Greenplum Interview Questions & Reviews

11 interviews

2.8

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Greenplum in February 2012.

Worked with an internal recruiter. I had one round of phone interviews and then a full day of in-person interviews and was then offered the job. Overall, a very easy process.

Interview Questions
    Pretty annoying given that the recruiting manager was so far removed from reality.

Support Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Greenplum in November 2010.

long and drawn out - it was like a popularity contest

Interview Questions
    there was none - salary was offered and it was stated that and i needed a job so i took what they offered.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Greenplum in May 2012.

I applied through the company's website. The recruiter got back to me a week later and had a screening phone interview with me. I then had an hour long phone interview with a data scientist on the team. A few weeks later I was sent an exercise/skill test to complete in 24 hours. They invited me for an on-site interview a week later in San Mateo. It consisted of four 1-1s and a presentation. The recruiter got back to me three weeks after the on-site interview.

Pros: -Data Scientists on the team are very knowledgable and nice.
    -I learned a lot from the interviews. They gave me a lot of insights.
    -They work on exciting projects.
    -Nice cafeteria

Cons: -The company had poor management and organization skills.
    -The person who interviewed me was changed at the last minute.
    -The recruiter accidentally sent me a rejection email.
    -The hiring manager I was scheduled to talk to was in a meeting and I didn't end up talking to her.
    -The room that I was supposed to give a presentation was occupied.
    -I had lunch with the employees and it seemed like there was a lot of politics/awkwardness between departments.
    -No responses or updates for three weeks despite my follow-up emails.

Interview Questions
    • A project where I have extracted useful information from a large data set. What machine learning algorithm did I use, and why?   Answer Question
    • Describe in details my MS thesis.   Answer Question
    • Given a particular data set, suggest three algorithms, one regression, one clustering, one classification.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Greenplum in February 2011.

Laid back, tested all areas of knowledge

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Greenplum in April 2011.

one phone, then a coding test via email. Then onsite with upto 6 one on one. Mostly coding question. each one of them had more than one puzzle and each interview lasted 45 mins

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Greenplum in October 2009.

I was phone screened by one of the managers and asked a couple of high-level questions regarding technical background and experience. Then we arranged a test a couple days in the future, where they would send my a coding problem and I would send a solution back within one hour.

Software Engineer Text Analytics Team Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Greenplum in March 2012.

The HR took over a week to setup behavioral interview. Behavioral interview was done by a project manager to gauge my interest in Natural Language Processing.
    After the interview I was told I will have a technical interview. I was even told the interviewer's name, but I didn't hear from the company since. It was really unprofessional of them.

Data Scientist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Greenplum in February 2012.

About a week after I applied online, the HR phone interviewed me. It last about half an hour. Questions focus on behavior and also asked how proficient in SAS, R, SQL and Hadoop.

Then the next day HR emailed me to set up another phone interview with a senior data scientist in the team. She asked a few statistics and modeling questions and let me describe one of my projects in the resume. All are average questions but I did not answer well since I'm not prepared. No response after that.

Interview Questions
    • If for a company, employees are leaving. What variables should we include in the model to predict who are going to leave?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Greenplum in January 2012.

asked many db internal problems

Anonymous Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Greenplum in November 2010.

Thanks to an internal referral, I was able to get an interview with them. The phone interviews were easy enough (or so I thought) so I was asked to come in to meet everyone.

Atmosphere wise, it seemed a bit chaotic but I didn't mind. I wanted to work in a lively environment after working at places which seemed excessively quiet. However, there seemed to be absolutely no privacy between cubicles and they were really REALLY small. I overlooked that fact since those were not high priorities to me at the time.

I had my first interview where I was lead to believe that I was on the short list at the very least. He told me about how badly they needed someone with my background, the fact that they were growing so fast that they couldn't go fast enough, a story about how fast they hired my boss (4 days from initial conversation to offer letter), and most importantly, the culture of the company. All of these made me really think that I was on the short list at the very least.

After that, I was supposed to speak with the hiring manager and then his boss. This is when things started to crumble. I had to wait outside the conference room that I was supposed to meet the other two. After waiting for about 20 minutes, I asked someone to see what was going on. At that time, I was told that they were both in a very important meeting, couldn't pull themselves away and thanked me for my patience. I waited for over an hour when they finally invited me into a room where both the hiring manager and his boss decided to interview me at the same time.

The hiring manager's boss started by asking questions that did not seem to be relevant to the position. Shortly afterwards, he abruptly announced he had to go and left. The hiring manager and I continued our conversation where he asked me the same questions that he asked me previously. It made me wonder why did he feel compelled to ask them again because he told me that he really liked my answers on the phone. At the end, he walked me out, thanked me for my time and told me they'd be in touch soon.

The next day I got a letter back saying that I was rejected because I didn't have enough "relevant experience". At that point, I looked at both the hiring manager and his boss' profiles on LinkedIN. While my boss' boss seemed to have some experience, I thought I could overlook that. However, when I saw my boss' background, my jaw hit the floor. Not only did he have zero experience whatsoever in that field, he was never an executive before, nor has he ever worked in that department at any company previously.

Given that I easily had twice the experience they had together, I don't know what would have happened. On occasion I have looked at EMC's site to see if they still were looking for someone. It may not have been the same position, but it was awfully similar to the one I didn't get. I guess I probably dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

Worked for Greenplum? Contribute to the Community!