Great American Insurance Company

Great American Insurance Company Interview Questions

Updated Mar 14, 2015
Updated Mar 14, 2015

UnderwritingSummer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Great American Insurance Company.

Was contacted via LinkedIn by HR specialist, who said she would be on campus the next week and wanted to set up a time to interview with me. She also stated that candidates passing this round of interviews would be flown out to their headquarters in Cincinnati for final interviews. I applied online through my university's career website. The HR specialist did not give me a good or professional impression from the beginning - she was very informal and sent several obviously rushed e-mails checkered with spelling, grammar, and usage mistakes. She ended up rescheduling the interview at least two times.

The interview was very casual. The HR professional brought with her an entry-level employee who had completed the internship I was interviewing for. The interview began with a few mild behavioral questions, but finally turned into a casual conversation about the university and underwriting in general between all three of us. The few questions that were asked gave me the opportunity to showcase my knowledge of the insurance industry, and both the HR specialist and the entry-level employee expressed how amazed they were at my knowledge of the industry and how prepared I was in terms of knowing what fields within insurance interest me. About halfway through the interview, the HR specialist asked me what my GPA was. Upon realizing that my GPA was lower than the preferred GPA listed on the internship posting, the interviewers seemed to shut down and began to tell me all about their company rather than asking more questions to let me showcase my qualifications.

Following the interview, I was e-mailed several times by the HR specialist asking to confirm my GPA. It turns out that the GPA requirement for the company is a 3.5.

After the e-mail requesting confirmation of my GPA, the company simply never got back to me with a decision either way, which I found incredibly inconsiderate, especially on account of the fact that most college students are making decisions about other internship offers contingent upon hearing back from each company.

I find it unusual that this company has a 3.5 GPA requirement. 3.5 is reasonable for prestigious finance internships, not insurance internships. The way my business school and many others are set up, it is more difficult to get into high-demand majors such as finance or accounting than it is to get into smaller programs like Risk Management and Insurance. For this reason, many of the most talented and hard-working people in the risk management program simply joined it because they did not have good enough grades to get into Finance or another high-demand major. It is therefore that I feel that setting a 3.5 GPA expectation is cutting out a huge section of potential talent, particularly when the GPA requirement for the majority of the rest of the insurance industry (including several much more prestigious companies, some of which I received offers from) is 3.0. I know that some companies, particularly those in insurance, have new hire software which will not physically permit them to hire anyone who does not meet the company's required GPA, so that is likely a reason I was rejected from this internship, but I am disappointed that for this company, GPA outweighed how impressed they were with my insurance expertise and previous internship experience (which to me seems more indicative of actual job performance). Regardless, at the very least, they should have given me the common courtesy of informing me that I was being rejected.

Interview Questions
    • Q: What interests you about underwriting?

Q: Do you have any idea what specialization you would like to focus on within underwriting?

Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Great American Insurance Company.

I ran several technical interviews. I was given complete control to run the interview however I deemed fit, so I'd expect that you'd find great variety across different groups. We would have ~3 technical staff in attendance and go from the applicants resume. I did try to assess the breadth and depth of the applicants experience and knowledge, so I also expected to get to questions the applicant could not answer or have difficulty answering. Very informal. Very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were taken from resume, so something like, explain your role with this listed experience. Then if they did, X, I would ask a more detailed question about X.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Great American Insurance Company.

Called me for an interview, took an easy financial skills test, interviewed with the hiring manager, got the job by the end of the week. Just had to get a drug test before officially accepting the job.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was not very difficult, it was more just a conversation with the manager so that he could get to know me. The financial skills test was a bit frustrating, but it was supposed to be challenging.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Senior Underwriter Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Great American Insurance Company in April 2014.

Approximately 6 weeks from initial interview to offer. Relaxed interview process, first with hiring manager, then local team, and finally Home Office including the Division President and referral Underwriter. Very welcoming, team dynamic and great communication through the process including providing the who, what, when, where for meeting the out of town team. Excellent organization and people.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected or difficult if you really know your job, the industry and changes that occurred over time or as the result of some event such as 9/11 or BPA.   Answer Question

The Medical Benefit package only included one offering that was not offset by the salary and other benefits. I would have taken the offer had the salary offset the medical cost, it's a great company with intelligent, nice people.

Lead Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Great American Insurance Company.

Entire process took one month. First a phone interview then an in-person interview with eight executives.

Interview Questions
    • When have you had to deal with people who are not motivated or lazy?   Answer Question

Corporate Governance Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Great American Insurance Company in November 2013.

Initial communications were fine. Interviewed with 2 principals; never received feedback.
    One principal was more of an interrogator, extremely difficult to read and very cold. also interviewed with other dept. attorneys but due to schedule changes they were unable to spend more than 5 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • demonstrate my flexibility when asked to jump into a project unrelated to my specific role.   View Answer

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Great American Insurance Company in November 2013.

Initial phone interview with recruiter - roughly 15 mins
    On-site interview 1 on 1 with 2 different people
    Another on-site interview 1 on 1 with 2 more people
    They use a book with pre-tailored questions

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you did something a customer didn't want and what you did to fix it   Answer Question

IT Co-Op Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Great American Insurance Company.

I got a call from HR asking me to come in for an interview. Came in interviewed with two different people. It was super laid back not really that technical and it was more of a conversation between two people who did know each other. I asked how long the process was they said 2 weeks (had a lot of people to interview). It was only one for them to make me a job offer!

Interview Questions
    • There were none but if interviewing for a technical position sometimes they will make you do some type of assessment.   Answer Question
    For an intern there is no negotiation, you either take it or leave it. You speak directly with HR at this point.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Great American Insurance Company.

My dad's friend recommended me for an intern position at this company. I emailed my resume and they called me. When they called, they asked in a very informal way what I was looking to get out of my intern experience. I said I was looking to learn more about finance and the entire business structure. They called again about a week and a half later and offered me an internship in the Life Department.

Interview Questions
    • They asked very broad and general questions about what I wanted to learn for the summer. *Drug test required!*   Answer Question

Underwriter Trainee Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Great American Insurance Company in March 2013.

You apply online, they schedule an appointment for a phone screen, on site interview at the GAI Tower in downtown Cincinnati, 4 interviews one after another with lunch with HR rep. Offer extended if you're a match.

They ask you behavioral questions. But you need to show enthusiasm.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most difficult subject in school and why?   View Answer
    I asked what kind of flexibility there was for the salary. They asked if I had another offer and I said I had. I gave them the offer from the other company and they matched it. So there is some room to negotiate.