Groupon Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

24 interviews

3.2

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Applied online. Got a mail a week later asking to schedule an hr long interview. Was interviewed by a guy. He looked least interested in taking my interview. I was asked a simple code to write and the interview ended there. It lasted only for 20 mins. After a week or so I got a rejection mail

Other Interview Reviews for Groupon

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Groupon in October 2013.

Begin with a phone interview. Then there is a final round on-site interview with 4 Software Engineers in Groupon. When I start the on-site interview, I found that the interviewer seemed that they don't want do this on-site interview. Sometimes I talked my solution on the board. But they looked at the other part of the room and lost at some other thing they were thinking about.

Interview Questions
    • They want to start the on-site interview at 7:15AM. So early.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Groupon in October 2013.

I got the interview through college career fair. Two engineers interviewed me. The first 20 minutes were resume questions. Then there were two algorithm questions.

Software Engineer Interview

A call from the HR followed by technical interview followed by an onsite.
    1st interviewer: Fibonnacci series, Given X, find all the sets of four numbers adding up to X.
    2nd interview: Remove white spaces in a string and lots of generic technical question
    3rd interview : lunch interview- general discussion on design patterns
    4th interview: Puzzle on 25 horses
    5th interview: Design a system to return location based merchandise.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Groupon.

Phone interview: After several phone conversations with a recruiter, I spoke with a lead of an engineering team, and talked in detail about my background and qualifications. This lead to an on-site interview.

On-site interview: It was a rigorous 4-part interview with 4 different senior engineers. It was similar to what you might expect from a rigorous engineering company -- some basic CS theory questions, solve it on the whiteboard type of thing, plus discussions about my previous work experience and my work in grad school. Because I have a specific background in a research area of computer science, there were many questions about solving the types of problems in this area that may arise either at Groupon or in general.

Culture: I was impressed with all the people I met there, though most had not been there for very long.

Interview Questions
    • There was a difficult CS theory question about data structures and algorithms.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Groupon in July 2013.

Applied via LinkedIn and was contacted promptly by a recruiter to set up a phone interview. The phone interview went well; she was very cordial, said I answered the technical questions well and set up an onsite interview for next week.

The format of the onsite interview was to have each candidate pair off with an engineer in a separate room and then rotate every 30 mins so that each candidate is interviewed by each engineer.

I signed a paper stating that I cannot disclose the technical questions. However, I'll say that my second coding question, given by my second interviewer, was difficult. The guy had 1 and only 1 answer he was looking for. He told me my solution was "completely wrong" (which it wasn't ....) and didn't explain why. That was after he had sat there, watched me explain my procedure and asked relevant questions that I cleared up for him. I was baffled and shaken up.

After he left, the recruiter lady came in the room and asked me how I thought I did. Why she asked this, I have no idea, but she went on to tell me that I wasn't doing so well and the interview was going to be cut off early. It had been 1 hr so far and the interview was supposed to go 4 hrs.

So I took the walk of shame through the Groupon office area to the exit. She had to make things more awkward by following me into the elevator because she needed to go to the first floor. I tried to crack some lame joke to lighten the mood.

Then I walked to the nearest mini mart and bought a 24-oz Milwaukee's Best Ice to drink out of a paper bag while I waited 5 hours for the next train back home.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Groupon in July 2013.

one phone screen with recruiter, simple technical question.
    onsite: 4 round, normal level questions

Software Engineer Interview

Apply on LinkedIn. Then contact by a hr.

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Groupon.

I contacted a recruiter through Linkedin, and we quickly set up a technical phone interview that consisted of basic programming questions (string formatting, tree traversal). The onsite round was multiple technical interviews with software engineers from various groups. The questions were all typical programming assignments, but I was surprised that I never heard back from them afterwards. Despite this, I will be grading this as an "easy" interview; my guess is I was turned down for non-skills related reasons.

One thing noted in an earlier review was the reimbursement process - I also experienced issues with this, and it took quite some time to get paid back.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are all basic programming tasks:

-A to I
      -Tree traversal
      -App design
        Answer Question

HR phone call and 2 round phone interviews

Interview Questions

Worked for Groupon? Contribute to the Community!