Guidewire

91 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tax Interview

Tax

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview Details – I applied and got an email to schedule a phone interview within a few days. The HR person called me 40 minutes late and did not seem at all interested in my responses. It felt like she was just moving throughout the candidates as fast as possible and the entire phone call was less than 5 minutes. Did not get responses after that, but that short phone call was really off-putting.

Interview Question – Typical phone screening - Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager
Foster City, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Guidewire in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was an internal referral and was fast tracked. I spoke to 5 people, of whom there was one Platform Program Manager and others were Product Managers, including one Director.

I was quite surprised that barring one of the guys, none... yes, none of them had actually read my resume in any sort of detail. That was pretty off putting.

Interview Question – How do you incorporate time zones into a system that didn't have it in the past?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Although my internal contact spoke highly of GuideWire, I was less than impressed with my interviewers. However, I was given to understand that they had both a major release heading out of the door as well as some conference.

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer Internship Interview

Software Engineer Internship

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of a few very easy programming questions. More concretely one of them was, given a string count the frequency of characters in a string. Two, given a file directory list all the files in the directory, including those that are in folders inside the directory. The rest of the interview was just talking.

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Wanted other company

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Software Engineering Intern
UC Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Guidewire in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through a career fair and had a first round interview on-campus. The first round consisted of simple questions involving knowledge of hash functions, graph traversals, and classic java syntax. These guys were so friendly, I was interviewed with two engineers at the same time. Both of them were very nice interesting people.

Interview Question – Given a root directory, return all the sub files of this root directory. Note, a file can be a directory with more sub files or a data file which has no sub files.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I haven't declined yet, the offer is definitely much higher than the average intern position placed on glassdoor. Only reason I chose this option is because glassdoor doesn't have a "Received Offer, not sure yet".

Marketing Interview

Marketing
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Guidewire in November 2013.

Interview Details – Had a series of conversations with a recruiter, first they steered me toward a role I didn't apply to I agreed to talk to the HM about it even though it wasn't what I was looking for. The recruiter then failed to follow up in the timeframe they said they would (thus I moved on assuming I wasn't a fit). After four weeks, they reached out again trying to set up interview for different role (which they did not clarify, I had to ask what role they were trying to set up an interview for), after having the role clarified, I again agreed to chat with the HM, but again, there was no follow up.

I'm really surprised and turned off by the flaky communication, especially for a highly lauded company such as Guidewire. Why are you reaching out to candidates, initiating conversations, just to disappear - even if a candidate is not a fit, the role got filled, etc, simply communicate that, especially when you initiated contact.

Interview Question – Would you be interested in a phone screen with "so and so"?   Answer Question

Technical Sales Consultant Interview

Technical Sales Consultant

I applied online and interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview Details – HR interview > hiring manager interview > technical interview/activity > in-person presentation/interview. must be good at OO programming. this is the most "technical" sales consultant job ever, it is almost a programming job more than a sales job

Interview Question – write a GoSu program   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Director-Finance_Accounting Role Interview

Director-Finance_Accounting Role

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview Details – Applied via LinkedIn, was contacted went through 1 week of interview via phone with recruitment. Then was coordinating to schedule an on-site with the hiring manager. Recruitment calls back 3 days later to tell me not interested, no reason why the change and get an email rejection. Avoid if in Finance or Accounting

Interview Question – Trying to arrange on-site interview   Answer Question

Senior Curriculum Developer Interview

Senior Curriculum Developer
San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Guidewire in September 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter, by phone, while I was unemployed. This gave me hope. The recruiter gauged my interest and skills then referred my resume to the hiring manager. The hiring manager was pessimistic but evaluated my skills and invited me in for a face to face interview.

The f2f was grueling: I spoke with six people over four hours, was asked to take a software test, and generally put through the wringer. The people were interesting and friendly though.

I didn't hear from them for several weeks. Then suddenly the recruiter called me with an offer, which I accepted without attempting to negotiate.

Interview Question – Why aren't you employed?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't try.

Sales Operatoins Interview

Sales Operatoins

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview Details – Initially contacted by a recruiter. I had a "discussion" (phone interview) with her to begin with, then went into the office for my interview. I met with three people during the interview. The interview process was very straightforward.

Negotiation Details – The offer was extended via the recruiter. The recruiter explained everything to me very well. I was pleased with the offer.

Sales Enablement Interview

Sales Enablement
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Guidewire in July 2012.

Interview Details – Very detailed process. I live in a different state than where the company is headquartered, so I had 4-5 hour-long phone interviews with various team members and other people I would interact with frequently. I then traveled to headquarters for 3 hours of in-person interviews, a casual interview over lunch, and an hour-long, in-character presentation based on a case study I was given the week prior. Overall, talked to my manager, her manager, three team members, and four other coworkers who I engage with frequently.

Interview Question – The case study presentation was the most difficult/highest pressure part. Every employee is given a case study that is appropriate for their position (developers have to debug code, for example). They do this to see an example of your work, but also to see how you handle criticism and pressure. I received the case study on a Thursday evening, and presented the following Monday afternoon.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was done over the phone. Early in the process, I indicated what I was previously making. A few days after the in-person interview & case study presentation, the HR manager called with details of the offer. I was told that they try to make the best offer possible, and typically don't do a lot of negotiation. The offer was very good, and I accepted.

Worked for Guidewire? Contribute to the Community!