Guidewire Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

3.2

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

It started with a call from HR which included basic interest questions and job description. After that I got a call from the program head with technical questions. Last step was on site interview which included four half an hour interviews with employeers from different departments.

Interview Questions

• They don't expect specific answers but your ability to answer with the best you can. All of them were very friendly to talk to. Questions were related to the requirements in the job description. nothing out of that. They ask straight to the point, which is good.   1 Answer

Devops Manager - Infrastructure Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was typical. I submitted my resume and received a phone call from a recruiter. I then interviewed with the hiring manager over the phone. Next step was to interview with 5-6 employees and then finished up with the recruiter

Interview Questions

• What's your experience? How would solve this storage issue? How would you solve this request that is impossible to solve?   Answer Question

Senior Java Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire (Exton, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

I had several rounds of technical interviews starting with a technical telephonic conversation followed by a webex hands on technical interview. After this i was called for a in person interview which again comprised of four rounds with 8 different people who were technically super smart. The idea is that you are not expected to know or answer correctly to every single question but they look at how you attempt to solve a problem.

Technical Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

2-3 Phone Interviews. First was about me, second was go download their programming language Gosu and build something with it then do a code review, 3rd was a onsite presentation and demo of a software application of your choice. During the presentation it was helpful that I brought all my own equipment to get onto the internet and projector to show. (They had the equipment but commented how other applicants couldn't seem to get it up and running.)

Interview Questions

• Demonstrate that you can sell software.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got the first phone interview invitation 3 or 4 days later. The first round is about basic Java knowledge. The second round phone interview needs access to internet. The interviewer will send a link to your email. It is like coderpad. I was asked to do some coding. Both interviewers are pretty nice. The pace is quick. When you got the point, he moves to the next question.

Interview Questions

• Basic Java interview questions. Like how does HashMap deal with collision?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview

Applied at the career fair, and was had to do a relatively simple coding challenge on the back of my resume, which I completed. Was later emailed that they'd like to interview me on campus. After chatting for a bit, the two engineers interviewing me had me do a couple coding problems on a computer that all built off of each other. I solved all of them, perhaps taking a bit longer on the last one than I should have. I was later emailed that I had positive reviews from my interview and they were still deciding. The next week they emailed me that they couldn't offer me a position, but they encouraged me to apply again and had added my name to people they were interested in for the future. Being a sophomore, I can't have too many complaints.

Interview Questions

• First writing a method that generated license plate numbers by taking certain formatted strings and converting certain numbers into letters. Next, a method that used that method to check if certain strings were valid license plates. Finally, writing a method that generated all possible correctly formatted license plates. Was also asked about hypothetical ways to improve solutions although they told me not to worry too much about efficiency.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview

Applied online and got a call from the recruiter after a week. The recruiter asked about a few technical questions that were straight out of the book. No problems there as the recruiter was keen on understanding whether I could code or not. I was scheduled for a phone screen. That was it!

Interview Questions

• Given a list L1(L11, L12)->L2->L3(L31, L32)->L4. (L1->L2 means that L1 is the parent and L2 is the child. L1(L11, L12) means that the nodes are adjoined). Flatten the list at the same level. Collabedit interview.   Answer Question

Sales Demo Team Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire in February 2015.

Interview

Basically the attitude was "take this exam first, then we will talk" which I found somewhat pretentious, but I accepted since they tried to convince me that it is a "cool" place to work. I did some research and it seems like they are post-startup and have various videos and images of a relaxed work environment, but I guess I was turned off after two failed schedule exam invitations. It seems they had a change in coordinator, emails to/from different people, etc so the impression I got was that they are disorganized and they still would not speak to me until I took this exam. So after 2 weeks, they finally sent me the exam and it was a basic Java exam around sorting, data definition/model, etc and basically write up code within 2 hours. I could understand having someone take an exam if they are college hires, junior positions, etc but someone with a senior role will find this almost insulting; plus this is for a SALES DEMO position, so it should be more customization than raw coding. Granted you do not want to waste time bringing in people who are NOT technical, but I think any senior engineer does not feel like taking a test unless there is a certification or money exchanged afterwards. You could easily have a conversation and gauge a person's skill level, but it seems they are too "busy" to talk to people and instead have them take a test to help weed out non-engineers. In reality I was just curious because I did not know what to expect, since I have only taken an exam once in my life during a job interview and now in BOTH cases I walked away. I basically closed the empty exam and politely thanked them for their time, but I think any company that bases their hiring practices on an exam without speaking to you are setting themselves up for failure because they will only hire the same "type" of people every time. Anyway, I am actually somewhat grateful, because it just helped me affirm that I do not want to be in coding-only environment at this point in my career since I do more than just crank out code. My only advice would be for them to clearly state in ANY and ALL job descriptions whether or not an exam has to be taken beforehand as this might help both parties avoid wasting any time and will force them to rethink their hiring practices.

Interview Questions

• This is a "cool" place to work. You seem like a good fit. How about you take an exam?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Guidewire (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I had a coding challenge that I had to complete (no time frame) correctly upon which I was informed that I will be having a 30 minutes skype interview. The interviewer was very kind and asked me about my solution to the coding problem and asked me a couple of data structures questions like speak about their implementation.

Solution Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire (Exton, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

i had applied online for the position. Got a call from the recruiter, had a coding test and then a technical interview over the phone. Final interview was in person held at the office location in Exton. Very nice and meaningful interaction with everyone throughout the process. Everyone was very pleasant to talk to and encouraging. Got an offer few days after the final round. Accepted it.

Interview Questions

• questions on Java, SQL, database. There were couple of problems for coding in the final round. All the questions were fair, that could be answered with prior self study.   Answer Question