Grocery Outlet Interview Questions

Updated Aug 2, 2014
Updated Aug 2, 2014

2.0

"Store Manager Ha!" Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Grocery Outlet in March 2014.

Very informal interview. I walk in and the cashier praised that I looked nice and was clean. I was thrown off a bit by the comment. She said that there have been some "not so clean people" there for the interviews. She then told me to look around the store and the owner will be with me soon. A while later the owner came over. She asked me normal questions. She asked how much I knew out Grocery outlet and after I told her she said that's it? Apparently she wanted me to know all about how they go through buying their products because she went into all the details. Then she went on to say any one over 50 to her is elderly.... I though wow..... Then I found out that although the ad was for Store manager the position is only over night and more of a supervisor type job. I am sure this would be a great opportunity for someone straight out of high school thought.

Interview Questions
    • Normal easy questions. Why Grocery Outlet? Why Manager? Work better with lots of instructions or little? Tell me about great customer service?   Answer Question

Not a good fit

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Grocery Outlet in April 2012.

The entire process was pretty long. Got email request to do a video interview. It consisted of 6 questions all to be answered in two minutes. You see the clock counting down as your answering. Pretty nerve wracking! Then contacted a week later for a short chat w/hiring manager and his/her manager. It lasted about an hour total. Then asked to fill out like a personality online questionairre then fill out a five or so page employment application. Then after that a 6 person panel style interview. Felt like I was applying to the CIA or something.

Department Manager Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Grocery Outlet in July 2010.

It took forever. More like joining a family than an interview. I was at the first in person interview for four hours and then had to come back to meet the wife.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of personal questions and not a lot of work related questions.   View Answer
    I had a number picked that I would not go under. I got the job.

Any Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Grocery Outlet in December 2009.

The interview was basicly the employer reading my application to me and looking for ways to relate to me via the information on it. It was sad on how simple it was; all that was needed was to make the employer feel like they could relate to me and if my personality would get along with theirs.
    The hiring process was me getting clothing, being told where what things were, and a brief how-to with the cash register and other job duties.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiations allowed.

Customer Service Coordinator III Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Grocery Outlet in November 2008.

Interview pretty straightforward-heard about job opening from friend who worked there, approached manager, and scheduled preliminary interview. Researched company via internet and going to other stores-good to get an idea of culture and standards of workplace. Interview consisted of being asked about experience, background and what would I do to improve certain elements of day to day operations.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do-today-to improve this store's overall service level? Why?   Answer Question
    Was given a range based on my education/experience. Asked for top of range, given middle. Always ask for the top!