Great Clips

Updated Jan 10, 2015

1.9

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Stylist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Great Clips.

2 interviews one talking and 1 technical. The first interview talked about the company and what was expected. Which included flexible schedule, being efficient while providing quality. Explanation of the 3 day training of the Great Clips system.

No negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for Great Clips

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NH

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Great Clips in October 2014.

I filled out an application online. When I went in to interview they had me fill out an application that asked questions like, give three references that are licensed and can attest to your technical ability, what advanced classes have you taken, what are your qualifications, how many years haircutting, clipper cutting, color, perm. They took a copy of my cosmetologist license and asked very intense interview questions for two hours. Explained the incentive process, which is extra money per hour if you can do more haircuts on a per day shift, paid out every pay period, which is two weeks. Everything is tracked through numbers, how fast you do a haircut, percentage products sold, how you greet and end business relationship with customer ( if you do all five required steps). Have to show up fifteen minutes early for your shift or you are considered late showing five minutes before shift starts. Target range they want you do a haircut is about 14.7 minutes. Shampoo is extra four dollars to 14 dollar wet, cut and finger blow dry style. She also told me she makes more money here than she ever did anywhere else. So much money. They want me to bring two people, a long layer haircut and a clipper hair cut. We scheduled a time next week, so they can analyze my skills.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell product to a customer - how do you know if a customer is happy when they leave   View Answer
    • What do you know about the company - how did you make a bad situation good   View Answer
    • All the difficult interview questions you read about online - like have you had arguments with coworkers, how have you handled it, what did you do if a customer was unhappy, what is your weakness, how fast can you do a haircut, how do you feel about attending meetings and trainings, what are your longterm goals, why great clips, how do you get the customer to come back, asked three times if I can work a flexible schedule and told me there is no set schedule ever. What services are you good at not good at.   View Answer

Stylist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Great Clips.

I was called for an interview a day or two after I applied online. You can also apply in person.

Upon arriving for my interview, I was asked to fill out another application. Wasn't asked any hard interview questions. Most of the interview was her telling me about the job. She did ask me about previous experience and how fast I can cut hair. (Great Clips haircuts must be between 13 -17mins) My availability had to be completely open (Weekends are a MUST). She told me I would be paid hourly, and informed me about their dress code.

She then asked me if I could come back with a live model so she could watch me cut hair. I brought a female model and I was able to do any haircut I wanted. So I gave her a trim. She also had me demonstrate a clipper cut on a doll head. I was then hired on the spot, I filled out all their paperwork and was sent to Academy for the next 3 days. I was trained on the computer and on dolls head for a week before I went onto the floor.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Pay was set at $0.50 above minimum wage. They do have a bonus program if you meet their goals. And you can get tips.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Great Clips in September 2013.

I called the location and asked to speak to the manager, I then asked the manager if they were hiring and I set up an interview for the next day. I did both my verbal and technical interview the same day.

Stylist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Great Clips in August 2011.

1 verbal interview with manager,1 technical interview and finally an interview with owner

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blue Springs, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blue Springs, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Great Clips in July 2010.

I was called on Wednesday morning to come into the salon office in Blue Springs in early afternoon to speak with the manager at the time, Donna. We spoke about my likes and dislikes, cutting styles, what kind of continuing education I've attended. She asked to see my State of MO license. She explained that the majority of the customers would be men, kids, and then women for haircuts. We would only do about one perm a week and each person in the salon is supposed to take turns on who takes them, unless the customer requests a specific stylist, because not many of the stylists like doing them. She then took me out to the floor and had me do 3 different haircuts on different customers so she could see my work. After they left, she offered me a position, I accepted, and I started the following Monday.

Interview Questions
    • If I was being hired to replace my best friend, how would I feel about that?   Answer Question
    Only that I wouldn't close every night or work both weekend days and Friday nights every weekend. She said she would switch it up to where if I had to work Saturday and Sunday, I was either off on Friday or worked days. Every other weekend, I would have one of the weekend days off, therefore, I would close on Friday night. She would also alternate between all of us and try to give each of us an entire weekend off when it came to our turn.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Great Clips in January 2010.

Not much of a process. Filled out app. They read it. I did a haircut on a regular client of theirs who agreed to let me even though they didnt give him much of a choice. They checked it. And set up my schedule. They will hire anyone, just remember to bring your tools with u on the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Didnt ask any. Very informal, like they didnt even care. Turnover rate is so high that they know u probably wont be there long.   Answer Question
    They told me I would be getting 7.50 /hr. I accepted and I shouldnt have because I slowly learned how badly they treat their employees. My advice would be use GC ad your last resort. If u cant find a job anywhere else and u are completely out of options then u have to take what u can get but otherwise, for your own sake and sanity, go somewhere else. Its not worth wanting to pull your hair out every day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Great Clips in March 2009.

They had me fill out tax papers, do a hair cut so that they could see what my skill level was, and fill out other paper work.

nothing

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moody, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moody, AL

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Great Clips in March 2009.

I was new in town and was told about great clips, I called for an intefview , went in to fill out application she told me she had to talk to the owner and three days later I was called in to get my schedule and do my tax papers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Griffin, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Griffin, GA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Great Clips in January 2008.

Very easy interview. No background/credit check, no skills check.