Green Mountain Energy Interview Questions

Updated Aug 11, 2015

2.0

Customer Care Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Green Mountain Energy.

Interview

They did not tell me before the interview that I would be going door-to-door (yes, residentially) to sign people up to change their electricity to wind-powered. Nor did they tell me it was commission-only. "Customer care" is a misnomer for the actual job responsibilities. I also question whether giving people cash bonuses (not a check) if above board. You still have to pay taxes on it legally! And of course there are no benefits.

Interview Questions

• If I can start the next day. Even though I said the job wasn't for me, I need a base salary and insurance.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Green Mountain Energy (Boston, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online and schedule my interview for the next day. The person who interviewed me did not ask me my name; so make you're the type of person who can speak up for themselves. There was a small group interview when the interviewer explained what the company did and our role would be. When you arrive you will have to fill out a paper application. Don't be nervous about the process it was easy.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable talking to people? Why do you want to work here? Are you okay working on commission? Are you looking for part-time or full-time?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Green Mountain Energy (Phila, PA).

Interview

Very casual. They look over your resume with you and go through the basics. The interviewer was unfocused and distracted but definitely nice. Pretty much he just wanted to get a feel of the type of person you are and if you could deal with people constantly ignoring or rejecting you.

Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Green Mountain Energy (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2014.

Interview

Almost too easy. They're desperate for sales agents so it was very basic interview questions. They hired me that day and hired my friends on the spot via PHONE interviews.

Interview Questions

• What are you strengths/weaknesses? Why do you want to work for Green Mountain? Describe any sales experience you have   Answer Question

Retail Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Green Mountain Energy (Houston, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

You have to go to the place.You have to answer questions. You have to look presentable. You have to be nice. You have to be honest. You have to ask questions about the job you are getting into. You have to really really really really think... Ask yourself ' can I handle the stress?' If yes go head

Sales/Marketing Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Green Mountain Energy (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2013.

Interview

In Philadelphia at 4Resources Center

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It went pretty well, because just about aspect of the companies expectation was meet and what we were providing. Pollution free Energy thru a energy supplyer and/or distributor

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Green Mountain Energy (White Plains, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

Answered an add on Craigslist. Delightful interview, they need to sell you more than you need to sell them since the job is so horrible.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None. They have a set commission rate. No base pay and no benefits. The only way I could recommend this job would be to a college student in a large metropolitan area who has no need of immediate income and has the patients to argue over every commission.

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Green Mountain Energy.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter right before Christmas. Interviewed the week after. Met with 3 members of management. Very conversational and informal. Relaxed atmosphere is consistent with the work environment as long as you are reliable and do your job well. Got follow up call a week later with offer.

Interview Questions

• I can't recall anything like that, it was much more about getting to know you as an individual than a formal interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations commission only

Marketing Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Green Mountain Energy (Austin, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

I'm an energy professional who recently relocated to Austin. After submitting my resume and cover letter via the website, I was contacted within two weeks by an HR rep. via e-mail. They set up an initial phone screening, which they failed to call at the agreed upon time. After the second interview was setup and completed a few days later, the rep passed me onto the hiring manager. The hiring manager spoke with me via telephone at first. We had a very pleasant conversation, which led to an invitation to an in-person interview with a few people including the manager. The interviews were not difficult, everyone was very polite and asked some good questions. I thought there would be one final interview before an offer-I was incorrect. HR contacted me with a request to complete a lengthy written assessment to compare against the final candidates. The rep told me that I would be invited back to the final interview with the marketing division's VP if I completed the assessment within their expectations. After submitting the requested evaluation, I was called within two days to invite me to the supposed interview with the marketing division's VP as well as with two other managers. Initially, one of the hiring managers interviewed me at the requested time. They seemed a bit confused as to the whereabouts of their colleague, who was supposed to interview me at the same time. We completed the inteview and I was told to wait for the VP, who would be a few minutes late due to a meeting that was running over. After 45 minutes of waiting in a conference room with no updates, I was told that the VP could not make it and was walked out by a HR rep. The rep. apologetically told me that they were very sorry and would call to reschedule. It never happened. After following up multiple times, I was finally contacted with a formal rejection letter a few weeks later with no real reason as to what happened.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your favorite campaign. How would you approach a new product that we would offer? What would be the first step you would take?   1 Answer

Internet Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Green Mountain Energy (Austin, TX) in December 2011.

Interview

Wow, get ready for a giant waste of your time, energy, and PTO hours. 10+ weeks, 6 interviews with 6 people (interviewed twice by two people), and a constant battle to get in touch with HR. Marketing personnel openly bash the Sales department for being ignorant, Sales personnel show complete lack of (1) knowledge and (2) expertise when it comes to managing a marketing position, and HR has no clue of how to manage the hiring process. Initially the HR person in charge of setting up interviews described elements of the wrong position, flaked on multiple phone interviews, and let this process take over 10 weeks and 6 interviews to come to a decision. Also Green Mountain Energy is owned by NRG Energy, who owns Reliant Energy, and is one of the largest coal-fueled electricity providers in the country. This is a textbook case of Greenwashing and further shows the lack of integrity by Upper Management. I burned more than 12 total PTO hours making times for often redundant and amateurish interviewers who had no idea of what the job entailed. Make sure you REALLY hate your current job before spending much time here.