Guerrero Howe

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Staff Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Guerrero Howe.

Their HR Director got in touch with me to set up an interview and was very good with communication in finding a time that worked for me. I think there were at least 5 or 6 emails exchanged before I came in for my interview and she was very good about responding in a timely fashion. I was interviewed by two managing editors of two of their magazines. They were both nice and engaging. They asked a few standard questions, but a few of their questions also caught me a little off guard, as any good interviewer should do. Overall, I thought the interview went really well and I left the office feeling good about the experience.

Unfortunately, everything after that went downhill. My interview was held on a Friday. When it was finished, they told me there would only be one round of interviews and they would make a decision by the middle of the upcoming week. I didn't receive any word from them that entire next week. By the Wednesday of the week after that, I still hadn't heard from them, so I decided to call. I spoke with the HR Director who set me up with the interview at the beginning. She told me they had still not made a decision yet and that they had been very busy the past week because they were moving offices -- from their nice office on Michigan Ave. to somewhere in the River West area. This made me slightly wary, but I didn't think much of it. She told me they would probably be bringing people in again to talk with upper management and asked for my availability. Note, this is contradictory to what I was told before -- that there would only be one round of interviews. I told her I would be able to come in at pretty much any time. I then received an email from her about a half hour later asking me if I could come in the following day for another interview. Being relieved that this was finally starting to go somewhere again, I happily said yes. She then sent me a confirmation email for the interview.

Then another email came. This one about two hours later. It read: "I apologize. I’ve been disconnected from the recruitment for this position over the past weeks and just learned that the position was filled. I would still like to keep you in mind for future positions, and I’m very sorry."

I don't think describing my surprise by this is necessary, but it left me pretty stunned to say the least. In response to me asking how this happened, she responded:

"I actually hire for sales and account management positions, which is why I didn't meet with you when you were interviewed during the first round. I'm sorry the Creative hiring manager did not inform you that the position had been filled, but I can assure you that you were absolutely considered in the first round. I'm sorry that you had an unfortunate experience with the company, and that the position did not work out this time around, but we will keep you in mind for future openings. I wish you the best of luck."

We all make mistakes, right? I'm a pretty understanding individual, and I don't hold a grudge against them or anything, but my experience may have displayed the level of the professional environment at this company. Though I thought the prospect of working there seemed exciting and fun after my interview, I have taken their lack of communication and my not being hired as a blessing in disguise. Perhaps this was a one-time error at a time when they are moving offices and things just got mixed up. And let's be honest, with the job market right now, putting up with things like this come with the territory. I just thought this experience should be shared with anyone who is taking a look at this company.

Interview Questions
  • I don't remember the specific wording, but it something along the lines of what their CEO's mission of attacking things in an ambiguous manner meant to me.   View Answer