Guidewire

Updated Jan 19, 2015
Updated Jan 19, 2015

3.2

Data Scientist Interview

Applied through their website after seeing the job opening in the online portal. Next I received a phone call for an initial phone discussion. Initial phone screening was mostly related to standard statistical questions. Questions in Principle component analysis, hypothesis testing, dimensionality reduction, regression analysis. Expectation was to know all technical jargons by-heart. No chance were given to explain my work experience. They were looking for candidates with a formal statistical education.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly standard statistical questions related to the business. They were looking for candidates with formal statistics education, not just work experience   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire.

I applied via career fair, and got contacted for a phone interview after about a week. The interview lasted half an hour. The interviewer started with a introduction of the company, and then went through the resume pretty quickly. I got a few detailed questions about the Java language, and a small puzzle around the end. The interviewer is very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between abstract class and interface   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Guidewire.

Got a phone interview, most of the questions are core java related. Did well, but not selected. Interviewer was so humble and greeted well. Explained the company policies and focus and also working environment.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Guidewire in November 2014.

I applied through linkedIn.I got phone interview call after 10 days I applied.The interviewer asked me basic java and data structure questions,one puzzle.The interview process is very fast and very friendly.

Senior Technical Writer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Guidewire in November 2014.

I applied online. A recruiter replied quickly and set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. At the end of that phone interview, the manager asked me to send writing samples to the recruiter. When I tried, my message bounced, so I tried to submit them through the online-application web site. This seemed to work, but to be sure, I left voicemail for the recruiter, telling her what I had done and asking her to verify that she had received my samples. That was months ago. I never heard from the recruiter or anyone else at Guidewire again.

Sales Enablement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire.

Fantastically choreographed and very thorough. Everyone was upbeat, straightforward and well prepared when they spoke with me. I had a variety of phone interviews, 1 serious day of face to face interviews and was required to present a case study to the team on how I would tackle their burning issues. I had numerous opportunities to ask questions in preparation for the presentation.

Then, right before I was given an offer, they scheduled one more call with my hiring manager to make sure we were both on the same page and they hadn't over sold or undersold the opportunity. I was able to be very very candid about what type of management style and project mix would give them the most value from me, and they could be totally candid about shifts in the group's charter that might change what projects were available to me.

The whole process was conducted with incredible integrity and transparency, which is, I found out, how people at Guidewire operate all the time. I kept expecting there to be some drama- some set back, some head count lost or title changed or salary switched. Never happened. Just a thorough, straightforward, well conducted process. Everything they said they would do, they did. No one ever disappeared or left me hanging or didn't get back to me. And I have discovered since starting that I am not alone in this experience.

Interview Questions
    • It was a variation on "what would you do in the first 90 days of your job?" but it was framed like "what would you recommend we do to address this issue we're facing?".   Answer Question
    It was very straightforward. I did not play games and they did not play games.

Technical Consultant North America Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire.

The process is so fast, but multiple steps.

1) Recruiter interview.: We just talk about experience (15 min)

2) Technical interview.: Almost 2 hours of Java question: OOP concepts, tier architecture, ant, jms, sql, xml, Junit.

3) Technical test.- 3 hours, for 4 exercises: SQL, JMS, XML, code errors detection

4) Face to face interview.: 3 Individual interviews (manager, product specialist and director) nothing technical, just talk about experience, and how to resolve conflicts in the field.

Two days after the face to face interviews, I got a call from recruiter, told me she was working in the offer.

They are looking for people that really want to stay in the company for long time.

I had experience in the GW products. I had been working with some GW employees. The interviewers have called every one that I know from GW and they have asked for my performance.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example how would you use ¨volatile¨ in a singleton   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

The head of recruiting was really friendly and replied promptly. They gave me a coding challenge for a "boggle game" in Java. I didn't know java, but I knew Python and tried my best. Then, I was given a video/phone interview.

Implementation Architect and Middleware Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Guidewire.

This was the initial screening interview with an HR person.
    To begin with I found this recruiter, Allison Boyce, was extremely judgmental and not at all qualified to interview a senior level architect. She went overboard crossing the scope and the requirements of the job. Her interpretation of the job description was very skewed. It looked like she had already made up her mind, but was simply filling the quota of the persons she had to interview to keep her contract.
    She tried to give her conclusion right in the beginning simply by looking at just the current position.
    She perhaps did not even care to look at the previous experiences for the last 10-15 years.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not really difficult but out of scope.
      The recruiter the candidate to be a programmer as well as a stereotype manager.

View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Guidewire in September 2014.

it was little weird interview, interviewer asked tell me about yourself then he cut me off halfway which was not more than 30 seconds, then is said he does not have time for technical interview so he lets start technical interview.

1) he asked how you design chess game. I identified all the related class like
    Player, game, pieces, board etc
    2) which hashing technique is best?
    I told they are three
    1) linear probing
    2)Quadratic probing
    3)Double hashing.

We had discussion on each of the technique and pros and cons.

I got email after couple of days that I was not cleared. Glad anyway I offered in other company who gave more than guidewire compensation discussion with HR