Great Clips

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hair Stylist

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Great Clips.

Interview Details – My first interview was a one on one with the general manager. She was very friendly and definitely made me feel comfortable. After the interview process I took an assessment and signed a paper allowing them to do a background check on me. After that a technical interview was scheduled. When I came to the technical the GM wasn't there so the stylists watched me do the technical. The three haircuts I had to do were a long layered haircut, an inverted bob, and a fade. My haircuts weren't the best but one of the stylists showed me how to correct them and told me I would learn with more practice. I honestly thought I wouldn't get hired but then a few days later I got a call and I was hired.

Interview Question – You have to give examples of many different situations for example when you got into an argument with a coworker, when a customer was upset and how you dealt with it, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't try negotiating, but I wish I would have. After I work for a year I plan to ask for a raise.

Very Easy Interview

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Great Clips in June 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the owner, but he was already familiar with me from visiting competition salon which i was working in

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Hair Stylist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Great Clips in December 2011.

Interview Details – Initial interview is the basic interview questions to see if you will fit in company culture. Be prepared to be asked how much you love cuts and perms, and don't mention it if you like doing color. This is not the place for that.
It is usually one on one, or there will be the assistant manager and the head manager. Do no wear leggings, dress in business casual.

Interview Question – Most difficult was actually being asked to do a zero fade when I was right out of beauty school and had no clue.   View Answer

Niles, MI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Great Clips.

Interview Details – I inquired online. The next day I was asked to come in for an interview. There were two interviews. The first was one on one interview with the manager. The second was a technical interview.

Interview Question – There really wasn't a difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really wasn't negotiation. It was a set pay. Above minium wage.

Fayetteville, AR

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Great Clips in June 2009.

Interview Details – I came in and asked for the employment form, filled it, brought it back and the manager called me and asked to come for the interview, so I talked to a manager of the salon, she asked basic questions and mostly was describing their rules, next day i have brought a friend to show a men`s hair cut. So I`v got excepted.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, the manager was talking to me at the first meeting as I`m going to be working there already. They have high turn over of stylist there, they take mostly anybody.   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Great Clips in June 2009.

Interview Details – Racist lady looking down on you but looking at you like .. well maybe you stand a chance. Acting like you are wasting her time , she takes deep breaths and always has people agreeing with her because she cannot be cruel on her own being a coward that thrives on people she needs to make her look better.

Interview Question – none , just looks of disgust.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Just don't let her get the best of you and remember who you are .

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Great Clips in January 2010.

Interview Details – I responded to a ad on Craigslist for hairstylist wanted, and was scheduled to meet the manager at a great clips location. Interview lasted about 30 mins and I was asked to cut a managuin. However I wasn't told in advance of needing to do a haircut and had to go home and get my tools. I was asked to do a clipper men's cut, with a finger lenght on top. Then the manager checked the cut and said I left some corners. Who h I thought that was ridiculous, have you ever tried to do a clipper cut on a manaquin head? IT'S NOT PRETTY!!! P.S. I was hired on the spot and was offered $9.00 hr. Which I wasn't happy with considering I have 15 years experience, I thought I would at least make , $10 hr. But like a lot of Americans, we somtimes take what we can get. I was.enticed by the possibility of earning commision on how many haircuts I did, it was impossible I would have to do a haircut every 10mins. I was also excited about getting health ins.but they only pay for the 1/2 of the cost of the employee, the cost for my family was like $800 a month, that was basicly my month salary.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no flexiability in negotiation.

Very Easy Interview

Wilmington, OH

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Great Clips in April 2008.

Interview Details – When I started this job, I filled out my application and with in a day or so I received a call back from the company asking me for an interview. The interview was very impersonal and was conducted in the lobby during business hours while customers were coming in and out and very short in length.

Interview Question – There really wasn't any difficult questions asked during the interview. As long as you are able to cut hair, do it fast and well and willing to work for pennies, you got the job.   Answer Question

Kennesaw, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Great Clips in April 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process includes two interviews, the first to determine applicant's personality and skills set to see if they have attributes that would add positives to work environment or hinder environment, such as 'drama', which is often inevitable in a salon environment. The second is a technical interview, where you bring your tools in and perform 2 services, one mens haircut and one womens' cut/style.

Interview Question – What is your biggest downfall or negative attribute?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Starting wages in most salons range from $8-9/hr. In my case, even though i was straight out of school, i negotiated up to $9/hr because i had worked for the same Great Clips salon as receptionist 3 yrs prior at $8/hr and didn't see it fair to start at the same pay as i was receiving without my Cosmetology license.

Sparks, NV

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Great Clips in March 2012.

Interview Details – mostly just asked what my strengths and weanesses are in the cosmetology field and what i enjoyed doing best.

Interview Question – what is your biggest weakness in cutting hair?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no

Interviews for Top Jobs at Great Clips

Worked for Great Clips? Contribute to the Community!