Groupon

Getting the Interview

23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Groupon

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a mail a week later asking to schedule an hr long interview. Was interviewed by a guy. He looked least interested in taking my interview. I was asked a simple code to write and the interview ended there. It lasted only for 20 mins. After a week or so I got a rejection mail

Interview Question – Nothing difficult was asked   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Groupon in October 2013.

Interview Details – Begin with a phone interview. Then there is a final round on-site interview with 4 Software Engineers in Groupon. When I start the on-site interview, I found that the interviewer seemed that they don't want do this on-site interview. Sometimes I talked my solution on the board. But they looked at the other part of the room and lost at some other thing they were thinking about.

Interview Question – They want to start the on-site interview at 7:15AM. So early.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Groupon in October 2013.

Interview Details – I got the interview through college career fair. Two engineers interviewed me. The first 20 minutes were resume questions. Then there were two algorithm questions.

Interview Question – nothing out of expectation.   View Answer

Interviewed at Groupon

Interview Details – A call from the HR followed by technical interview followed by an onsite.
1st interviewer: Fibonnacci series, Given X, find all the sets of four numbers adding up to X.
2nd interview: Remove white spaces in a string and lots of generic technical question
3rd interview : lunch interview- general discussion on design patterns
4th interview: Puzzle on 25 horses
5th interview: Design a system to return location based merchandise.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult per se.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Groupon.

Interview Details – Phone interview: After several phone conversations with a recruiter, I spoke with a lead of an engineering team, and talked in detail about my background and qualifications. This lead to an on-site interview.

On-site interview: It was a rigorous 4-part interview with 4 different senior engineers. It was similar to what you might expect from a rigorous engineering company -- some basic CS theory questions, solve it on the whiteboard type of thing, plus discussions about my previous work experience and my work in grad school. Because I have a specific background in a research area of computer science, there were many questions about solving the types of problems in this area that may arise either at Groupon or in general.

Culture: I was impressed with all the people I met there, though most had not been there for very long.

Interview Question – There was a difficult CS theory question about data structures and algorithms.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Groupon in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied via LinkedIn and was contacted promptly by a recruiter to set up a phone interview. The phone interview went well; she was very cordial, said I answered the technical questions well and set up an onsite interview for next week.

The format of the onsite interview was to have each candidate pair off with an engineer in a separate room and then rotate every 30 mins so that each candidate is interviewed by each engineer.

I signed a paper stating that I cannot disclose the technical questions. However, I'll say that my second coding question, given by my second interviewer, was difficult. The guy had 1 and only 1 answer he was looking for. He told me my solution was "completely wrong" (which it wasn't ....) and didn't explain why. That was after he had sat there, watched me explain my procedure and asked relevant questions that I cleared up for him. I was baffled and shaken up.

After he left, the recruiter lady came in the room and asked me how I thought I did. Why she asked this, I have no idea, but she went on to tell me that I wasn't doing so well and the interview was going to be cut off early. It had been 1 hr so far and the interview was supposed to go 4 hrs.

So I took the walk of shame through the Groupon office area to the exit. She had to make things more awkward by following me into the elevator because she needed to go to the first floor. I tried to crack some lame joke to lighten the mood.

Then I walked to the nearest mini mart and bought a 24-oz Milwaukee's Best Ice to drink out of a paper bag while I waited 5 hours for the next train back home.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Groupon in July 2013.

Interview Details – one phone screen with recruiter, simple technical question.
onsite: 4 round, normal level questions

Interview Question – design search suggestion   View Answer

Interviewed at Groupon

Interview Details – Apply on LinkedIn. Then contact by a hr.

Interview Question – 2Sum problem   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Groupon.

Interview Details – I contacted a recruiter through Linkedin, and we quickly set up a technical phone interview that consisted of basic programming questions (string formatting, tree traversal). The onsite round was multiple technical interviews with software engineers from various groups. The questions were all typical programming assignments, but I was surprised that I never heard back from them afterwards. Despite this, I will be grading this as an "easy" interview; my guess is I was turned down for non-skills related reasons.

One thing noted in an earlier review was the reimbursement process - I also experienced issues with this, and it took quite some time to get paid back.

Interview Question – The questions are all basic programming tasks:

-A to I
-Tree traversal
-App design
  Answer Question

Interview Details – HR phone call and 2 round phone interviews

Interview Question – Just a normal interview process   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Groupon

Worked for Groupon? Contribute to the Community!

Groupon Videos

Groupon – Why Work for Us?

Who We are, How We Work We provide a global marketplace where people can buy just about anything, anywhere, anytime. We’re enabling real-time commerce across an expanding range of categories including local businesses… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Groupon Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by Groupon employees and interview candidates.