Guidewire Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2014
Updated Sep 4, 2014

3.3

Implementation Architect and Middleware Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Guidewire.

This was the initial screening interview with an HR person.
    To begin with I found this recruiter, Allison Boyce, was extremely judgmental and not at all qualified to interview a senior level architect. She went overboard crossing the scope and the requirements of the job. Her interpretation of the job description was very skewed. It looked like she had already made up her mind, but was simply filling the quota of the persons she had to interview to keep her contract.
    She tried to give her conclusion right in the beginning simply by looking at just the current position.
    She perhaps did not even care to look at the previous experiences for the last 10-15 years.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not really difficult but out of scope.
      The recruiter the candidate to be a programmer as well as a stereotype manager.
        View Answer

Tax Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Guidewire.

I applied and got an email to schedule a phone interview within a few days. The HR person called me 40 minutes late and did not seem at all interested in my responses. It felt like she was just moving throughout the candidates as fast as possible and the entire phone call was less than 5 minutes. Did not get responses after that, but that short phone call was really off-putting.

Interview Questions
    • Typical phone screening - Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Software Engineer Internship Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Guidewire.

The interview consisted of a few very easy programming questions. More concretely one of them was, given a string count the frequency of characters in a string. Two, given a file directory list all the files in the directory, including those that are in folders inside the directory. The rest of the interview was just talking.

Wanted other company

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  UC Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Guidewire in February 2014.

Applied through a career fair and had a first round interview on-campus. The first round consisted of simple questions involving knowledge of hash functions, graph traversals, and classic java syntax. These guys were so friendly, I was interviewed with two engineers at the same time. Both of them were very nice interesting people.

Interview Questions
    • Given a root directory, return all the sub files of this root directory. Note, a file can be a directory with more sub files or a data file which has no sub files.   View Answer

I haven't declined yet, the offer is definitely much higher than the average intern position placed on glassdoor. Only reason I chose this option is because glassdoor doesn't have a "Received Offer, not sure yet".

Technical Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Guidewire.

HR interview > hiring manager interview > technical interview/activity > in-person presentation/interview. must be good at OO programming. this is the most "technical" sales consultant job ever, it is almost a programming job more than a sales job

Director-Finance_Accounting Role Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Guidewire.

Applied via LinkedIn, was contacted went through 1 week of interview via phone with recruitment. Then was coordinating to schedule an on-site with the hiring manager. Recruitment calls back 3 days later to tell me not interested, no reason why the change and get an email rejection. Avoid if in Finance or Accounting

Sales Operatoins Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Guidewire.

Initially contacted by a recruiter. I had a "discussion" (phone interview) with her to begin with, then went into the office for my interview. I met with three people during the interview. The interview process was very straightforward.

The offer was extended via the recruiter. The recruiter explained everything to me very well. I was pleased with the offer.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Guidewire in November 2013.

Had a series of conversations with a recruiter, first they steered me toward a role I didn't apply to I agreed to talk to the HM about it even though it wasn't what I was looking for. The recruiter then failed to follow up in the timeframe they said they would (thus I moved on assuming I wasn't a fit). After four weeks, they reached out again trying to set up interview for different role (which they did not clarify, I had to ask what role they were trying to set up an interview for), after having the role clarified, I again agreed to chat with the HM, but again, there was no follow up.

I'm really surprised and turned off by the flaky communication, especially for a highly lauded company such as Guidewire. Why are you reaching out to candidates, initiating conversations, just to disappear - even if a candidate is not a fit, the role got filled, etc, simply communicate that, especially when you initiated contact.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be interested in a phone screen with "so and so"?   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Foster City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Guidewire in October 2013.

I was an internal referral and was fast tracked. I spoke to 5 people, of whom there was one Platform Program Manager and others were Product Managers, including one Director.

I was quite surprised that barring one of the guys, none... yes, none of them had actually read my resume in any sort of detail. That was pretty off putting.

Interview Questions
    • How do you incorporate time zones into a system that didn't have it in the past?   View Answer

Although my internal contact spoke highly of GuideWire, I was less than impressed with my interviewers. However, I was given to understand that they had both a major release heading out of the door as well as some conference.

Manager Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Foster City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Guidewire in July 2013.

ad-hoc. I was under the impression that they would further entertain you if you passed the first 10 minutes

Interview Questions

Worked for Guidewire? Contribute to the Community!