Guidance Software

Relevance Date Difficulty

Forensic Consultant Interview

Forensic Consultant
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Guidance Software in February 2011.

Interview Details – One phone and 1:1 personal interview.

Interview Question – Amount of travel on short notice   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted no negotiation necessary

Federal Marketing Planner Interview

Federal Marketing Planner

Interviewed at Guidance Software

Interview Details – Was impressed the the Sr Recruiter acutally found my resume on Monster and reached out to me requesting an interview or recommendation from my field

Interview Question – I always struggle with the tell me about yourself question to start an interview.   View Answers (2)

Sales Consultant/Sales Engineer Interview

Sales Consultant/Sales Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Guidance Software in May 2013.

Interview Details – Had several interviews that went extremely well and was told I was a leading candidate. When I discovered all the negative reviews on Glassdoor and started inquiring about them and asking the company's view (a simple "how do you respond to all this negativity, and do you think it is valid?")... the interviews stopped, even though HR rep insisted they were still interested the lead went completely cold.

Commission split being offered was EXTREMELY high risk for an SE (what they call a Sales Consultant)... only company I've ever encountered that expects an SE to carry a 60/40 commission split. Folks I interviewed with indicated quota achievement was only in 80-90% range and they seemed "ok" with that. Tons of red flags.

Interview Question – Questions were minimally technical... they seemed more interested in sales ability.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

Interviewed at Guidance Software

Interview Details – The initial phone interview was about 20 min long, I was being asked several technical questions as well as my past experiences and current projects. Afterward, the interviewer said I passed the phone screen and someone would contact me shortly regarding my second interview. However, I did not hear any feedback from them. I contacted the recruiter directly and was told that I did not pass the phone interview. I was puzzled and asked for more detail, but it seems like they have already made the decision so I didn't bother.

Interview Question – None, straightforward technical questions   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Associate Consultant
Pasadena, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Guidance Software in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied on my university's website and HR emailed me back for a phone screen. Phone screen went well and I also completed a code problem and email that in. I than had an in-person interview with HR, Hiring manager, Technical interview and an interview with the VP. Technical interview had the standard OOP questions and a white board coding changed: I had to Write a method to convert a numeric value of an excel column to its letter value. Example column 28 is AB. Would have been nice to get a glass of water or use the bathroom between/during the interviews but everyone was in a super hurry tight schedule.

Interview Question – Write a method to convert a numeric value of an excel column to its letter value. Example column 28 is AB.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Associate Consultant
Pasadena, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Guidance Software in May 2012.

Interview Details – There were a total of 3 interview, but there were supposed to be 4. First there was an information / personality interview. The lady I spoke with was very nice and helpful and told me a bit of what to expect for the next interview. From here I was given a small coding assignment that I was expected to do relatively quickly. The assignment took no more than a few hours. Next was a technical interview that took place the following day. After finding out I had made it to the next stage, I was flown out to Pasadena to do two 1:1 interviews. One with the R&D Director and one with the Vice President. Sadly, the VP had flown out and I was not able to interview with her as well. The questions in the technical interviews were not very hard. They knew I was just out of college and were just trying to get an understanding of what I knew. That would also be the reason the interviewing process took so long. The hotel was nice and all reasonable expenses are reimbursed (transportation, food, etc).

Interview Question – What is database normalization? What is denormalization?   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Pasadena, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Guidance Software in May 2011.

Interview Details – i sumbitted my resume online. The HR person contacted me to sechedule a phone interivew with the highering manager. Once i competed the phone interview with the highering manager, i was asked to go through a 2nd phone interview with a technical person.

Both gentlemen were professional during the interviews and the questions were relative to the position that i applied for.

Interview Question – there was no unexpected questions and they were all relative to the position   Answer Question

Senior Support Engineer Interview

Senior Support Engineer
San Mateo, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Guidance Software in April 2011.

Interview Details – Referred to company by friend. Interviewed with 4 - 5 people overall, starting with HR. Also took a skills test. Overall process took almost three months because the "right" person was not available due to scheduling problem like vacation. Not communication from HR as to the overall process and expected timeframe to reach completion.

Interview Question – How do you deal with difficult customers or when you have to tell the customer "no"?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation. Company know what I wanted and they gave it to me.

Professional Services Support Engineer Interview

Professional Services Support Engineer
Pasadena, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Guidance Software in March 2011.

Interview Details – This has been an interesting process.
I was contacted by a recruiter via email with a job description. I guess she found my resume somewhere on-line. I responded by including a more recent version of my resume.
Immediately (within 5 minutes) of sending my reply, the recruiter called me back.
We chatted for 20 minutes. She followed up the phone call by sending an HR questionnaire that I had to fill out and send back. The questionnaire had questions like - Describe a project you worked on that you had to use an OOP language. There was like 9 of those questions...took almost 4 hours for me to fill out.
I sent it in.
The following day, the recruiter followed up with me and setup a phone screen for that same day!!!
These guys were desperate to get me in for an interview (or so it seemed like the were moving fast).

Okay, so later that day I had the interviewer call me.
First he asked me about my background and then we jumped into the good stuff:
- Describe polymorphism in Java or C++ and give an example.
- Describe the differences of C++ and Java, focus on how they differ in memory management.
- How does C++ differ from Java in the compilation process. Describe how both of them work.
Data Structures Questions - hashes, bsts, etc...
Database Questions - what is indexing used for?
What is the optimal number of threads you should spawn to determine with a number is prime? (this is a very very very large number).
What is a semaphore? Example of one in practice.
What 257 in hex? (no calculator) Describe how you got it.

So I passed the phone screen. Next, they sent me this take home code test. (Check it out).
They said I could use any language I wanted to solve this. I did using Java.
Used a hash table for my data structure.

Code Challenge
------------------------------------------
Implement a command console for changing settings on a particular object. The command console should allow you to enter a string and will return the response (very similar to a terminal session). The commands are as follows:

SET propertyname=newvalue will change the target object’s member named “propertyname” to have a value equal to “newvalue”. If the input value is incompatible (i.e. an int being set to a string), print out an appropriate error message.

GET propertyname will print out the current value of the target object’s member named “propertyname”.

GET * will print out a list of all target object members and their current values.

The system should be extensible for future commands and should accept an arbitrary object, such that another developer could insert another object into the system and rely on the command console to get and set the properties correctly.

So, I sent it in...I'm still waiting to hear back from them. (fingers crossed)

Developer Interview

Developer
Pasadena, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Guidance Software in February 2009.

Interview Details – I first applied for a different position. The HR person was impressed enough with me to set me up for a second interview. This was a phone interview with some basic questions.

Next I was asked to write and submit a program using a language of my choice.

Finally I was brought in for the panel interview but did not receive an offer. Each stage of the interview was handled in a very professional manner. Also the HR person was very supportive.

Interview Question – Show how to write a program that creates a linked list from a set of data. Where the data first has an indication of how many bytes follow it.   View Answer

Worked for Guidance Software? Contribute to the Community!