Groupon Intern Interview Questions

Updated Apr 9, 2015

2.6

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Groupon in March 2015.

Interview

Everyone, including my recruiter and interviewers, was very nice. I loved speaking to all of them! My recruiter especially was extremely supportive and was always happy to answer any questions I had. The interview process for me consisted of one initial phone screen, where they asked general questions about the programming language I told them I felt most comfortable with and about things on my resume, and then three hour-long interviews over Skype after that.

Interview Questions

• Know your data structures very well! This includes (but is definitely not limited to) hash tables, linked lists, stacks, queues, and trees. Even though the questions weren't extremely hard, you have to really know your basic data structures and algorithms to get them.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Groupon

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Groupon.

Interview

Spoke with recruiter at school career fair, scheduled on-campus meeting for the next day at the career center. Longer than most campus interviews, had two back to back 45 minute interviews, both technical. Interviewers were both very friendly

Interview Questions

• basic data structures question, spent significant time on resume   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

The interview process is not bad if you are familiar with the genre. I was referred via by company recruiting operation. I got on phone twice with recruiter point of contact. The actual in-person part of the process included three consecutive interviews, each lasting 45 minutes long. They wanted to test out programming ability, frontend and design experience, and how to handle product development process.

Interview Questions

• What is your thought process when a product you've contributed to fails?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

interviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL) in June 2013.

Interview

Very casual talk. The interviewer are managers who don't have a lot of experiences of interviewing people, so they didn't really ask regular questions. This makes it a bit difficult since you have to think about how to make a connections of the things you say.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Interview

Phone screen in which they asked about my resume, then invited me to the office for an in person interview. First, two interns interviewed me, both nervous and not well prepared. It was awkward because they kept seeming overly impressed by my experience. Then the head of the department I was applying to came in, talked to me disinterestedly for five minutes, was totally unfriendly and insulted the university that I go to. They might have a "cool" office but they need to work on their professionalism.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

One case based interview and one behavioral/fit interview. Questions are unexpected, used to understand how well you think on your feet and whether you are a good fit for the company.

Interview Questions

• What animal would you choose for a petting zoo and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL) in March 2012.

Interview

First round was over the phone with a recruiter. They simply wanted to know why I was interested in Groupon, and give my overall impression about their business model and areas where I thought they could improve. The second round interview wasn't for about 5 weeks later but was in the office and consisted of 2 face to face interviews. In the first face to face, we went over my resume and talked about where I would be interested to work in and how my experience would apply. The second face to face was unique in that he didn't ask me any questions but wanted me to learn about the culture at Groupon and therefore told me to ask all the questions. I had never experienced that before and it really helped when it came to making a decision about working there. In none of my interviews did I receive any behavioral questions or brain teasers. They seemed genuinely interested in learning about me and how I could fit into Groupon. The office is all open desks and nobody has their own offices, including the execs. Culture seemed really laid back but serious and hard working.

Interview Questions

• If you had to develop a new product for Groupon what would it be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Office Hall, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Groupon (Office Hall, VA) in March 2012.

Interview

Normally, they will be advertising openings for internship and thereafter, will be shortlisting resume. After that an interview will be set for the candidate. Interview includes discussion about yourself (briefly), your past experiences and background, your schedule. Then based on your preliminary exhibited traits, the interviewer will recommend a department and if they want you, the internship schedule is set.

Interview Questions

• Are you aware of the other group-buying sites in the country?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied online and was referred by an employee. I heard back about a week after I applied and was told I would be receiving a phone call for a first round interview. The call was very conversational, no tough questions really. She simply had me walk through my resume and asked why I was interested in Groupon.

About a week after the first phone interview, I received an e-mail saying I'd been selected for second round interviews in Chicago. I interviewed with two different employees for thirty minutes each. The first interview included some mildly difficult questions while the second was extremely conversational and laid back.

Interview Questions

• What strategies would you use to encourage temporary employees to stay with us for full time careers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL) in April 2011.

Interview

Company is very attentive to applicants and was quick to get back to me about interview results. They informed me I would find out the outcomes of both interviews on a specific day and they were good about sticking to it! I had an easy phone interview then was asked to do a second round in their Chicago office. This was an interview day for all people applying for the summer internship program.

Despite their earlier organization, this interview orientation was highly unorganized with strange transitions, awkward breaks, mix ups with interviewees and recruiters, and lack of knowledge of jobs descriptions. I never received a clear understanding of what my job would entail and the recruiters seemed to improvise everything. This was the first summer they would provide an internship program to undergraduates, so I give them leeway for that, but I imagine the company to be just as disorganized as this event was. I originally looked past all of these negative things that stood out to me (disorganized event, recruiter during phone interview didn't introduce self, no information about job role in internship) because I glamorized working here. I see know, having not been accepted, that this is best and I don't think I could work with an overwhelmingly unsystematic company.

Recruiters and other staff were very friendly and the building space is very cool!

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company?   1 Answer
    • What are you looking for in this internship? What do you hope to learn/receive from this work?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to go into this field?   Answer Question