Great Clips

Relevance Date Difficulty

Stylist Or Management Interview

Stylist Or Management
North Canton, OH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Great Clips in July 2013.

Interview Details – Bring resume and haircutting tools with you to interview. You will need your shears & clippers. Ask before hand if a techique part of the interview will be done that day first. Be honest from the get go. Dress in all black you will be safe that way on being judged.

Interview Question – Really none of them are hard but there are quite a few so be prepared. They have a whole outline they can follow which can take up to a hour if they see fit.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Actually very simply. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want.

Hairstylist Interview

Hairstylist

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Great Clips.

Interview Details – I applied for a position in person on a Sat. and was given an interview the following week. I was asked to wear dress code colors and bring my tools. When I arrived, I did two haircuts and filled out an application. Then I met with the manager, and we talked about policies, salary and related topics. it was very positive, pleasant and professional. I was contacted 2 days later that I had been hired part-time to start with hopes of it turning to full time as the store continues to expand.

Interview Question – No difficult questions...we mainly discussed what we each needed from one another.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't choose to negotiate because I felt the offer was fair.

Stylist Interview

Stylist
Blue Springs, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Great Clips in July 2010.

Interview Details – I was called on Wednesday morning to come into the salon office in Blue Springs in early afternoon to speak with the manager at the time, Donna. We spoke about my likes and dislikes, cutting styles, what kind of continuing education I've attended. She asked to see my State of MO license. She explained that the majority of the customers would be men, kids, and then women for haircuts. We would only do about one perm a week and each person in the salon is supposed to take turns on who takes them, unless the customer requests a specific stylist, because not many of the stylists like doing them. She then took me out to the floor and had me do 3 different haircuts on different customers so she could see my work. After they left, she offered me a position, I accepted, and I started the following Monday.

Interview Question – If I was being hired to replace my best friend, how would I feel about that?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Only that I wouldn't close every night or work both weekend days and Friday nights every weekend. She said she would switch it up to where if I had to work Saturday and Sunday, I was either off on Friday or worked days. Every other weekend, I would have one of the weekend days off, therefore, I would close on Friday night. She would also alternate between all of us and try to give each of us an entire weekend off when it came to our turn.

Stylist Interview

Stylist

I applied online - interviewed at Great Clips in August 2011.

Interview Details – 1 verbal interview with manager,1 technical interview and finally an interview with owner

Manager Interview

Manager
Sterling Heights, MI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Great Clips in January 2013.

Interview Details – The interview began with a manager from another location. She seemed focused and friendly. She discussed numbers mostly and the expectations of the owners. I was called back for a second interview with the owners. The owners were not hairdressers and were from India with heavy accents. I was offered the position with a promise of a raise based on a 90 day performance review. I took the position not realizing that the interviewing manager was a micro managing general manager and the owners had no plans on giving me the raise after fulfilling the expectations in 60 days.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions or surprises during the interview.   Answer Question

Hairstylist Interview

Hairstylist
Saline, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Great Clips in January 2013.

Interview Details – pass a female and male hair cut on maniquin, then the interview involved reference checks, page by page of company policies, and scheduling details..

Interview Question – what did i like about managers   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation took place

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Great Clips in January 2010.

Interview Details – I responded to a ad on Craigslist for hairstylist wanted, and was scheduled to meet the manager at a great clips location. Interview lasted about 30 mins and I was asked to cut a managuin. However I wasn't told in advance of needing to do a haircut and had to go home and get my tools. I was asked to do a clipper men's cut, with a finger lenght on top. Then the manager checked the cut and said I left some corners. Who h I thought that was ridiculous, have you ever tried to do a clipper cut on a manaquin head? IT'S NOT PRETTY!!! P.S. I was hired on the spot and was offered $9.00 hr. Which I wasn't happy with considering I have 15 years experience, I thought I would at least make , $10 hr. But like a lot of Americans, we somtimes take what we can get. I was.enticed by the possibility of earning commision on how many haircuts I did, it was impossible I would have to do a haircut every 10mins. I was also excited about getting health ins.but they only pay for the 1/2 of the cost of the employee, the cost for my family was like $800 a month, that was basicly my month salary.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no flexiability in negotiation.

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Great Clips.

Interview Details – Interview was interrupted several times by employees asking stupid questions while customers were still waiting. The only questions I was asked was how i felt about training and firing people. The next hour she talked about how "great" the company was.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions since i only got asked two!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There are no negotiations.

Wilmington, OH

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Great Clips in April 2008.

Interview Details – When I started this job, I filled out my application and with in a day or so I received a call back from the company asking me for an interview. The interview was very impersonal and was conducted in the lobby during business hours while customers were coming in and out and very short in length.

Interview Question – There really wasn't any difficult questions asked during the interview. As long as you are able to cut hair, do it fast and well and willing to work for pennies, you got the job.   Answer Question

Kennesaw, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Great Clips in April 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process includes two interviews, the first to determine applicant's personality and skills set to see if they have attributes that would add positives to work environment or hinder environment, such as 'drama', which is often inevitable in a salon environment. The second is a technical interview, where you bring your tools in and perform 2 services, one mens haircut and one womens' cut/style.

Interview Question – What is your biggest downfall or negative attribute?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Starting wages in most salons range from $8-9/hr. In my case, even though i was straight out of school, i negotiated up to $9/hr because i had worked for the same Great Clips salon as receptionist 3 yrs prior at $8/hr and didn't see it fair to start at the same pay as i was receiving without my Cosmetology license.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Great Clips