Groupon

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Designer Interview

1 Phone interview. Later 1 on-site interview: Started with tour of the company, design presentation. 4 back-to-back interviews with Product Manager, 2 designers, 1 director. There is also a small design test. Was quite exhausting.

Other Interview Reviews for Groupon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Groupon in January 2013.

They first reached out to me via Linked In. At first I wasn't super excited about the opportunity, I was also in talk with Foursquare, Gilt and Box. Following a few phone interviews they definitely got me excited.

30 minute phone Interview:
           One of the designers called me. He told me about the opportunity and asked me about me. I gave him a brief overview of my experience and than focused about some of my experience with a single project.

Right after the recruiter set up a second interview. The second interview was just with another designer and it was pretty much the same as the first one, talked about my experience and really try to focus on specific examples.

After the two interviews I just went back and forth with the recruiter and they booked a flight and hotel for me to do an onsite interview in Chicago. (I lived in New York)

I arrived to Chicago the night before the interview and was really impressed with the Hotel. The next day went something along these lines.

8am - tour of building (super nice)
    9am - 10am - I gave a keynote to about 20 designers (half of the were conferencing in from California) No one asked any questions right away, this presentation was mostly for me to talk about my experience and give an in-depth look at a few projects and provide context around some of my design decisions and product experience.
    10am -6pm - A string of one on one interviews with individual designers and managers. Most of them asked specific questions pertaining to my past experiences, otherwise I just kept rabbling on about my self, my past projects and really just my passion for building cool products.

In one of the individual meetings I did do a white board exercise with a designer. The designer was super nice and he didn't make it me nervous at all, he explained that he basically just wants to collaborate with him to wireframe out a movie app layout. We worked through the different elements that should be visible and the ones that shouldn't be and of course why.

The whole interview was hela long....but everyone was super nice..especially the recruiters they were super accommodating and were always there to guide me from room to room and get me anything I needed.

That same day, I rushed back to the airport and flew back to New York.

The recruiters were very open and told me the exact day when the designers were planning to meet to review me and the exact date when they would contact me. This was definitely a nice relief.

As promised I was contacted by a manager which asked me a few more detailed questions regarding to relocation and position responsibilities, later that day the recruiter contacted me with an offer that I couldn't refuse. Seriously their offer was much better than other offers. While interviewing with Groupon, I was also interviewing with Foursquare, BOX and Gilt which made me an offer.

I accepted the offer that night and moved from NY to Palo Alto in the next three weeks. They were super helpful in helping me find a place, providing me with a relocation bonus and the recruiter even tried to find my girlfriend a job. Overall great experience for moving cross country.

Interview Questions
    • The whiteboard exercise was unexpected but not really difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Groupon in September 2011.

I was contacted by the technical recruiter and had an interview set up with a current product designer. It was a 10 minute interview in which he asked myself and what got me to where I am today. He also asked me to take him through a few of my websites that I created and the processes I went through. However I was turned down because they were after someone with more years of experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Groupon in June 2011.

After two attempts at nailing down a time, both of which the interviewer was a no call, I went in to this iffy, and when my phone rang 15 minutes late, I wasn't feeling good about this.

Talking to a Senior Designer there for a phone screen, I realized that if all their designers were like this, I would not want to work for a company such as Groupon.

During our discussion, while explaining a couple products I've worked on, they went on to mock the service, even saying it was funny that users would even want to use this. I found it every unprofessional, and never have I talked to someone that did that, at any level in my career.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Groupon in February 2011.

I applied for the position online and heard back months later, when I was asked for a phone interview. I did two phone interviews, each a month apart, with different Groupon designers, before being scheduled for an in-person meeting. However, upon getting to my interview early, the building was locked and I had no way of reaching the recruiter who'd been acting as liaison (she wasn't picking up the phone or responding to my email). I had to wait outside until another employee arrived and then ask for help in tracking down my contacts. Eventually we got things sorted out and I was there for about 4-5 hours, talking with different designers and teams and getting moved from one meeting room to another (including one without any chairs at all). Everything felt rather disorganized, although everybody I talked to was very personable and excited about working at Groupon.

Afterwards, I got a request to complete a design exercise (which is standard in their process and pretty normal in an interview). I completed it, sent notes explaining my thought process, and didn't hear back for about 2 more weeks, at which point I got a polite rejection. When I asked if I could possibly get any feedback for future reference, they never responded.

Overall, the in-person interview experience was positive, but the lack of communication and disorganization were huge negatives, so I'd rate the process in between neutral to slightly negative.

Interview Questions
    • What question haven't you been asked that you think we should have?   Answer Question
    • What do you think Groupon could improve on in terms of its design?   Answer Question