Groupon Outside Sales Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated May 13, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL) in September 2014.

Interview

3 phone interviews and an in person meeting... had a phone interview, then we had skype interviews and then an in person with the direct manager... it was not too long and the meetings lasted about 30 minutes each...

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable asking financial questions and can you explain ROI   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Groupon

Outside Sales Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Groupon.

Interview

Close everyone you talk to. Know the business well. Do your homework. Be ready for a math question. And don't be shocked when it's a very young person asking the questions. Even though you may hear about how lax the atmosphere is, still wear a stinking suit to your interview!

Interview Questions

• A math question. "If we ran a $10 for $20 and paid the merchant $5, and they're food cost was xx%, how much overspend before the merchant makes money".   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was none. Recruiter told me $45,000 to start. But the offer was $50,000. So I kept my mouth shut.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Groupon (Columbus, OH) in June 2013.

Interview

Took about a month or so.... 3-4 interviews- starting with the recruiter (2x's)- then the hiring manager, then the regional director. All of the interviews were via Skype as they're based in Chicago and am outside rep in another market. Many situational questions- what would you do__x_? What did you do__x__? How did you handle__x__?

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult- basic outside sales questions- situational.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated pay via the recruiter to the regional director of sales.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Groupon (San Diego, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Very normal sales interview. It was a piece of cake. They just want to make sure it is a fit for both parties. They want to know that you are a team player and that sales is all about building relationships.

Outside Sales Account Executive Interview

Interview

Reviews are done via Skype. Easy process and they seem to have no professional process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Groupon (Dallas, TX) in July 2012.

Interview

Recruiter sent me message through linked in. Talked to recruiter then 3 levels of over the phone interviews.

Negotiation

I was able to get $3000 more on salary than offer.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Groupon (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2012.

Interview

Someone that works at groupon passed my resume to HR. I received an email and set up a short, 15 minute phone interview. That went well and I was invited to a second phone interview. The second interview was about 40 minutes. I was invited to interview in person in Philadelphia with The International VP of Sales and the City manager, who were flying in from Chicago to interview candidates for an evening and the following day. I prepared the best I could, preparing questions, seraching the internet for Groupon in the news, which was pretty negative at this point in time, stock performance, etc. I actually prepared a 30, 60, 90 day plan which I never had the opportuntiy to present. I also had prepared some info for role playing, even though I was told that it would just be conversational interview. I shook the hand of the City Manager and then was introduced to the International VP of Sales. He asked me about my background and then jumped right into role playing.... It was typical, he was a restaurant owner and I would try to sell him a groupon daily deal. I introduced grouon. I overcame 3 or 4 objections price( people spend more than the groupon), why do I need this (keep up with competition), keep new customers with groupon rewards, why no go with cheaper competitors- do not have the larger client base of groupon, brand, customer analysis, etc. He asked mre to calculate discounts- when I came up with the answer immediately, he tried to sutmp me with more difficult calulations. When he said he wanted to think about I set a follow up appt. But I didn't close him on the spot so he let me ask a couple questions and had the HR person tell me they would contact me next week. I never got to sit down with the city manager. MY RECOMMENDATION: BE PREPARED TO SELL! Practice role playing with anyone that will sit down with you before the interview!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Groupon (Boston, MA) in March 2012.

Interview

Two interviews with a Recruiter, followed by an interview and role play with a manager. After that, there were a couple more interviews with various other Account Executives and Managers just to make sure you have the right personality for 'Team Boston'. Make sure you understand the economics of Groupon. If you don't, go through it with the HR recruiter.

Interview Questions

• How will your past sales experience help you succeed at Groupon   Answer Question
    • How well will you work on your own in the field   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL) in January 2012.

Interview

Good sales interview, recruiter 3x, Sales Manager 1x, Quantative Sales Manager 1x, Division Manager 1x. I thought the process was simple based on my skill set for the position. In freading the comments on GlassDoor is seems like alot of sales people feel they are being micro-managed. Part of this needs to fall on the employee as they may not be using all the reporting tools available to keep management informed.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very good offer for the market size and responsibilties.

Outside Sales Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Groupon in May 2012.

Interview

Initial contact was made by internal corporate recruiter. 1st interview with internal corporate recruiter was approximately 45 minutes, fairly basic resume/ experience review. 2nd interview with HR representative, again very basic. I asked several questions and was told to ask them of the sales manager during next interview. 3rd interview was with sales manager responsible for territory. The interview lasted 20 minutes, no depth in questions, brief review of my experience then the interviewer spoke about the position and his experience. He said he joined the company because he took a break from his MBA program and the company was based in Chicago where he lived and was hiring. Offered no compelling reason for working for the company. I found out more about the interviewer than he did about me. I felt he was either ill prepared, uninterested, or very inexperienced in the selection process.

Interview Questions

• The interview process was entirely a "Resume Review". ie., "What were your responsibilities @....."   Answer Question