Groupon Inside Sales Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2014

2.9

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Inside Sales Interview

Relaxed method, interview is about determining if the job is a right fit for you and if Groupon is right for you, they take anyone and take lots of college students who have little sales experience

Other Interview Reviews for Groupon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Groupon in January 2014.

The interview process went pretty well and moved quickly. I submitted my resume Christmas Eve (I had tons of free time over the holidays) and was surprised to hear back before New Years. We scheduled a quick phone screen for the following week, and in the meantime I did my research on the company. The initial phone call went phenomenally well, my roommates made a comment about how much we got along and were laughing about things. Be prepared for a lot of questions relating to Groupon (Why do you want to work here? Why sales at Groupon? Why should people use Groupon? Etc.). They love their company and they want to make sure you do too. Before we ended the conversation, she scheduled me to come into HQ a few days later with a few copies of my resume.

Showed up for my in person interview and was greeted by the same recruiter within 5 minutes. She showed me around quickly and gave me another brief run down of the position. The weird/bad part about this tour is she used A LOT of terms that where like 'when you start' and 'when you work here' and things like that, which I don't think you should use with an interviewee. Otherwise, it was nice to get a chance to see the office. After letting me know who I'd be meeting with and seeing if I had any questions, she dropped me off in a conference room. Had to wait about 15 minutes for the first guy to come. He was wonderful and we hit it off. He had one question that caught me off guard, but otherwise, I had a really enjoyable time and I feel like it went really well with him. Between him and the second gentleman, I had about 25 minutes, which felt like an eternity. When the second guy came in, the first thing he said to me when I asked how he was was "extremely busy" as he proceeded to take out his phone and watch and set them on the table to monitor time and let me know for the second time before sitting down that we only had about half an hour. He was extremely short during the interview, which was a letdown because I'm not TOO much of a talker, and if I see you're in a hurry I know to keep my answers short and sweet, however I wasn't given much of a chance. He didn't ask too many questions and seemed like he was in WAY too much of a hurry. It was extremely unfortunate and off putting. That was on Tuesday, was told I would hear back Friday with an answer. Got the call Friday that they were moving forward with other candidates, which I wasn't too surprised with because of the second interview, and I technically don't even have sales experience...but they really liked my past work experience in general plus my personality. It's okay though, they're a great company and I'm glad I got to interview.

Interview Questions
    • Name three reasons a merchant would want to partner with Groupon?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Groupon in September 2012.

The interview process was long. I had a initial screening with one recruiter, then another, then 3 more face to face interviews. They all asked the same basic questions. Everyone seemed very interested in my past experience because I have plenty of outside sales experience. According to the corporate recruiter, everyone liked me, but I was not extended an offer. Why? Because inside sales are apperently more challenging than outside...they clearly had no idea what they were talking about. I was also told that my personality seemed to fit a face to face role. That could be true because one of the managers winked at me during the interview. Later in the week I was called back to start the entire process over again for a Groupon Live Inside sales position. Again, I have enough experience. However, the managers I interviewed with seemed to have made up their mind before they walked into the interview room. They wore flip flops and questions my professionalism...really! They just werent interested. Oh well, I'll go work work for a competitor.

Interview Questions
    • How do would you use your outside sales experience to be successful at Groupon?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Groupon in July 2012.

I was referred by a friend to a Groupon recruiter and was immediately contacted that same day to set up an initial phone screen. (Now, I had no previous sales experience so I was very surprised to hear back from the recruiter to say the least.) The initial call lasted about 15 minutes and I was the typical "tell me about your experience" and "why Groupon?" type questions. At the end of our conversation, she was pleased with my initial phone screen and wanted to set up a 30 minute phone interview for later in the week... again very surprised. This second phone interview was much more in-depth, and asked more behavioral questions and one analytical question (have a calculator handy)! My advice: DO YOUR GROUPON RESEARCH! The recruiter tested me on Groupon history, sales strategy and analytical reasoning- Thankfully I was prepared for those questions. After the interview I was told I would be contacted to set up an in-person interview within a week. I followed up exactly a week later with the recruiter and was told they were going to proceed with candidates with more sales experience...Shocking!

Interview Questions
    • With our business model a business owner is technically losing money on each customer that comes in with a Groupon why would the companies still want to use our services?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Groupon in February 2012.

My experience consisted of a phone screen, phone interview and 1 in person interview with multiple managers. This was handled really well. If you can show an experience in inside sales, you will be rewarded with a chance to prove yourself.
    When i interviewed they were hiring for a number of positions, so if they werent it may be more extensive.

Interview Questions
    • How would you structure a groupon for this restaurant?   View Answer
    I did not negotiate as i was so excited to be extended an offer. If you wanted to you could probably refer to the information on here.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Groupon in January 2012.

I had two pnone chats with Groupon. The first was a friendly meet and greet, the second a more formal interview. On the second they asked me outline all my previous work experience then asked me two math questions. They told me that they would get back to me by the end of the week and late friday afternoon I recieved an email passing on their interest to move farther with me as a candidate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Groupon in December 2011.

(telephone conversation) Informed the recruiter that i would be arriving in the lobby in 10 minutes. (downtown chicago) I checked in with the receptionist 15 minutes early and was told by her that the recruiter (name specified) would be along to greet me shortly. After waiting patiently to be greeted for over 35 minutes, i was finally greeted and began catching settle hints that their impression was that i was "running late" during the intro conversation had with the first of 3 of 5 HR/ decision makers. (not fully realizing until on my way home when i received a voice-mail (poor cell reception downtown Chicago skyscrapers) from the recruiter asking if i had arrived yet with a disgruntled tone.

1. HR Briefing about the structure of interview 5 minutes
    2. 15 Min to compose a sales pitch for a Groupon special offer to a hypothetical restaurant owner
    3. Made the Mock call to one of the HR Sales Trainers- Felt I did well; per feedback; when asked if i would have done anything differently i was quick to critique myself on things i felt i could have done better; my criticism of myself seemed well received to display sales knowledge and experience.
    4. A Very Quick hello, thanks, we'll call you back and walk to the door by another HR person who seemed to have received the impression that i was tardy.

a few days later, a decline email was sent. ' moving forward with other candidates'

Aside from the receptionist/ HR notification mishap, i felt good about the interview process and felt positive about it overall. I really enjoyed it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at Groupon in December 2011.

The first call back from Groupon is a 15 minute discussion. They really don't care to learn anything about you. They just wanted to know what information you already know about the company and about the industry. Be prepared to speak in industry lingo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Groupon in December 2011.

Received a voice message after I applied saying they wanted to set up a interview. Played phone tag for a while than had phone interview and the person in HR loved Groupon but did not really care about what I had to say. Just Talked about Groupon and really did not go over my resume or qualifications. I heard that if you aska lot of questions, that they like that so I did it. However she did not answer any of questions and instead talked about how great Groupon was and why she loved working there. VERY ODD!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Groupon in November 2011.

After a phone interview that basically consisted of me telling them while I was interested in sales...I went into the downtown office for more interviews. I was given 20 minutes to come up with a sales pitch for a restaurant and then had to present it to two HR reps. Then I met with two inside sales supervisors, and then with a sales director. It took about 2.5 hours total...they asked a lot of questions about why I wanted to be in sales and what benefits I thought were in sales. Then they asked me in several ways if I was ready to accept an offer and ready to start right away. Seemed promising, right? I was given a brief tour, and then told I would have one more phone interview in a week with a national sales director. That guy was extremely brief and kept telling me that he didn't understand why I would want to be in sales, when my background was mostly in marketing (and some sales). The next day, I received a voicemail saying that they were going to go with someone who had a bigger background in sales. The only thing that stunk about this is that if they wanted someone with more experience in sales, why did they drag me through three interviews to tell me this? They also were upfront with the fact that the position pays $32,500 starting out.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be in sales   Answer Question
    • You do not have many years of experience in sales...so what made you want to apply for this position   Answer Question