Groupon Interview Questions in Palo Alto, CA

Updated Aug 20, 2015

2.5

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

typical questions nothing too out of the ordinary. whats your resume experience, tell us about yourself, why do you want to work here, what do you know about sales and whats your experience in sales very standard and be sure to know a lot about the company and position and do ur homewrk

Staffing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Rushed and quick. The lady that phone interviewed me spoke a lot and was loud, and didn't ask me a lot of questions. I've had better phone interviews from other companies this week.

Interview Questions

• Questions on boolean strings sourcing, the manager didn't seem to know a lot about sourcing, so it was a weird interview   1 Answer

The role and career opportunity wasn't very clear. I had other interviews that I felt better about, so I decided to move forward with another company

University Relations Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied on Groupon via their website and heard back rather quickly (2-3 days) from the hiring manager who set up one of her recruiters to speak with me for 30 minute on the phone. After successfully completing that stage, I had to wait a little over a week for the next stage which consisted of 4 Skype Interviews ranging from 45 minutes to an hour. The first interview was with two peers. The second interview was with a VP of Engineering. The third interview was with the hiring manager. The fourth interview was with the director of the group (the hiring manager's manager). I felt all interviews went well but some of them such as the peer interview, and the director interview had gone phenomenally well. After those interviews, I was told I'd hear back regarding results within 2 weeks. Towards the end of the 2 weeks, I received an offer from another company and let my interview team know. They promised a quick turn around and they delivered. I received a call from the hiring manager the following business day to alert me that they unfortunately were going with another candidate. Upon digging to find out where I missed the mark, the manager was very nice and let me know that the decision came down purely to location. I was a relocation candidate that would require a bit more ramp up time for the area than their local candidate who could hit the ground running. I thought it was very commendable that they would not only call me instead of emailing, but also letting me know why I was not chosen. I think overall this process was an excellent one and would look forward to possibly working for Groupon in the future sometime.

Interview Questions

• How would you differentiate a good candidate from an exceptional candidate?   Answer Question

Media Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Interviewed at my college with and was asked for a second interview in Palo Alto, CA. For the second interview I had to present my work for 45 minutes and then had five 45 minute interviews back to back. Groupon is divided into product side, consumer side, and in-house marketing. I interviewed for consumer side. The interview seemed more like they just wanted to get to know me personally. They didn't go over my work or thought process that much and mostly showed me tools they were using and talked about what my responsibilities might be.

Interview Questions

• A visual designer asked me what I would change on their website.   Answer Question

Desktop Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Applied online and heard back very quickly from the Desktop Support Manager. Had a short 20-30 minute chat about the company and my work experience. Then spoke with one of the Desktop Support Analysts for half an hour. Asked more about my experience and a few technical questions. Really simple ones, nothing too hard. Was asked for an in-person interview which included in person w/ one person and video conference with 3 people in Chicago. Took about a week and a half to hear back, but I think I may have had something to do with that as I needed to hear back because I was getting another offer. I really enjoyed the interview process here. They were very nice, social, and responded quickly. I liked everyone I interviewed with and had a very very good impression of them. Unfortunately they weren't offering me what I had hoped. If I didn't have other offers, I would have jumped on this quickly. Great people and good place to work at, from my impression.

I still kind of regret not coming here but after receiving a higher offer from another company, and then my current company countering with even more, I couldn't leave. A 15k difference was way too much to give up.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Initial Contact - Phone from in-house recruiter. Standard questions, from a nice person. Nothing particularly difficult or memorable, but the recruiter was high energy without being hyper. It went well enough that she wanted to schedule phone screen with the hiring manager. Phone Screen/Interview with 'hiring manager' - again there were fairly standard interview questions for a screen - nothing too in-depth as it's limited time of course. We discussed my views of a change they were considering. I felt that things went well and was confident that I could work with/for this person. Scheduled in-person Interviews - this took a little longer than originally suggested, but her original plan was within 2 days and I understand that it's hard to coordinate schedules for more than 2 people..... The plan was for me to meet with 5 people at their Palo Alto offices (though the director would be remote in Chicago Headquarters) In-Person Interviews - Upon arrival I was greeted by the 'Interview Coordinator?' someone that assists the recruiter with interviews. She was pleasant and helpful. She explained that unfortunately there were some last minute important meeting conflicts and that I would not be able to meet with everyone as scheduled. OK - stuff happens. - I was shown to a conference room for a video conference with the director in Chicago. Almost immediately there were technical issues with delayed response on the video and poor audio quality. Frustrating, but not that uncommon in my experience. We switched to just audio via phone. I felt this person really didn't want to talk to me and was just going through the motions. Nothing was directly said, but she wasn't engaged, but was distracted. We talked for less than 30 minutes even including the technical problems and then she had to run to another meeting. - I then next spoke briefly with the 'hiring manager' I had spoken to previously on the phone. She apologized for the scheduling problems and said they'd get back to me....... I knew better. I could tell that it was unlikely there would be serious further contact. My guess - the 'hiring manager' wasn't really in charge. She had gone forward with scheduling me for interviews before having approval from the director. The director either didn't like something about me or just being forced to interview (or allow her team) to interview a candidate she hadn't pre-approved. Oh well, miscommunications happen and I was just a by-product casualty.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any. As I indicated above, I feel it was a perfunctory, pro-tracted interview.   1 Answer

Product Manager - Mobile Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

I was emailed by a technical recruiter from Groupon via LinkedIn. I then had an hour long chat with their Director of Product Recruitment. She was mostly updating me on what Groupon's next year's goals were and about 15 minutes of questions about me. She was very cheerful and pleasant to speak with on the phone. After a few days I got another email to have another phone interview with the Director of Product for mobile. The interviewer was quick and dove right into the questions. Things like describe yourself as three adjectives and why, what's a product you admire, etc. The interview went well, though after one answer (How would you define success of the Groupon daily deal?) the interviewer said the interview was over, if I had questions for him. Bam, 20 minutes over. Never heard from them again.

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me. After brief conversation with the recruiter the recruiter recommended that I fly to Chicago to meet with some members of the team. I had offered to do the first interview over the phone to save the company the cost of flying me out before they felt that things were moving in the right direction but the recruiter insisted that going to Chicago was the right next step. I interviewed in Chicago with some team members and haven't heard back from anyone there. I pinged the recruiter but haven't heard back from that person either. Seems strange to not get a response (even if it is a polite decline) after flying a person out.

Interview Questions

• If you were the CEO of RIM, what would you do to turn the company around?   Answer Question

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

The interview process at Groupon was perhaps one of the most genuine processes I've experienced. As a recruiter, I interview for a living. The team at Groupon treated me as a potential future in-law to their family, not only a future co-worker. They took the time to get to know me. To ask thought provoking questions and to sell me. Most companies on the upward swing in the silicon valley are young, cocky and focused solely on what THEY want. Not also on why a candidate might want to join. I left there feeling that the staff was not only genuine and kind but very motivated and intellectual.

Interview Questions

• If I didn't have a job description and only told you I needed an ETL engineer, what would you be looking for?   Answer Question
    • How would you sell us over our competitors?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Genuine. The conversation was no nonsense. "What are you making?" "What would it take to get you to sign today?" Easy.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Phone interview with the recruiter was pretty basic. Standard interview questions from recruiter. Mainly behavior type questions. Interview lasted around 40 mins.

Interview Questions

• What would other coworkers say about your management style?   Answer Question