Groupon Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.8

Account Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Groupon.

Phone and Skype combo. Seemed rushed and wrote me off quickly without diving deeper. Seemed like they wanted a direct connection with the work I'm doing at my current employer, but the industry and circumstances are different. They asked a lot of questions about handling stress, constant change, and working within a fast-paced team environment.

Interview Questions
    • How many clients do you currently support?   View Answer

Account Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Groupon in March 2015.

Had an in at the company, applied online then I was invited to come down to their HQ in Chicago. Interview process was fairly straightforward and the place is legitimately a call center. Interviewed with two managers and was walked out by a recruiter.

I will say this, on our tour, once we reached the third floor, we walked into the media area and there was a gentleman projectile vomiting in the garbage. I know they have a work hard, play hard mentality but that was pretty unprofessional. It should also be noted there was more than one beer can laying around their office.

Aside from that everything else was fine, still waiting to hear back from them.

Interview Questions
    • First interviewer asked about the general concepts of the company.

What do we do?
      Tell me about our business?

View Answer
    • Second interviewer asked strictly about hypothetical situations.

"We don't want to do business with Groupon, change my mind"

View Answer

I haven't heard back from them yet can't honestly answer the question.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Groupon in March 2015.

Everyone, including my recruiter and interviewers, was very nice. I loved speaking to all of them! My recruiter especially was extremely supportive and was always happy to answer any questions I had. The interview process for me consisted of one initial phone screen, where they asked general questions about the programming language I told them I felt most comfortable with and about things on my resume, and then three hour-long interviews over Skype after that.

Interview Questions
    • Know your data structures very well! This includes (but is definitely not limited to) hash tables, linked lists, stacks, queues, and trees. Even though the questions weren't extremely hard, you have to really know your basic data structures and algorithms to get them.   Answer Question

Finance Manager - Technology Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Groupon.

Highly unprofessional. The recruiter reached out to me to set up a phone interview. I confirmed the date and time of our call, and she agreed to it. However, the recruiter no-showed to the call with absolutely no communication.

I had specifically carved time out of my day to be away from the office for this call. Advice to Groupon: Your recruiters should have some respect and be considerate of people's time. If you don't want to interview someone, don't reach out and schedule an interview. It's that simple.

Software Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Groupon.

1. I ahd applied for a Mobile application development project.Firstly I got an phone screening call, they asked me abut my projects, why Groupon.
    2. Then there was a technical coding interview where the interviewer gave his brief background and then asked about mine, but was least bothered about my academic projects.He asked me few questions on Android like life cycle of android the then he asked me to write a code on a shared screen.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Groupon in February 2015.

Standard pattern: 30 min phone call discussing my background and why you want to get into sales, followed by an hour-long (2 x 30 min) interview at the company headquarters.

You clearly need to have an understanding of how Groupon works, and why it would be beneficial to a company. They want to know if you can easily explain how a company would make money, what the advantages are, and how you would handle a potential client that continues to say no.

Interview Questions
    • After a month on the job, will you be in the top 20%, the middle 60%, or the bottom 20%? What would you do if you were in the bottom 20%?   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Groupon in February 2015.

I applied online and then the next day received an email asking to set up a phone interview. About a week after the phone interview I got an email saying that they moved on with another candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for groupon? Questions were pretty easy.   Answer Question

Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Groupon in February 2015.

Applied online and had an employee referral so then received a phone interview. On the initial application I had to do a mock pitch letter for a company who was looking for information on Groupon. Then after setting up a time for a phone interview I spoke with a Groupon representative for about 30 minutes. I did not make it past the phone interview and was later told that I did not do a good job of selling myself to them or showing an interest in sales.

Lead Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Groupon in February 2015.

Screened by two recruiters. The interview itself consisted of talking briefly with the two recruiters, followed by meeting with 5 people in the department. I met the hiring manager's boss first, then the hiring manager's partner, then the hiring manager, then some senior person in finance, and finally an analyst in the department who administered a SQL test.

Interview Questions
    • What would be the best feature to determine how much money a deal will make on Groupon's site?

That was followed shortly by "What would be the best predictor of whether a merchant will run on Groupon?"

Answer Question

Inventory Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Groupon.

Was first emailed by HR to do a phone interview. Did an interview a day later and was asked basic interview questions. Like why do you want to work for groupon? Tell me about yourself? etc. I then scheduled a phone interview with the supervisor of the Getaways department. My interview with him was the next day. He asked me to explain my resume, why groupon? what made you apply for this position? etc. He said the HR woman would email me about further steps. She called me about 1 week later to tell me that the position had been filled and thanked me for my time and would keep me in mind for any future positions.

Interview Questions
    • The position is going through a change within the next month, where we will be using a completely different system. How does that make you feel?   View Answer