not as relevant. Overall it was a pretty fast and positive experience.

Chose a Big 4 Firm instead

Tax Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

Interviewed with two partners. Went over resume. Standard questions like why tax, tell me something about yourself, how do you differentiate between different accounting firms, preference in compliance or consulting. Gracious people. Applied independently...Took a month after turned in initial app until callback. Went out to lunch with Manager and Associate.

Tax Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

I started the interview process after meeting a representative from the company at the career fair. I applied to the job posting for the full-time tax associate position on my school's career website. The first round interview was on campus and I interviewed with two managers in tax at Grant Thornton for 30 minutes each. The company had a dinner the night before the interview where I met one of the people I interviewed with the next day.

Within 2 days of the initial interview, I received a notification that I was invited for a second-round office interview. The office interview was 8am-2pm, which included breakfast, two interviews with partners, and lunch with two senior associates. The company held a dinner the night before for all the interviewees, where again, I met one of the people I interviewed with the next day. Overall, the interviews were extremely laid-back and casual. During the first-round interview the managers asked a few behavioral questions, but it was mostly conversational. At the second-round office interview, it was all conversational.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions. Asked "Where do you see yourself in 10 years"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton (Boston, MA) in February 2012.

Interview

Try to remember the names of any person from Grant Thornton that you meet. The HR manager will ask who do you know from the company already. Review about the company. The question " what do you know about Grant Thornton?" is a must prepare question.

Interview Questions

• Prepare to explain the reason behind anything you said. For example, you told them that you love playing soccer. They will ask you how did you become loving playing soccer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Grant Thornton (New York, NY).

Interview

Very easy met with 3 people for about 25-30 minutes each and was called back the following week and received an offer. Everyone was very friendly and people around the office were great.

Interview Questions

• Straight forward. Basically walk me through your resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation

straight forward.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Grant Thornton (McLean, VA) in October 2012.

Interview

The recruiting process starts on campus during the sophomore/junior year of undergrad. There is a two-day externship where candidates come out to the office and learn details about what the work is like and the kind of clients we serve. There are interviews on the second day and offers are extended shortly after for internships. The summer internship lasts from June to the end of July. During this time, interns work on the same projects as regular staff (although on less technical tasks, at first). At the end of the internship, more interviews are held and a roundtable is held for staff to discuss their impressions (since they worked most closely with the interns). At that point, full-time offers are handed out to the selected interns.

Interview Questions

• I was not asked any technical questions or case study questions. At that point, the interviews were primarily conversational to measure whether I would be a good fit for the office culture.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. It was a flat compensation offer.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Interview

Applied through campus job fair. Process took around one month from initial interview to job offer. On campus interview was first. Following the on campus interview, I was invited to visit the office. At the office visit, met with several different people, ranging from manager to partner. Great experience overall.

Tax Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

It took about a week. I contacted a recruiter and she set me up with an Senior Associate. Being my first interview, I did not expect some of the questions. Phone interview: basic questions, be more professional over personal at all times. He was friendly and made me at ease, but not enough preparation. Asked tell me about yourself, strengths and weaknesses, something about yourself not on the resume.