GrubHub Interview Questions

Updated Jul 26, 2015

2.5

Customer Care Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GrubHub (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

Really lax. General Questions. Interviewed in group then separately. Got emailed response within a week. Interview on rooftop. Really nice work environment. Seemingly nice employees. Looking forward to seeing what its about.

Interview Questions

• What was your most difficult challenge you faced in a similar position?   1 Answer

Delivery Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GrubHub (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2015.

Interview

You apply online (mostly your contact info) and someone will email you to ask about the best time to reach you. Total interview was less than 10 minutes and only asked one question (why did you apply?).

Analystst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at GrubHub (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

There were two phone interviews. They seem to be in a hurry and don't have much patience. First I got a call from a general manager of the finance team. She asked me some general questions like describe your self and how do you like our company. Then I got a call from a more technical employee, asking about more specific technical problem.

Interview Questions

• 1. what make you want to work with us? 2. Can I ask you some SQL questions?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at GrubHub (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

First phone screen was with HR, gauging my interest. Second phone screen was with Senior Dir describing GrubHub, its teams, locations, business model. I asked some business-model questions and offered some innovation business ideas which he found interesting but not implemented yet. Asked me if I have any questions before moving to technical peer-programming over the web.

Interview Questions

• I was given a graphical illustration of a mouse in a maze. Left means left 90 degrees. Right means right 90 degrees. Implement solve. public interface BlindMouse { int move(); // 0 == ok, 1 == exit, -1 == blocked void turn(int direction); // 0 == left; 1 == right; } public class BlindMouseDriver{ public void solve(BlindMouse mouse) { } }   1 Answer

Application

Interview

A full afternoon, broken into four parts. 1. general discussion of the position with a team lead 2. coding exercise -- they bring in a laptop and have you flesh out a skeleton project 3. OO design exercise -- how would you design a ___? 4. more senior manager Heavy emphasis on programming in Java. They really want someone who programs in it day to day and it looks like you really get dinged for small mistakes even if you are coding on a whiteboard or on paper. In my case, it seems one issue was that I was not assertive enough in defending my design / coding decisions. They're really looking for someone who can work quickly and stand behind that work.

Interview Questions

Interview

Two 10 minute phone interviews, one with HR and one with a sales manager, with experience and behavioral questions then a Skype/onsite interview with 2/3 people for 20 minutes each.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you convinced someone to do something.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at GrubHub.

Interview

Made me an offer through Hired.com, then had a phone interview with a nice guy who asked about my experience and asked relevant technical questions to gauge my understanding of the Angular framework. Went well. Got an in-person interview a few days later. .......which is where it went downhill. As with other candidates on here, I was placed in an empty room and left there on my own for 15 minutes. So that was nice. Then, two fellows came in, asked me a single question "What is your experience with X?", listened to my brief response without comment, then said "OK" and launched straight into a pretty ridiculous technical interview. They had me implement Conway's Game of Life from a skeleton of code, which is a bit tricky even if you've done it before. If you haven't done it, then let me assure you figuring out how to do it with a guy literally sitting on each side of you looking over your shoulder and pointing out your mistakes is NOT the ideal way to start, especially when they've both already shown themselves to be highly robotic and unsociable interviewers. I got most of it, but got stuck on one point and knew I wasn't going to get past it in that context, and it was crystal clear that was enough to sink the interview. I had already stopped caring....their impression was so overwhelmingly negative that I had lost all interest pretty fast. Didn't need the job quite that badly. Did I mention they didn't even book a room for the whole interview, so in the middle of implementing the Game of Life someone came knocking and opened the door and asked for the room? But that's cool, everyone knows distractions like that shouldn't make a difference to a GOOD engineer. Summary: mechanical interviewers and inconsiderate treatment topped off by my value being judged entirely on one very poorly set-up and poorly evaluated technical exercise, zero actual conversation or discussion of my experience, strengths, or interests.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with [framework name]? (there was no further discussion of it)   1 Answer

Online Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at GrubHub (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview, In-Person interview with 4 different managers. Everyone I met with was great and super knowledgeable! The whole process was very professional and positive. I have a lot of respect for GrubHub...seems like a great place to work.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at GrubHub.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter working for GrubHub, and scheduled an interview. The first interview was at the recruiter's office. This was with a director of engineering, but was only a 20 minute slot. I showed up, and was shown in to see the director as soon as the prior candidate was finished. We did a technical interview where he asked me to write a method to implement an algorithm, then talked about improving its performance, handling bad inputs, etc. After my 20 minutes were up, the interview was over. This session was very abrupt, and I got the vibe that the director was a good guy, but he was very terse and brusque here. We did not have any chance to talk about the role or company. After this I had a brief call with HR. They wanted to schedule an on-site interview. It sounded like I would interview with 4-5 people, but not the actual hiring manager or team I may end up with. I decided not to proceed with GrubHub, because if I'm going to spend a whole day interviewing, I'd like to at least meet people I would work with, and my possible future manager. Also, I felt the whole process thus far was designed to meet their needs, at the expense of my own. For example, the technical screen could have been over the phone, as opposed to requiring me to come downtown.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you are writing a point-of-sale system. Write the method that does XYZ. Now, what about performance? What if we need it to work with a very large input? What if it has to work in other currencies? Et cetera.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at GrubHub in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online through their website and received a call from the recruiter to go over my resume and experience. this went well, and they sent me an online coding problem. I wrote a correct solution to the problem they gave, but it could have had a decent improvement on space usage. After 8 days I emailed the recruiter to see if there was any movement in the interview process. I didn't receive a response so I emailed again 11 days later. It is now 7 days after that email and still no response as to whether or not I am still a candidate for the position. Very unprofessional and disappointing that I still have not received any update from the company.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to reverse all the words in a string separated by spaces. There will be k spaces, and k + 1 words.   1 Answer