Great Oaks Charter School

Interviews for Top Jobs at Great Oaks Charter School

Tutor Corps Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Great Oaks Charter School in May 2014.

I applied online for Great Oaks Tutor Corps in May 2014. The process took one month.

Four days after applying online, I received an invitation to a phone screening. The brief, 15-minute screening was very insightful. My interviewer invited me to an on-site visit scheduled two weeks in advance. From 9am-2pm, I had the opportunity to tour the school, observe a class, and assist two students in math and reading tutorials. Following a lunch with a current Corps member, two school leaders conducted individual final interviews. Everyone was very authentic and quite dedicated to closing the achievement gap. They are searching for candidates who are self-reflective, patient (with children), and who have personality. This is not merely a job, but a lifestyle.

Interview Questions
    • What is one area of weakness in your tutee? How would you help him/her improve?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Great Oaks Charter School in July 2012.

1. Complete online application and submit resume.
    2. Phone interview.
    3. Invitation to an on-site interview.
    4. On-site interview includes running an actual tutorial, lunch with a current tutor, observing classes and tutorials, and interviews with Executive Director and Tutor Corps Director.

Interview Questions
    • The Corps Director asked bluntly, "This is a tough job. Some people interview with us and then RUN in the other direction. What makes you think you can do this?"   View Answer

Urban Education Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Great Oaks Charter School in April 2012.

The majority of the contact is via email. You'll get the initial email asking you to set up a phone interview. You'll then receive and email asking you to come for an onsite visit where you'll be at the school from 7:30-2:15. You'll spend an hour tutoring a student in math and observing classes. You'll end with two interviews, one from the Tutor Corps Director and the other from the Executive Director.