Groupon Interview Questions in Palo Alto, CA

2.4

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Groupon in February 2013.

Initial Contact - Phone from in-house recruiter. Standard questions, from a nice person. Nothing particularly difficult or memorable, but the recruiter was high energy without being hyper. It went well enough that she wanted to schedule phone screen with the hiring manager.

Phone Screen/Interview with 'hiring manager' - again there were fairly standard interview questions for a screen - nothing too in-depth as it's limited time of course. We discussed my views of a change they were considering. I felt that things went well and was confident that I could work with/for this person.

Scheduled in-person Interviews - this took a little longer than originally suggested, but her original plan was within 2 days and I understand that it's hard to coordinate schedules for more than 2 people..... The plan was for me to meet with 5 people at their Palo Alto offices (though the director would be remote in Chicago Headquarters)

In-Person Interviews - Upon arrival I was greeted by the 'Interview Coordinator?' someone that assists the recruiter with interviews. She was pleasant and helpful. She explained that unfortunately there were some last minute important meeting conflicts and that I would not be able to meet with everyone as scheduled. OK - stuff happens.
    - I was shown to a conference room for a video conference with the director in Chicago. Almost immediately there were technical issues with delayed response on the video and poor audio quality. Frustrating, but not that uncommon in my experience. We switched to just audio via phone. I felt this person really didn't want to talk to me and was just going through the motions. Nothing was directly said, but she wasn't engaged, but was distracted. We talked for less than 30 minutes even including the technical problems and then she had to run to another meeting.
    - I then next spoke briefly with the 'hiring manager' I had spoken to previously on the phone. She apologized for the scheduling problems and said they'd get back to me.......

I knew better. I could tell that it was unlikely there would be serious further contact.

My guess - the 'hiring manager' wasn't really in charge. She had gone forward with scheduling me for interviews before having approval from the director. The director either didn't like something about me or just being forced to interview (or allow her team) to interview a candidate she hadn't pre-approved.

Oh well, miscommunications happen and I was just a by-product casualty.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any. As I indicated above, I feel it was a perfunctory, pro-tracted interview.   View Answer

Desktop Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Groupon.

Applied online and heard back very quickly from the Desktop Support Manager. Had a short 20-30 minute chat about the company and my work experience. Then spoke with one of the Desktop Support Analysts for half an hour. Asked more about my experience and a few technical questions. Really simple ones, nothing too hard.

Was asked for an in-person interview which included in person w/ one person and video conference with 3 people in Chicago. Took about a week and a half to hear back, but I think I may have had something to do with that as I needed to hear back because I was getting another offer.

I really enjoyed the interview process here. They were very nice, social, and responded quickly. I liked everyone I interviewed with and had a very very good impression of them. Unfortunately they weren't offering me what I had hoped. If I didn't have other offers, I would have jumped on this quickly. Great people and good place to work at, from my impression.

I still kind of regret not coming here but after receiving a higher offer from another company, and then my current company countering with even more, I couldn't leave. A 15k difference was way too much to give up.

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Groupon in November 2011.

The interview process at Groupon was perhaps one of the most genuine processes I've experienced. As a recruiter, I interview for a living. The team at Groupon treated me as a potential future in-law to their family, not only a future co-worker. They took the time to get to know me. To ask thought provoking questions and to sell me. Most companies on the upward swing in the silicon valley are young, cocky and focused solely on what THEY want. Not also on why a candidate might want to join. I left there feeling that the staff was not only genuine and kind but very motivated and intellectual.

Interview Questions
    • If I didn't have a job description and only told you I needed an ETL engineer, what would you be looking for?   Answer Question
    • How would you sell us over our competitors?   Answer Question
    Genuine. The conversation was no nonsense. "What are you making?" "What would it take to get you to sign today?"

Easy.

Product Manager - Mobile Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Groupon in March 2012.

I was emailed by a technical recruiter from Groupon via LinkedIn. I then had an hour long chat with their Director of Product Recruitment. She was mostly updating me on what Groupon's next year's goals were and about 15 minutes of questions about me. She was very cheerful and pleasant to speak with on the phone. After a few days I got another email to have another phone interview with the Director of Product for mobile. The interviewer was quick and dove right into the questions. Things like describe yourself as three adjectives and why, what's a product you admire, etc. The interview went well, though after one answer (How would you define success of the Groupon daily deal?) the interviewer said the interview was over, if I had questions for him. Bam, 20 minutes over. Never heard from them again.

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Groupon in January 2012.

Recruiter contacted me. After brief conversation with the recruiter the recruiter recommended that I fly to Chicago to meet with some members of the team. I had offered to do the first interview over the phone to save the company the cost of flying me out before they felt that things were moving in the right direction but the recruiter insisted that going to Chicago was the right next step. I interviewed in Chicago with some team members and haven't heard back from anyone there. I pinged the recruiter but haven't heard back from that person either. Seems strange to not get a response (even if it is a polite decline) after flying a person out.

Interview Questions
    • If you were the CEO of RIM, what would you do to turn the company around?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Groupon in October 2011.

Phone interview with the recruiter was pretty basic. Standard interview questions from recruiter. Mainly behavior type questions. Interview lasted around 40 mins.

Interview Questions
    • What would other coworkers say about your management style?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Groupon in February 2011.

I applied for the position online and heard back months later, when I was asked for a phone interview. I did two phone interviews, each a month apart, with different Groupon designers, before being scheduled for an in-person meeting. However, upon getting to my interview early, the building was locked and I had no way of reaching the recruiter who'd been acting as liaison (she wasn't picking up the phone or responding to my email). I had to wait outside until another employee arrived and then ask for help in tracking down my contacts. Eventually we got things sorted out and I was there for about 4-5 hours, talking with different designers and teams and getting moved from one meeting room to another (including one without any chairs at all). Everything felt rather disorganized, although everybody I talked to was very personable and excited about working at Groupon.

Afterwards, I got a request to complete a design exercise (which is standard in their process and pretty normal in an interview). I completed it, sent notes explaining my thought process, and didn't hear back for about 2 more weeks, at which point I got a polite rejection. When I asked if I could possibly get any feedback for future reference, they never responded.

Overall, the in-person interview experience was positive, but the lack of communication and disorganization were huge negatives, so I'd rate the process in between neutral to slightly negative.

Interview Questions
    • What question haven't you been asked that you think we should have?   Answer Question
    • What do you think Groupon could improve on in terms of its design?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Groupon in September 2011.

I was contacted by the technical recruiter and had an interview set up with a current product designer. It was a 10 minute interview in which he asked myself and what got me to where I am today. He also asked me to take him through a few of my websites that I created and the processes I went through. However I was turned down because they were after someone with more years of experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Groupon in June 2011.

After two attempts at nailing down a time, both of which the interviewer was a no call, I went in to this iffy, and when my phone rang 15 minutes late, I wasn't feeling good about this.

Talking to a Senior Designer there for a phone screen, I realized that if all their designers were like this, I would not want to work for a company such as Groupon.

During our discussion, while explaining a couple products I've worked on, they went on to mock the service, even saying it was funny that users would even want to use this. I found it every unprofessional, and never have I talked to someone that did that, at any level in my career.

Interview Questions

Worked for Groupon? Contribute to the Community!