Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2015

2.9

Interviews for Top Jobs at Greenberg Quinlan Rosner

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Greenberg Quinlan Rosner.

Interview

I saw a posting and got in touch with a networking contact to ask if he had any connections. He said yes, he'd be happy to pass along my info to someone he knew. I ended up interviewing for an internship in two rounds. One with the HR manager and some of the staff, then another with some of the additional staff, that I'd be actually working with. The second interview had to reschedule my interview. It was a little frustrating because it was either wait an hour (I was already there!) or find a slot at completely different times later that week. I chose to wait another hour and grabbed lunch.

The questions were mostly standard: what did I know about what they did, how did i know my networking connection, what I was studying, what was my experience with what GQR did, did I have experience with software or certain tasks, etc. I did feel there were some red flags (aside from the rescheduling). As part of my background I explained I had moved from another state to attend school in Washington, DC. Didn't they have or used to have an office where I had lived before? A sheepish yes, with some nervous chuckles and shifting around told me I hit something uncomfortable, although I don't know what it was. I didn't think it was a weird or bad question because clearly they had the information on their site at one point and I noticed one day it was gone. I'm not sure if it was expected that I would have known what had happened but it just seemed like a weird reaction.

They also talked about how they "worked hard and played hard," which is something that is reflected in the other reviews here (the ton of work without, arguably, the pay to compensate for that). We noted the kitchen and the recreation area and somehow it came up that interns sometimes would be sent to Greenberg's house to retrieve items or deliver stuff. I understand that interns often do mundane, boring tasks, but I was pretty disappointed to learn that interns were also errand runners, as that seems like rather superfluous to what the firm is supposed to be doing.

Time passed and I wrote HR as a polite follow-up. I didn't hear back and assumed that was that, another disappointing interaction with another company to cross off. The HR manager contacted me and apologized for not returning my message. No, I did not get the internship, but would I like to be considered for this full-time job?

I was really surprised but said yes. Unfortunately for some reason they decided to consider me for a totally unrelated job: I had wanted to do more work related to the actual polling and research, but the position they sent me was for the client/business side. Still, I said yes to an interview and decided to see where it went.

Sadly my first instinct was correct. I interviewed with completely different people from the client/business portion and we talked about the position and what it entailed. I asked if we could talk about it separately (as in, could they give me a rundown about how it fit into the larger GQR umbrella ) to see if I could figure out why I was there and so I could understand it a little better.

This interview was just strange, because they asked me things like, "Can you describe an undertaking where you had to display entrepreneurship?" Although I understood the position required these qualities, my resume nor my interview (that I could recall) would have shown that I had much experience with client relations and business generation. It really did not seem like I was the correct fit at all for the position.

And not only could I tell this was the wrong position for me, one of the interviewers kept interrupting the other. Just about every time he spoke, she'd interrupt him with her own answer, before letting him finish. It was extremely uncomfortable to watch, although he seemed used to it and just politely listened. It seemed she'd just get caught up in the excitement of the moment and just go on and on, but her consistent interruptions of her colleague was really weird.

Unsurprisingly, I didn't get this job either and I'm glad. I'm not a huge fan of the location (Union Station plus a walk) and the last interview was just odd. I actually would like to know what on earth made them consider me for the full-time position, or whether they just needed people to interview.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions regarding polling, research. For the full-time position I was asked about interacting with clients and generating business.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Greenberg Quinlan Rosner (Washington, DC).

Interview

During the process I interviewed with four different people at GQR. One interview was with two people at the same time. It was clear that this was an intense job, with hard-working people who were passionate about what they did. These interviews took course over the space of a couple of days. After they were completed, I found out in about a week whether or not I received the job.

Interview Questions

• One thing they ask you is about putting together a background book. The example they say is, a partner needs to prepare for a new project/client and needs to learn about the country, so what sorts of things would you include in a background book? This is to basically test your understanding of what information you need to know about a country before working there, keeping in mind you're usually working for a political client and trying to get him/her elected (for example, you should include election results, state department notes on the country, key political players and their bios, recent news stories, any relevant country history, etc.).   Answer Question

Negotiation

This company is notoriously averse to negotiating. I didn't try to negotiate personally, but I know other employees who brought other offers to the table to try and negotiate salary, and HR told them that the company does not negotiate. Either you're willing to work for a lower salary, or they will find someone else.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Greenberg Quinlan Rosner.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by the intern coordinator a week later for a short phone interview. This was pretty straight forward and many of the questions that others have listed were asked in that interview. The following day, I was contacted to come in for an interview with the team I was working with. It was a 4 person panel interview, and while they asked behavioral questions, this was every much as about work experiences, as it was personality.

Interview Questions

• What do you find interesting about politics?
      What are the first three websites/apps that you check everyday?

Answer Question

Project Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Greenberg Quinlan Rosner (Washington, DC).

Interview

There was an initial phone interview with the director of interns, and staff assistant in which questions regarding attention to detail and multitasking were asked. Several days later I had a panel interview with a project associate and and analyst in which several more behavior based questions were asked. I had already worked on several campaigns by this point and related my experiences much to their delight. Also I would suggest somehow incorporating your knowledge of their client history as well as why you are interested in progressive politics.

Domestic Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Greenberg Quinlan Rosner (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

I emailed a cover letter and resume in response to an online posting and got a call the next day from Tiffany, who is the head of HR. We spoke briefly about why I was interested in working at GQR and then set up an interview for the next day. When I arrived for my interview, I met with Tiffany for about 10 minutes where she just asked me about my background, specifically if I had any campaign experience. I was then interviewed by two people on the Domestic Team. They asked me pretty standard interview questions and were really great about answering the questions I had for them. My interview was on a Friday and they called me the following Monday to offer me the position.

Interview Questions

• Who is your favorite politician? If you had to do a background report on a client who was thinking about running for office, where would you start? What are three things you would like us to walk away knowing about you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, they have a very set internship program.

Intern Interview

Interview

Sent my CV and cover letter, got a call a couple of weeks later. First with intern coordinator, then phone interview with three people on the team.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, they have a set hourly wage for inters.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Greenberg Quinlan Rosner.

Interview

I had a very relaxed, over-the-phone interview / info session with two employees from GQR. A few days later, one of them called to clarify a few details before offering me the job.

That said, this may differ greatly from most other interviews. They needed someone very quickly and I was available and qualified.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Greenberg Quinlan Rosner (Washington, DC) in March 2012.

Interview

Had a phone interview, then in person interview, then never heard despite emailing the contact they gave me.

Research Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Greenberg Quinlan Rosner (Washington, DC) in November 2011.

Interview

Be prepared for really tough behavioral and situation questions during the phone interview. I was expecting general questions for the initial interview. There were about 3-5 people on the phone. There were probably 7-15 questions they took turns reading from a list. It felt like a fire drill, most likely testing your ability to work under pressure. One of the interviewers summarized my responses to clarify my answers. My advice to you, practice the STAR interview technique. The salary reports and reviews are accurate, they will confirm with you that the starting salary is $30K.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you failed, what would you do differently? What did you learn? What would you do the same?   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Greenberg Quinlan Rosner (Washington, DC) in May 2011.

Interview

I had a phone interview with an intern several months ago, and while she didn't call me back initially, she emailed me out of the blue last week to alert me that they had an immediate opening for a paid intern. I came in for an interview the following Monday, and I was greeted by a project coordinator, an analyst, and the intern. The analyst was on speaker phone, so there were only three of us in the room.

I was asked a series of questions pertaining to my resume, like "Was there ever a time that you had to make more with less?" Also, "Have you ever been in a situation where you felt like a coworker wasn't pulling their weight? How did you handle it?" The most unexpected question was "When was there a time you felt like you abandoned a project and why did it happen?"

The project coordinator ended the interview by asking what 5 things about me they thought I should know.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time in a job when you had to do more with less.   Answer Question
    • Was there ever a time when you had a conflict with a coworker? Why did it happen, and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you felt like you abandoned a project. Why did it happen, and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question
    • Would you be willing to work long hours (nights and weekends)?   Answer Question

Hourly pay was too low.