Group One Trading Interview Questions

Updated Jun 2, 2014
Updated Jun 2, 2014

3.1

Applications Specialist Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Group One Trading.

The interview was just a phone call. They had two people on the line asking me questions regarding computer science related questions and then explained what the internship was about. Very helpful and nice guys. The interview was only 30 minutes long.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about the process that you use in writing a program.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Group One Trading.

Applied through my university's career website. Email from HR next day to come in. I do not think they even looked at my resume until 10 minutes after the interview was supposed to start. I do read quite a bit about trading on my own, but I am a stat/probability major (not finance) and struggled with some of their options questions. I did not misrepresent myself as if I was a finance guy in any way on my resume. They were upset that I could not answer those questions.

They were fairly rude, but I prefer bluntness. I don't take it personally and (sort of) think it was a game they were playing to see how I respond. There's no reception desk to receive visitors. Had to ask someone in the elevator lobby to let me in since the HR rep didn't answer phone. They wore T-shirts, I was in a suit. Waited 25 minutes for interview to start. They said there was chaos in the market to deal with but I could hear them joking around through their office door from the chair I waited in. Told me I answered their questions poorly.

I asked why they wanted me come in since I'm obviously not what they want. They could not answer, pretty much waste of all of our time.

Apparently they have 15 people go through this process a week. I might reapply. Good luck.

Interview Questions
    • Why trading?

We interviewed 15 people so far in the last week what is going to make you stand out?

What do you know about us and what we do?

What books have you read about trading?

Mental arithmetic.

Equity Derivatives Trader Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Group One Trading in February 2014.

Contacted through school careers service. interviewer asked a lot of behavioral questions.

Option Trader Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Group One Trading in October 2013.

Interviewed through a campus visit.
    Had additional phone interview as well. The interview process was very direct and didn't not hide the amount of coffee runs and food runs an intern would be making. It was mostly case based and the interviewer was most interested in the resume. There were a good deal of probability questions and questions about the difficulty of your class load.

Interview Questions
    • Would you rather have a lottery ticket with a 1/100 chance of winning a million dollars or 100 lottery tickets with a 1/100 chance of winning 10,000 dollars?   Answer Question

Trader Trainee Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Group One Trading.

The HR lady and operations lady interviewed me at the same time. It was behavioral to start Eg: Why trading...about my experience.

Then there were 3 mental math questions.

1. What is 39*21?
    2. What is 4 percent of 4?
    3. You are a card dealer for a game where you deal cards 1-10 and you have to pay the person playing whatever card you deal? EX: You deal a 7 you have to pay them $7. What do you charge them to play the game? You take the weighted average...sum up 1-10 which equals 55 and then divide by 10. So charge more than $5.50

Interview Questions
    • Then there were 3 mental math questions.

1. What is 39*21?
      2. What is 4 percent of 4?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Group One Trading in November 2012.

I applied through Campus Recruiting. They came to my school and had a face-to-face interview. Weeks passed and they never contacted me despite numerous attempts to email and call them. Worst of all, they told me that they liked what they saw in me and even gave me the name of the book they use for classes. Don't trust them if you think things went well.

Interview Questions
    • Product of two 2-digit numbers.

Square root of 1000.

Game with 10 cards. You are the dealer. You give away a card marked 1-10. Whatever the amount of the card is you have to pay the person. How much would you charge to play this game?

Expected value of a 1-and-1 in college basketball. If a free-throw shooter makes 70% of his free throws, what is the expected amount of points he receives from a 1-and-1 (where if he makes the first shot he gets to shoot he second and if he misses the first shot he does not).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Group One Trading in October 2012.

I applied through campus recruiting for the Chicago Office.
    Two interviewers came to conduct on-campus interviews.

The interview was about 40 minutes long, and they started out with fit questions such as "why trading?" "What qualifications do you have that make you an ideal candidate as a trader?"

Then they moved onto asking some mental math questions and probability questions.
    Interviewers were very kind and encouraging. Even though I didn't get the offer (in fact I haven't heard from them definitively yet but I assume that means no) It was overall a great experience.

Trader Trainee Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a weekinterviewed at Group One Trading in August 2011.

A phone interview time was arranged through email, was told not to sweat at all because will be very easy and laid back. Didn't practice much of mental match etc. and was asked these questions anyway which, in a bit slower time answered correctly. Other questions included why do you want to do this and question to detail a time that you had to break bad news in a work environment. Then had a nice chat with the HR person. Very positive experience overall.

Interview Questions
    • First round mental math 2 digit multiplication question and what is decimal value of 1/6

Behavioral: Why trading? why options? what do feel about risk? biggest failure? why do you think you'll succeed?

Any questions for traders. etc.
    • Simple prob: EV of role of two dice if for each #=$1
      EV of Coin flips
      EV of two baseball at bats if prob. to strike out is 50%
        Answer Question

Equity Derivatives Trader Trainee Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Group One Trading in February 2011.

i talked to a recruiter and they asked me mostly standard questions about why trading, what i had done on my resume, etc. i was surprised i didn't get another round, as i've gotten multiple rounds at more reputable firms. i actually emailed the recruiter asking what i might've done better and she said she thought i did well and nothing stood out in particular, it was just very competitive this year. at least they were professional and responded etc.

Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Group One Trading in February 2011.

Not as bad as people make it out to be. I'd say its a fairly easy interview.

If you haven't done math in a while, I'd urge you to start practicing at least a week in advance, as you will be required to do calculations in your head. You need to be able to visualize the numbers, and be able to explain all the calculations you do step by step.

Given that I havent done mental math since 2nd grade, I prepared for the interview using the Tratchenberg book, but Vedic also works very well(and is easier to grasp).

The brainteasers are fairly easy, although I did screw up one of them big time. I did catch the mistake and re-did the problem, though it took me a minute to figure out what I did wrong.

Interview Questions
    • 3 probability brainteasers and maybe 5 mental math calculations. I'd rather not give specifics since I havent heard back yet. Be prepared to talk about why trading is of interest to you.   Answer Question