Guidewire Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got the first phone interview invitation 3 or 4 days later. The first round is about basic Java knowledge. The second round phone interview needs access to internet. The interviewer will send a link to your email. It is like coderpad. I was asked to do some coding. Both interviewers are pretty nice. The pace is quick. When you got the point, he moves to the next question.

Interview Questions

• Basic Java interview questions. Like how does HashMap deal with collision?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview

Applied at the career fair, and was had to do a relatively simple coding challenge on the back of my resume, which I completed. Was later emailed that they'd like to interview me on campus. After chatting for a bit, the two engineers interviewing me had me do a couple coding problems on a computer that all built off of each other. I solved all of them, perhaps taking a bit longer on the last one than I should have. I was later emailed that I had positive reviews from my interview and they were still deciding. The next week they emailed me that they couldn't offer me a position, but they encouraged me to apply again and had added my name to people they were interested in for the future. Being a sophomore, I can't have too many complaints.

Interview Questions

• First writing a method that generated license plate numbers by taking certain formatted strings and converting certain numbers into letters. Next, a method that used that method to check if certain strings were valid license plates. Finally, writing a method that generated all possible correctly formatted license plates. Was also asked about hypothetical ways to improve solutions although they told me not to worry too much about efficiency.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview

Applied online and got a call from the recruiter after a week. The recruiter asked about a few technical questions that were straight out of the book. No problems there as the recruiter was keen on understanding whether I could code or not. I was scheduled for a phone screen. That was it!

Interview Questions

• Given a list L1(L11, L12)->L2->L3(L31, L32)->L4. (L1->L2 means that L1 is the parent and L2 is the child. L1(L11, L12) means that the nodes are adjoined). Flatten the list at the same level. Collabedit interview.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in February 2015.

Interview

Basically the attitude was "take this exam first, then we will talk" which I found somewhat pretentious, but I accepted since they tried to convince me that it is a "cool" place to work. I did some research and it seems like they are post-startup and have various videos and images of a relaxed work environment, but I guess I was turned off after two failed schedule exam invitations. It seems they had a change in coordinator, emails to/from different people, etc so the impression I got was that they are disorganized and they still would not speak to me until I took this exam. So after 2 weeks, they finally sent me the exam and it was a basic Java exam around sorting, data definition/model, etc and basically write up code within 2 hours.

I could understand having someone take an exam if they are college hires, junior positions, etc but someone with a senior role will find this almost insulting; plus this is for a SALES DEMO position, so it should be more customization than raw coding. Granted you do not want to waste time bringing in people who are NOT technical, but I think any senior engineer does not feel like taking a test unless there is a certification or money exchanged afterwards. You could easily have a conversation and gauge a person's skill level, but it seems they are too "busy" to talk to people and instead have them take a test to help weed out non-engineers. In reality I was just curious because I did not know what to expect, since I have only taken an exam once in my life during a job interview and now in BOTH cases I walked away.

I basically closed the empty exam and politely thanked them for their time, but I think any company that bases their hiring practices on an exam without speaking to you are setting themselves up for failure because they will only hire the same "type" of people every time. Anyway, I am actually somewhat grateful, because it just helped me affirm that I do not want to be in coding-only environment at this point in my career since I do more than just crank out code. My only advice would be for them to clearly state in ANY and ALL job descriptions whether or not an exam has to be taken beforehand as this might help both parties avoid wasting any time and will force them to rethink their hiring practices.

Interview Questions

• This is a "cool" place to work. You seem like a good fit. How about you take an exam?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Guidewire (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I had a coding challenge that I had to complete (no time frame) correctly upon which I was informed that I will be having a 30 minutes skype interview. The interviewer was very kind and asked me about my solution to the coding problem and asked me a couple of data structures questions like speak about their implementation.

Solution Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exton, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire (Exton, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

i had applied online for the position. Got a call from the recruiter, had a coding test and then a technical interview over the phone. Final interview was in person held at the office location in Exton. Very nice and meaningful interaction with everyone throughout the process. Everyone was very pleasant to talk to and encouraging. Got an offer few days after the final round. Accepted it.

Interview Questions

• questions on Java, SQL, database. There were couple of problems for coding in the final round. All the questions were fair, that could be answered with prior self study.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

Applied through their website after seeing the job opening in the online portal. Next I received a phone call for an initial phone discussion. Initial phone screening was mostly related to standard statistical questions. Questions in Principle component analysis, hypothesis testing, dimensionality reduction, regression analysis. Expectation was to know all technical jargons by-heart. No chance were given to explain my work experience. They were looking for candidates with a formal statistical education.

Interview Questions

• Mostly standard statistical questions related to the business. They were looking for candidates with formal statistics education, not just work experience   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire.

Interview

I applied via career fair, and got contacted for a phone interview after about a week. The interview lasted half an hour. The interviewer started with a introduction of the company, and then went through the resume pretty quickly. I got a few detailed questions about the Java language, and a small puzzle around the end. The interviewer is very friendly.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between abstract class and interface   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview

Got a phone interview, most of the questions are core java related. Did well, but not selected. Interviewer was so humble and greeted well. Explained the company policies and focus and also working environment.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Guidewire in November 2014.

Interview

I applied through linkedIn.I got phone interview call after 10 days I applied.The interviewer asked me basic java and data structure questions,one puzzle.The interview process is very fast and very friendly.