Guidewire

3.7

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in March 2013.

Right from the beginning Guidewire made it clear about their interview process and was prompt in scheduling, giving feedback and going for the next round. It became very clear from the beginning that these guys were professional, intelligent and a fun set of people. The interviews were very open, enthusiastic and more like technical discussions. I have never given interviews like these - it was a pleasure and everyone was genuinely friendly. The face to face interview was with 3 people and each one of them made me feel comfortable and asked great questions. Clearly I had never had such fun in the interview process. Questions were on expected lines and it never felt that these guys were asking anything that would never be used on the job - very logical and practical questions around java and general language constructs. One of the most impressive things about Guidewire was that they are very thorough and detailed in scheduling, providing details and setting up everything along the process. Even after their offer, they went out of their way to set up all the required resources and sent emails with the details. The interview process is tough and lengthy, but once you get through you know that you will be working with brilliant people who themselves went through this process and this gives you that much more confidence.

Interview Questions
The offer was above what I was making [and I work in a bank which is known for great pay] and very good. I asked for a small change in the numbers with supporting documentation for the request. It was granted the next day and I was very happy at the end.

Other Interview Reviews for Guidewire

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Guidewire in January 2007.

A traditional recruiter contacted me having seen my resume online. I don't recall the specific order, but the interview process included the following steps. There was a phone screen (as expected), a coding/skills test, a single face-to-face interview involving a series of people, and a discussion with the VP of Services.

The code test was a problem emailed to me and then the entire solution was emailed back. I seem to recall the problem being language agnostic, but their software is in Java so I would expect a "winning" solution would be written in Java.

There was very little "hoop jumping" involved, to their credit. Each step felt like it served a purpose and was well thought out. It was challenging to get a firm handle on the exact kind of work their services arm endured on a day-to-day basis, but that could have been my inexperience not leading me to ask the right questions.

The "hiring" process extends past the welcome letter with Guidewire. A successful new employee is flown out to San Mateo and then is expected to pass a two-week "certification" process on their platform. If a candidate is not able to demonstrate competency after that time, the employment relationship is severed. This is not just talk; there have been multiple people who made it past the interview process, but are then dismissed afterward. That indicates the interview process needs to be tightened up, but also demonstrates the commitment Guidewire has to only employing competent workers (by and large).

Interview Questions
    • How would you paginate an extremely large dataset in the app-server?   Answer Question
    The compensation seemed fair and at market value considering the amount of travel and adverse working conditions for the job. Thus, I did not negotiate beyond asking to be considered for the "senior" position by the same name.

Integration Architect Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in March 2010.

1st round phone: a person asked some java technical questions taking about 1 hour
    2nd round code test: 3 test questions were sent to your email for you to code withini 4 hours.
    3rd round phone: another integration architect asked some more technical questions.
    4th round phone: the chief tech architect called me to ask some more architectural questions which I didn't do well