Groupon

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Groupon in January 2012.

Interview Details – Work culture is very laid back. I knew someone who knew the person who managed the team that I was interested in joining so it was very easy to get an interview. In fact, I went to the interview from 9 to noon and by the same afternoon they called me to extend an offer. So, it was a very quick process. The team I joined was in desperate need of hiring someone at my level so I think that helped a lot. I spoke to 5 people during the interview from the lowest to the highest level.

Interview Question – Described how you implemented a process or got X tasks done   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was unable to negotiate. They basically offer me 3K more than what I was making at my previous job and I took it.

Interviewed at Groupon

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with a recruiter and it was very disorganized. It seemed like she did not review my resume and she had little to no information about the position. Each time I asked a question about the scope of the role, she would contradict herself later in the call. It was very unnerving and made me not want to continue the interview process.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Groupon in July 2012.

Interview Details – Received an email from a recruiter to set up a phone interview for the following week.
Senior recruiter called 15 minutes late and spoke rather monotonously. Even when asked about the position and work culture, she was very unenthusiastic, which ultimately affected my mood as well.
Typical questions regarding your knowledge about Groupon, why you want to work there, and your technical skills.

Interview Question – How much do you know about Groupon?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Groupon in February 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview went very smoothly. I was invited for an on-site interview and that is where things became quite interesting. The environment seems to be like a college social hour where everyone is really concerned with what they look like and what everyone will think of them. It is hard to imagine where people can find the energy to help the company thrive where there was little work that I saw being done (on facebook, etc., talking with others, etc.) What I came to learn in my interview is that work that is done, is done by a few people who admittedly sleep under their desks. My interviewer came in with huge bags under his eyes and in other words told me that I would be overworked and underpaid. He was quick to get on his soapbox about how exciting it is to be a part of a starting company and if it implodes, he is happy to have taken the chance. Not the greatest thing to hear from someone who is supposed to be selling you on the company.

Interview Question – What is your proudest achievement in life?   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Groupon in June 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process started off great, I was getting quick responses and there was a lot of transparency which was refreshing. I had a phone screen where there were questions about my personality and work experience. I thought reviewing the other glassdoor reviews was helpful during the phone screen. I then had an in person interview where I met with other people that I would be working with. Questions were mixed and tried to get a glimpse into me as a person as well as my skillset.

I think the communication went by the wayside after the interview and that I got the runaround from them. I wasn't given any information as to what next steps were, additional information needed from me, etc. If they weren't interested in hiring me, they should have just been upfront about it rather than give me the runaround

Interview Question – Why groupon?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Lack of transparency

Worked for Groupon? Contribute to the Community!