Guggenheim Museum

Updated Dec 6, 2014
Updated Dec 6, 2014

2.9

Summer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Guggenheim Museum.

I submitted an application after seeing the listing on the museum website. I was asked to do an in-person or phone interview. I had to choose phone. We had a brief conversation, in which I was asked, roughly, why I wanted to work there, what my background was in the field, and so forth. My supervisors described the project I would be working on and asked if it interested me and if I thought I could do the work. The interview felt informal and friendly. I was somewhat surprised to be hired.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about my own research, which was something of a surprise, and about which professors I would be working with.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Guggenheim Museum.

I was very surprised when the Guggenheim called me for an interview: it is almost impossible to get an internship at this organization. The interviewer was extremely polite and courteous. Firstly, she asked me about my interest in the institution. Secondly, how my experience matched the position. Thirdly, she asked about my motivations. We instantly felt that we were a great mach!

Interview Questions
    • Why the Guggenheim, and not another art museum in New York?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Guggenheim Museum.

Interviewed with the manager and director. Really casual and open. Be yourself!

Interview Questions
    • Asked about my knowledge of the art world and why I want to work for the museum.   Answer Question
    NO negotiation.

Senior Manager of Youth, Community and Family Programs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guggenheim Museum in June 2013.

I applied for this position online via the museum website. I then had a phone interview with the HR manager, and then a follow-up panel interview with the position supervisor and the senior manager of the museum's school programs. I was informed during the interview that if I made it to the final round, I would also be asked to deliver an observed exhibition tour.

Interview Questions
    • The questions seemed pretty straightforward and relevant to the position: there were no Google brainteasers in the mix.   Answer Question

Associate Managing Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Guggenheim Museum in April 2013.

Called first by HR recruiter, then scheduled appointment to meet with Associate Director of Publications.

External Affairs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Guggenheim Museum in April 2013.

The team was very well versed in my resume, and had extremely tailored questions. It was great seeing that they study the candidate as much as we do the team. Application required a writing sample and several short answer questions.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Guggenheim Museum in March 2013.

Submitted application for Summer 2013 in January. Didn't hear anything until March, so I assumed I didn't have it. Got an email asking to schedule a phone interview within the next week. Did the phone interview, and got an offer the next day. I was located out of the New York area at the time, but I know other interns had to go and interview at the office.

Interview Questions
    • What's your favorite exhibition the Guggenheim's put on in the last 10 years and why?   View Answer

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Guggenheim Museum in January 2011.

I applied online. HR called to conduct a telephone screener. Was aggressive about desired salary (after deflecting several times, I was forced to give a range). I then received a multi-page skills test, which I had two days to complete. Evidently I passed, so I went in for a half-day interview, meeting 5-6 people: HR, the hiring manager, hiring manager's supervisor, and a panel interview with people in related departments. I also had to submit a paper application, noting previous experience, pay, and references. Mostly everyone was congenial, although it was hard to remember what I discussed with each person to customize each thank-you letter.

Education Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Guggenheim Museum in March 2009.

Application is the most intense part- essays, teacher recs, etc. The interview was a 15 minute phone conversation basically asking me to describe parts of my resume in further detail.

Interview Questions
    • What experiences have you had with curriculum development?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Guggenheim Museum.

Received an email from the department admin to set up an interview for the next week. I was offered the internship by the end of the following week. The interview was done via skype with the admin and her manager. It was very relaxed, it was like talking to old friends. They value diversity of experience and a passion for the arts, as opposed to a generic resume that lists internship after internship.

Interview Questions
    • The function of social media in a museum education department.   Answer Question