Groupon Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 26, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Groupon (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Had the one Phone interview.Recruiter emailed to setup interview.This part of the process was smooth although delayed.The interviewer calls up 10 minutes late with no sign of an apology.I don't mind waiting on somebody,but I have a busy schedule as well and it would have been nice if the interviewer just acknowledged the fact that he was late.Seemed very uninterested in the interview process overall.Asked no followup questions regarding my work(probably because we didn't have much time as he was late).Asked random open ended CS questions.Again no follow up questions there.Seemed strange as open ended questions are put forth for the singular purpose of discussing.Then the coding problem.I quickly came up with a working problem.I offered to run him through the code but was declined.He read through the code and said "that would work".Opened up the last part for questions.I asked how it was working for groupon compared to his last job.That was it.

Interview Questions

• Was asked a very interesting tree problem.Given a tree and a number N, construct another tree such that each node of the tree has either 0 or N elements,except for one node which has between 0 to N elements.Only other constraint is that ancestry is preserved in the new tree.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Groupon

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Groupon.

Interview

Applied through a career fair. First, received a call from recruiter which was asking about my resume and was very general. Second, I had a technical interview on coderpad (an interactive tool similar to hackerrank). The question was pretty easy but the interviewer was not that helpful. Later, I was called for a second interview with a team manager which was generally asking about my experiences and background.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

they asked a question about: given two eggs and a 100 floored building, how can you try lowest amount of time to decide the highest floor it will break, I don't know why this is related to a software engineering job

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Groupon.

Interview

Asked about passed experiences and some general questions. The questions are quite open, including character, and hobbies. Overall, it was very positive and nice experience. I wish that I have had more industrial experiences and less schooling! :) There may be other rounds of interviews and more technical. The interviewer was very nice and professional.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The first round is on-campus back to back interview with two interviewers. One is Software Engineer, one is PM, both of them asked technical questions. The first interviewer asked me the object-oriented design concept and how to know if a linked list has a loop. He also went through my resume and asked me some details about my projects. Another interviewer asked me how to find all permutations of a given array. Even though I gave the correct answer, he seems like more interested in how I explain my logic.

Interview Questions

• The first interviewer asked me the object-oriented design concept and how to know if a linked list has a loop. Another one asked me how to find all permutations of an array.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Groupon.

Interview

I applied to them over a career fair at my school. Was then immediately contacted and we set up an on campus interview the next day. I had 2 back to back 45 minute technical interviews. Both were with technical recruiters. The recruiters were helpful when i got stuck and overall it wasn't very daunting. They also left time for personal questions.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really difficult. Basic Data Structures and OOP questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon.

Interview

One phone interview, one phone/online coding exercise, one in-person interview with 5 or 6 different people for 50 minutes/1 hour each without breaks. It was brutal and exhausting. All interview questions were code related, with every step of a 5 or 6 step process requiring me to write code that was actually functional (3 or 4 of the individual interviews) or pseudocode on a whiteboard, the exception being when we broke for lunch and that was riddles/brain teaser sort of thing. Exhausting.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected was asking me to reimplement a hash class with arrays. Why would I ever do this? It's a base class with well understood functionality, and the actual implementation in any language would be highly optimized. I've heard the arguments about "testing the way you think about things" and I don't buy it, especially when you only have 50 minutes to do it. What about testing the way I'd actually write code every day?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Groupon in October 2014.

Interview

It was an on-campus interview on job fair.. Pretty like a hr interview. He asked almost everything on my resume. like: 1. Tell me one improvement on one project you did. 2. There is a term in my resume, he asked what did this mean. God, I did not neither. 3. Tell me a project you did during your master period. not prepared. I named one, but lot mistakes. 4. What do you know about groupon. I did not know groupon(gesus, it is so famouse.). I just saw a lot of people waiting in the line, I came here two. And I told the truth. Shame of me.

Interview Questions

• 3. Tell me a project you did during your master period.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Groupon (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2014.

Interview

Give my resume to the company on university job fair, and got a response the day after the job fair. Two round on campus interview, each round is 45min.

Interview Questions

• Given you a file with all user email addresses, design an algorithm that can automatically output random email address   Answer Question
    • Median of two sorted array   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Talked to them at campus recruiting event, they scheduled a screening interview 1 week after, and then an on site interview about 3 weeks after that. The process was pretty smooth; the recruiters were very busy but very pleasant and replied to questions quickly. On site, a couple of the interviewers gave coding questions that were not too bad (similar difficulty to processing strings) but I did get one intermmediate dynamic programming question. My solutions to the average difficulty ones worked, but were not optimal, and I didn't do well on the dynamic programming question. I wasn't too surprised when they contacted me a couple weeks later saying they were going to pass. Even though it was dissapointing, the engineers I talked to were all very pleasant throughout the process. If you want to intern or full time here, I would recommend doing practice problems until you're solutions are efficient and you can tackle some intermmediate-advanced problems. (I'd rate the interview as intermmediate difficulty, but glassdoor doesn't have an option for intermmediate, and I wouldn't say it was average)