Guardian Industries

Updated Dec 3, 2014
Updated Dec 3, 2014

2.7

Plant Controller Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Guardian Industries in March 2008.

it was just fine...nothing big actually. talked to a whole host of people after talking to people at the corp office. took long time

Interview Questions
    • would you buy an ice cream stand or a car wash   View Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goole, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goole, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Guardian Industries in January 2011.

An interview was arranged for me by a recruitment agency through which I applied. My contact at the agency was very good and positive about my chances of getting this role. Apparently, she had sent several CV's to Guardian over a period of two and a half months and Guardian knocked them all back; I was the only person they chose to interview. That gave me added confidence that there was something about my experience and skills that they were interested in.

I arrived at Guardian and was escorted to a waiting area by a security guard. A friendly woman greeted me and asked me to fill an application form in and asked me if I wanted a drink; so far so good.

After about fifteen minutes, my interviewer arrived. From his arrival and initial exchanges he seemed uninterested in the interview and in me. It crossed my mind that this could be a ploy, a kind of "I'm going to raise objections about your suitability for this position and you have to convince me that they are incorrect and hence you will have to convince me that you should have this job" as he seemed to me to be raising unreasonable objections.

But it became apparent that that wasn't the case. My contact at the agency told me (as per the instruction of the HR Manager at Guardian) that I was being considered not only for the position I applied for (Process Engineer) but also the Process Manager position because of my previous experience. When I raised this with my interviewer, he told me "no, I don't think so; you are not experienced enough for the Process Manager position."

After the interview I was left wondering why there was such a difference in opinion. There seems as if there could have been some conflict between my interviewer and the HR manager/department, but that is just a theory. It does not excuse the lack of professionalism shown towards me in the interview.

I gave, in my opinion, a very good interview, despite the lack of interest from my interviewer. I put a good case across as to why Guardian should give the position, but it seemed certain from the very beginning of the interview that the interviewer's mind was made up.

I left the interview feeling underwhelmed; I'd put in the time and effort to travel to the interview and give a good interview and in return I was shown contempt.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult thing you've ever done in your life?   Answer Question

Production Supervisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guardian Industries.

Stared with a phone interview. If called in for a second interview be prepared for a long day. It consists of meeting with multiple people (about 7 or 8) and interview by each one individually. You have to pass each interview to be extended a job offer. Typical interview questions and lots of behavioral type questions. There number one focus is safety!

Interview Questions
    • Typical interview questions and lots of behavioral type questions.   Answer Question

Senior Staff Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Guardian Industries.

Interview with at least 6 or 7 people from various disciplines and responsibilities

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to work nights and weekends. My answer was yes and little did I know what I was in for!!   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. It was a take it or leave it offer except the start date. I was allowed to start 1 week later than they requested.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Guardian Industries in April 2010.

Two interviews typical. First time expect to meet 5-7 people for one on one interviews from future peers, senior people and HR. Basic questions for cultural fit and technical skills. Second interview several weeks later expect to make a presentation to a group of people. Panel interview with 4- 6 people and interview with hiring manager

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle conflict resolution with a peer and develop a good working relationship when things have gone bad? How do you correct the situation? And, do you have to become friends again to work well together   Answer Question
    Very little negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Shift Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carleton, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Guardian Industries in May 2010.

Initial communications were a telephone pre-screen reviewing my application and resume' submitted. Interview process was day long event, meeting w/several managers and personnel involved in the hiring process at different points in the day. Also it included a tour of plant with walk/talk involved. Notes were taken by about half of the people conducting the interview, so that the notes could be compared at a later time.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any extremely difficult or unexpected questions, Guardian is looking less for technical knowledge and more for a cultural fit.   Answer Question
    Negotiate on both wages and vacation time. (of course, that was prior to Koch Industries buying into Guardian).

Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guardian Industries in December 2010.

When applying for coating engineer/scientist process was split into two parts: 1) interview at the local site you would support; 2) technical interview with science and technology center staff (located in Michigan - may be an extended phone interview).

Interview Questions
    • Questions regarding work/life balance.   View Answer
    Straightforward. Salary was within expected range and benefits are quite good.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carleton, MI

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Guardian Industries in July 2013.

Hiring process was smooth. All technical people accept one took the individual interviews.
    I was contacted by an outside recruiter who explained the hiring process in detail.
    Guardian always make sure the candidate can perform without minimum or no training, can work long hours with pressure.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how do you fit for the position?   View Answer
    Reasonable and quick.

Regional InGlass Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Guardian Industries in April 2013.

Headhunter contacted me and walked me through the entire interview process, training me on how to respond to each question that would be asked. Pretty easy breezy. I had a phone interview, then a series of one-on-one interviews

They only budged on my relocation package - The usual is $3000-$5000

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Floreffe, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Floreffe, PA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Guardian Industries in April 2012.

The first interview was a one on one interview which took about 30 minutes and like any other interview consisted of basic first round questions. The second interview was an on site interview with several of the plant personnel and lasted about 6 hours. Finally, an offer was made and a background check and drug screen was necessary.