Groupon Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jun 4, 2014

2.5

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

The interview process is not bad if you are familiar with the genre. I was referred via by company recruiting operation. I got on phone twice with recruiter point of contact. The actual in-person part of the process included three consecutive interviews, each lasting 45 minutes long. They wanted to test out programming ability, frontend and design experience, and how to handle product development process.

Interview Questions
  • What is your thought process when a product you've contributed to fails?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Groupon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

interviewed at Groupon in June 2013.

Very casual talk. The interviewer are managers who don't have a lot of experiences of interviewing people, so they didn't really ask regular questions. This makes it a bit difficult since you have to think about how to make a connections of the things you say.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Phone screen in which they asked about my resume, then invited me to the office for an in person interview. First, two interns interviewed me, both nervous and not well prepared. It was awkward because they kept seeming overly impressed by my experience. Then the head of the department I was applying to came in, talked to me disinterestedly for five minutes, was totally unfriendly and insulted the university that I go to. They might have a "cool" office but they need to work on their professionalism.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Groupon in February 2013.

One case based interview and one behavioral/fit interview. Questions are unexpected, used to understand how well you think on your feet and whether you are a good fit for the company.

Interview Questions
    • What animal would you choose for a petting zoo and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Office Hall, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Office Hall, VA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Groupon in March 2012.

Normally, they will be advertising openings for internship and thereafter, will be shortlisting resume. After that an interview will be set for the candidate. Interview includes discussion about yourself (briefly), your past experiences and background, your schedule. Then based on your preliminary exhibited traits, the interviewer will recommend a department and if they want you, the internship schedule is set.

Interview Questions
    • Are you aware of the other group-buying sites in the country?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Groupon in March 2012.

First round was over the phone with a recruiter. They simply wanted to know why I was interested in Groupon, and give my overall impression about their business model and areas where I thought they could improve. The second round interview wasn't for about 5 weeks later but was in the office and consisted of 2 face to face interviews. In the first face to face, we went over my resume and talked about where I would be interested to work in and how my experience would apply. The second face to face was unique in that he didn't ask me any questions but wanted me to learn about the culture at Groupon and therefore told me to ask all the questions. I had never experienced that before and it really helped when it came to making a decision about working there. In none of my interviews did I receive any behavioral questions or brain teasers. They seemed genuinely interested in learning about me and how I could fit into Groupon. The office is all open desks and nobody has their own offices, including the execs. Culture seemed really laid back but serious and hard working.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to develop a new product for Groupon what would it be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Groupon in March 2012.

I applied online and was referred by an employee. I heard back about a week after I applied and was told I would be receiving a phone call for a first round interview. The call was very conversational, no tough questions really. She simply had me walk through my resume and asked why I was interested in Groupon.

About a week after the first phone interview, I received an e-mail saying I'd been selected for second round interviews in Chicago. I interviewed with two different employees for thirty minutes each. The first interview included some mildly difficult questions while the second was extremely conversational and laid back.

Interview Questions
    • What strategies would you use to encourage temporary employees to stay with us for full time careers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Groupon in March 2011.

Phone interview, then trip to the office for the face to face. Interviewed by a manager in the sales department and a business analyst guy. Sales interview was fun, interviewer was nice. The business analyst asked a few consulting style market sizing questions which weren't particularly easy, but not too bad.

Interview Questions
    • How many windows would you say there are in the Chicago loop?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Groupon in April 2011.

Company is very attentive to applicants and was quick to get back to me about interview results. They informed me I would find out the outcomes of both interviews on a specific day and they were good about sticking to it! I had an easy phone interview then was asked to do a second round in their Chicago office. This was an interview day for all people applying for the summer internship program.

Despite their earlier organization, this interview orientation was highly unorganized with strange transitions, awkward breaks, mix ups with interviewees and recruiters, and lack of knowledge of jobs descriptions. I never received a clear understanding of what my job would entail and the recruiters seemed to improvise everything. This was the first summer they would provide an internship program to undergraduates, so I give them leeway for that, but I imagine the company to be just as disorganized as this event was. I originally looked past all of these negative things that stood out to me (disorganized event, recruiter during phone interview didn't introduce self, no information about job role in internship) because I glamorized working here. I see know, having not been accepted, that this is best and I don't think I could work with an overwhelmingly unsystematic company.

Recruiters and other staff were very friendly and the building space is very cool!

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the company?   View Answer
    • What are you looking for in this internship? What do you hope to learn/receive from this work?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to go into this field?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chennai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Groupon in May 2014.

It took me nearly two months time to carry out the entire operation.They called me for the interview process and asked only the basic question from various fields.But cons is more work pressure for my friend who is working there.

Interview Questions
    • All the question are very easy and never expected this kind of questions from them.   Answer Question

Worked for Groupon? Contribute to the Community!