GuideSpark

Updated Dec 5, 2014

3.1

Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GuideSpark.

I've been on both sides of the interview process of GuideSpark, so hopefully I can shed more light on the experience. It's usually a phone screening from a recruiter, then a phone interview with the hiring manager for that team, along with a writing sample and writing test. If they like your sample and test, and the manager feels generally positive about your interview, you'll do a 3-4 hour interview in-house with several team members. Unless they've changed this process, you'll interview way more people than necessary. It's usually 4 members of the team, then the manager, then the director, and, if they like you, the VP. They're mostly looking for "cultural fit," which is Silicon Valley code for stellar work ethic, team-mindedness, and fun personality.

In many of the interviews I conducted with candidates, I found that my interview partner(s) would oversell the company, while also tediously grilling candidates that are already more qualified for the job than they need to be. So my advice is don't be afraid to ask the tough questions. Remember that you're interviewing them, too. I say this because many employees are shell-shocked at the high demand of their time once they come in, and many of them are also initially frustrated with using software in ways it was never intended, with using outdated processes, and with being forced into a mechanized form of labor (in other words, a lot less creativity than you'd probably like). So don't be afraid ask about their work process, their creative license, and the hours they'll expect of you. Ask the team members you interview what was their WORST experience at GuideSpark. (oh, and ask to see a demo of the backend of their platform.)

Saying all of that, it's honestly a good company that tries to foster a healthy work environment. It fails at the little things, but overall most people are generally satisfied if not happy.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the questions my colleagues asked that made me cringe:
      If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
      What's your spirit animal?

In addition:
      Be prepared to speak articulately about your writing and research process.
      Be prepared also to give direct examples of successful team experiences, as well as lessons learned from negative work experiences.

One favorite question frequently asked:
      What makes you angry? (translation: what frustrates you on the job?)

Answer Question
    No negotiation. They offered me a salary within my expected range, not really disclosing how much work I would end up doing outside the role described in the job req.

Writing Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GuideSpark.

Phone screening, then an online assessment based on the required skills, then a phone interview, then a round of interviews with potential coworkers and supervisors at the office. Mostly behavioral questions, but make sure to be able to describe the position back to them and have watched some of their videos.
    Staff was all very nice, but could do a better job of letting candidates know what's going on (hard to get enough from their answers without feeling bothersome with questions).

All contact (other than interviews) was done in email, which I was thankful for (hate waiting by the phone and playing phone tag).

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GuideSpark in August 2014.

I had an extremely pleasant experience with their interview process. The recruiting team was very prompt in letting me know about updates and was responsive to my questions. The hiring managers I spoke to were all very careful about making sure I would be a good fit for the role and the company.

Here is what the process looked like:
    1. Phone Screen
    2. Assessment test (36 hours to complete)
    3. Phone interview with two hiring managers
    4. Onsite (~3 to 4 hours)

Interview Questions

I declined because I had another offer for a position that was better fit for my career goals, but I really liked talking to everyone in this team. It's very clear that the employees at Guidespark are passionate about the product and are just generally super nice and passionate people.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GuideSpark.

There were 3 interviews, and the entire process took over 2 months. It was very slow. On the flip side, the hiring manager was very responsive to my emails and inquiries.

Interview Questions
    I was given 3 days to accept the offer, and the negotiation went quickly.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GuideSpark in April 2014.

After submitting my application for the position, a few days later I was emailed from the HR Coordinator asking to set up a time for a phone screening with their in-house recruiter. I had a phone screening with the recruiter a few days later at a time convenient for me, which was successful, and I then had a phone interview a few days later with a senior member of my team. This was also successful, so then the HR Coordinator contacted me and set up a time for face-to-face interviews. When I came in for the first round of interviews, I had 4 x 30 minute interviews with each member of the marketing team, plus a sales team member. One or two days later I was advised that they would like me to come in for some secondary interviews, including a meeting with the CEO and that I could join them for their WINs meeting which was great. On this day I met another member of the marketing team, plus another VP, the CEO and had another catch up with the VP of Marketing. Following the WINs meeting, I was offered the job and asked to start the following week. So the process moves quickly if you are who they want!

Interview Questions
    • I got stumped on the question "In your last performance review at your previous job, what were the things they asked you to improve on" (or something similar to that). Pretty simple question, but I blanked, so I would recommend you think that through beforehand.   Answer Question

Content Production Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GuideSpark in April 2014.

I was sent an e-mail to schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was asked to take an assessment test for the position. I was given 36 hours to finish the test. I haven't heard from them since I sent the answers to my test and following up.

Interview Questions
    • I guess the assessment test was challenging, but it was required. I think it is also for the applicant to have a feel of the position. I enjoyed the assessment test.   View Answer

QC Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GuideSpark.

I received an email requesting availability for a phone screen one week after applying online. After I responded, I didn't receive any confirmation or response whatsoever until two weeks after informing me that they had already filled the position with someone further along in the job process.

Content Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at GuideSpark in August 2013.

I initially found the job posting through a job board, and applied through the company website. I received a reply about two weeks later, and was a scheduled for a phone interview. I spoke with one of the members of their design team for about thirty minutes. They then had me take a skills/assessment test to make sure I had the appropriate software knowledge. After the first couple weeks, communication from the hiring manager/company became little to non-existant. I eventually received an email request to schedule an in person interview. We set up a date for the interview, but shortly before they rescheduled because a team member left for vacation. Never heard from Guidespark again.

Interview Questions
    • As part of the interview process, they have you take a skills/assessment test. The test I took comprised of numerous questions about Adobe Photoshop. The questions seemed outdated though - the UI screenshots and menu questions seemed to be from about 5-7 years ago.   Answer Question