Great Clips

Updated Nov 9, 2014

1.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westminster, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westminster, CO

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Great Clips.

I was interviewed by a wonderful womsn. She truly explained everything to me. She explained the pay scale , as well as commission. She showed me great examples of product bonuses.

Interview Questions
    • What can you do to make sure you focus on your customer in the chair with no drstractions?   View Answer
    It was a better wage then I was expecting so I took it

Hairstylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valdosta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valdosta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Great Clips.

I was called back quickly for an interview. The interview was highly stressful. I was asked to perform 10 different haircuts..each one was timed and each was checked thoroughly by the area manager. Everybody is nervous during an interview...they try and stress you out.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the haircuts they require as technicals are difficult.   Answer Question

Awful area manager with bad attitude.

Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NH

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Great Clips in October 2014.

I filled out an application online. When I went in to interview they had me fill out an application that asked questions like, give three references that are licensed and can attest to your technical ability, what advanced classes have you taken, what are your qualifications, how many years haircutting, clipper cutting, color, perm. They took a copy of my cosmetologist license and asked very intense interview questions for two hours. Explained the incentive process, which is extra money per hour if you can do more haircuts on a per day shift, paid out every pay period, which is two weeks. Everything is tracked through numbers, how fast you do a haircut, percentage products sold, how you greet and end business relationship with customer ( if you do all five required steps). Have to show up fifteen minutes early for your shift or you are considered late showing five minutes before shift starts. Target range they want you do a haircut is about 14.7 minutes. Shampoo is extra four dollars to 14 dollar wet, cut and finger blow dry style. She also told me she makes more money here than she ever did anywhere else. So much money. They want me to bring two people, a long layer haircut and a clipper hair cut. We scheduled a time next week, so they can analyze my skills.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell product to a customer - how do you know if a customer is happy when they leave   View Answer
    • What do you know about the company - how did you make a bad situation good   View Answer
    • All the difficult interview questions you read about online - like have you had arguments with coworkers, how have you handled it, what did you do if a customer was unhappy, what is your weakness, how fast can you do a haircut, how do you feel about attending meetings and trainings, what are your longterm goals, why great clips, how do you get the customer to come back, asked three times if I can work a flexible schedule and told me there is no set schedule ever. What services are you good at not good at.   View Answer

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Great Clips.

The manager was polite and on time. the questions were pretty standard. it took about 15 minutes. I got hired and was promised alot of things that were not true at all. the manager is no longer there. The new manager doesnt really know whats going on. I continue to stay because i get paid wether we are busy or not.

Interview Questions
    • trying to explain how to handle a difficult client situation you have dealt with in the past   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robinson, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robinson, PA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Great Clips.

Single interview, 20 minutes tops, much promised and not much delivered. Thought it was a great job the first day. However, my overall experience with Great Clips was not so great. Lots of blame shifting goes on there. No accountability when it comes to the General Manager. If your not in the click it will be hard for you there. The rules are astringent and change often. Lots of undesirable people frequently visit the salon, not to mention the people in the assisted care homes come often and are not well groomed. High production and lots of pressure to produce haircuts of a =passable=quality.Pressure high to sell products to customers. Weekly Rah Rah one- on- one meetings with management to always produce more. I make 8.50 an hour presently, and never received a raise the entire time of my employment with the company. I am truly working at a McDonalds like salon.

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Great Clips.

One easy personal interview, then 1 technical interview where you do a haircut. It was super easy, I feel like i could have done poorly, and still gotten hired just because they are desperate for stylist.

they will hire anybody who has a cosmetology license and a pulse

Hair Stylist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Great Clips.

My first interview was a one on one with the general manager. She was very friendly and definitely made me feel comfortable. After the interview process I took an assessment and signed a paper allowing them to do a background check on me. After that a technical interview was scheduled. When I came to the technical the GM wasn't there so the stylists watched me do the technical. The three haircuts I had to do were a long layered haircut, an inverted bob, and a fade. My haircuts weren't the best but one of the stylists showed me how to correct them and told me I would learn with more practice. I honestly thought I wouldn't get hired but then a few days later I got a call and I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • You have to give examples of many different situations for example when you got into an argument with a coworker, when a customer was upset and how you dealt with it, etc.   Answer Question
    I didn't try negotiating, but I wish I would have. After I work for a year I plan to ask for a raise.

Assistant Manager/Stylist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Great Clips.

one interview. I was asked normal interview questions and cosmetology questions. The interview was at a restaurant. very laid back. it was not difficult. later you will have to take a behavior/ personality type test.

Stylist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Great Clips.

I was called for an interview a day or two after I applied online. You can also apply in person.

Upon arriving for my interview, I was asked to fill out another application. Wasn't asked any hard interview questions. Most of the interview was her telling me about the job. She did ask me about previous experience and how fast I can cut hair. (Great Clips haircuts must be between 13 -17mins) My availability had to be completely open (Weekends are a MUST). She told me I would be paid hourly, and informed me about their dress code.

She then asked me if I could come back with a live model so she could watch me cut hair. I brought a female model and I was able to do any haircut I wanted. So I gave her a trim. She also had me demonstrate a clipper cut on a doll head. I was then hired on the spot, I filled out all their paperwork and was sent to Academy for the next 3 days. I was trained on the computer and on dolls head for a week before I went onto the floor.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Pay was set at $0.50 above minimum wage. They do have a bonus program if you meet their goals. And you can get tips.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niles, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niles, MI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Great Clips.

I inquired online. The next day I was asked to come in for an interview. There were two interviews. The first was one on one interview with the manager. The second was a technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • There really wasn't a difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question
    There really wasn't negotiation. It was a set pay. Above minium wage.