Guidewire Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014
91 interviews

3.3

Tax Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Guidewire.

I applied and got an email to schedule a phone interview within a few days. The HR person called me 40 minutes late and did not seem at all interested in my responses. It felt like she was just moving throughout the candidates as fast as possible and the entire phone call was less than 5 minutes. Did not get responses after that, but that short phone call was really off-putting.

Interview Questions
    • Typical phone screening - Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Foster City, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Guidewire in October 2013.

I was an internal referral and was fast tracked. I spoke to 5 people, of whom there was one Platform Program Manager and others were Product Managers, including one Director.

I was quite surprised that barring one of the guys, none... yes, none of them had actually read my resume in any sort of detail. That was pretty off putting.

Interview Questions
    • How do you incorporate time zones into a system that didn't have it in the past?   View Answer

Although my internal contact spoke highly of GuideWire, I was less than impressed with my interviewers. However, I was given to understand that they had both a major release heading out of the door as well as some conference.

Software Engineer Internship Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Guidewire.

The interview consisted of a few very easy programming questions. More concretely one of them was, given a string count the frequency of characters in a string. Two, given a file directory list all the files in the directory, including those that are in folders inside the directory. The rest of the interview was just talking.

Wanted other company

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  UC Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Guidewire in February 2014.

Applied through a career fair and had a first round interview on-campus. The first round consisted of simple questions involving knowledge of hash functions, graph traversals, and classic java syntax. These guys were so friendly, I was interviewed with two engineers at the same time. Both of them were very nice interesting people.

Interview Questions
    • Given a root directory, return all the sub files of this root directory. Note, a file can be a directory with more sub files or a data file which has no sub files.   View Answer

I haven't declined yet, the offer is definitely much higher than the average intern position placed on glassdoor. Only reason I chose this option is because glassdoor doesn't have a "Received Offer, not sure yet".

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Guidewire in November 2013.

Had a series of conversations with a recruiter, first they steered me toward a role I didn't apply to I agreed to talk to the HM about it even though it wasn't what I was looking for. The recruiter then failed to follow up in the timeframe they said they would (thus I moved on assuming I wasn't a fit). After four weeks, they reached out again trying to set up interview for different role (which they did not clarify, I had to ask what role they were trying to set up an interview for), after having the role clarified, I again agreed to chat with the HM, but again, there was no follow up.

I'm really surprised and turned off by the flaky communication, especially for a highly lauded company such as Guidewire. Why are you reaching out to candidates, initiating conversations, just to disappear - even if a candidate is not a fit, the role got filled, etc, simply communicate that, especially when you initiated contact.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be interested in a phone screen with "so and so"?   Answer Question

Technical Sales Consultant Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Guidewire.

HR interview > hiring manager interview > technical interview/activity > in-person presentation/interview. must be good at OO programming. this is the most "technical" sales consultant job ever, it is almost a programming job more than a sales job

Director-Finance_Accounting Role Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Guidewire.

Applied via LinkedIn, was contacted went through 1 week of interview via phone with recruitment. Then was coordinating to schedule an on-site with the hiring manager. Recruitment calls back 3 days later to tell me not interested, no reason why the change and get an email rejection. Avoid if in Finance or Accounting

Senior Curriculum Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Guidewire in September 2009.

I was contacted by a recruiter, by phone, while I was unemployed. This gave me hope. The recruiter gauged my interest and skills then referred my resume to the hiring manager. The hiring manager was pessimistic but evaluated my skills and invited me in for a face to face interview.

The f2f was grueling: I spoke with six people over four hours, was asked to take a software test, and generally put through the wringer. The people were interesting and friendly though.

I didn't hear from them for several weeks. Then suddenly the recruiter called me with an offer, which I accepted without attempting to negotiate.

I didn't try.

Sales Operatoins Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Guidewire.

Initially contacted by a recruiter. I had a "discussion" (phone interview) with her to begin with, then went into the office for my interview. I met with three people during the interview. The interview process was very straightforward.

The offer was extended via the recruiter. The recruiter explained everything to me very well. I was pleased with the offer.

Sales Enablement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Guidewire in July 2012.

Very detailed process. I live in a different state than where the company is headquartered, so I had 4-5 hour-long phone interviews with various team members and other people I would interact with frequently. I then traveled to headquarters for 3 hours of in-person interviews, a casual interview over lunch, and an hour-long, in-character presentation based on a case study I was given the week prior. Overall, talked to my manager, her manager, three team members, and four other coworkers who I engage with frequently.

Interview Questions
    • The case study presentation was the most difficult/highest pressure part. Every employee is given a case study that is appropriate for their position (developers have to debug code, for example). They do this to see an example of your work, but also to see how you handle criticism and pressure. I received the case study on a Thursday evening, and presented the following Monday afternoon.   Answer Question
    Was done over the phone. Early in the process, I indicated what I was previously making. A few days after the in-person interview & case study presentation, the HR manager called with details of the offer. I was told that they try to make the best offer possible, and typically don't do a lot of negotiation. The offer was very good, and I accepted.

Worked for Guidewire? Contribute to the Community!