Guidewire

Updated Feb 19, 2015
Updated Feb 19, 2015

3.2

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Guidewire.

Applied at the career fair, and was had to do a relatively simple coding challenge on the back of my resume, which I completed. Was later emailed that they'd like to interview me on campus. After chatting for a bit, the two engineers interviewing me had me do a couple coding problems on a computer that all built off of each other. I solved all of them, perhaps taking a bit longer on the last one than I should have. I was later emailed that I had positive reviews from my interview and they were still deciding. The next week they emailed me that they couldn't offer me a position, but they encouraged me to apply again and had added my name to people they were interested in for the future. Being a sophomore, I can't have too many complaints.

Interview Questions
    • First writing a method that generated license plate numbers by taking certain formatted strings and converting certain numbers into letters. Next, a method that used that method to check if certain strings were valid license plates. Finally, writing a method that generated all possible correctly formatted license plates. Was also asked about hypothetical ways to improve solutions although they told me not to worry too much about efficiency.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Guidewire in February 2015.

I had a coding challenge that I had to complete (no time frame) correctly upon which I was informed that I will be having a 30 minutes skype interview. The interviewer was very kind and asked me about my solution to the coding problem and asked me a couple of data structures questions like speak about their implementation.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Guidewire.

Applied online and got a call from the recruiter after a week. The recruiter asked about a few technical questions that were straight out of the book. No problems there as the recruiter was keen on understanding whether I could code or not. I was scheduled for a phone screen. That was it!

Interview Questions
    • Given a list L1(L11, L12)->L2->L3(L31, L32)->L4. (L1->L2 means that L1 is the parent and L2 is the child. L1(L11, L12) means that the nodes are adjoined). Flatten the list at the same level. Collabedit interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Guidewire in October 2011.

It is a technical test in Eclipse and you are given 4 hours to complete it. It has 3 parts. In the first one you have to code a JDBC application that access a SQLLite database. In the second one there is a JMS broker and you have to code a publisher and a subscriber that reverses the message pulled from the queue. The last part is a code quality interview where you have to check for code smells in a file reading/writing piece of code.

Sales Demo Team Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in February 2015.

Basically the attitude was "take this exam first, then we will talk" which I found somewhat pretentious, but I accepted since they tried to convince me that it is a "cool" place to work. I did some research and it seems like they are post-startup and have various videos and images of a relaxed work environment, but I guess I was turned off after two failed schedule exam invitations. It seems they had a change in coordinator, emails to/from different people, etc so the impression I got was that they are disorganized and they still would not speak to me until I took this exam. So after 2 weeks, they finally sent me the exam and it was a basic Java exam around sorting, data definition/model, etc and basically write up code within 2 hours.

I could understand having someone take an exam if they are college hires, junior positions, etc but someone with a senior role will find this almost insulting; plus this is for a SALES DEMO position, so it should be more customization than raw coding. Granted you do not want to waste time bringing in people who are NOT technical, but I think any senior engineer does not feel like taking a test unless there is a certification or money exchanged afterwards. You could easily have a conversation and gauge a person's skill level, but it seems they are too "busy" to talk to people and instead have them take a test to help weed out non-engineers. In reality I was just curious because I did not know what to expect, since I have only taken an exam once in my life during a job interview and now in BOTH cases I walked away.

I basically closed the empty exam and politely thanked them for their time, but I think any company that bases their hiring practices on an exam without speaking to you are setting themselves up for failure because they will only hire the same "type" of people every time. Anyway, I am actually somewhat grateful, because it just helped me affirm that I do not want to be in coding-only environment at this point in my career since I do more than just crank out code. My only advice would be for them to clearly state in ANY and ALL job descriptions whether or not an exam has to be taken beforehand as this might help both parties avoid wasting any time and will force them to rethink their hiring practices.

Interview Questions
    • This is a "cool" place to work. You seem like a good fit. How about you take an exam?   View Answer

Senior Technical Writer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Guidewire in November 2014.

I applied online. A recruiter replied quickly and set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. At the end of that phone interview, the manager asked me to send writing samples to the recruiter. When I tried, my message bounced, so I tried to submit them through the online-application web site. This seemed to work, but to be sure, I left voicemail for the recruiter, telling her what I had done and asking her to verify that she had received my samples. That was months ago. I never heard from the recruiter or anyone else at Guidewire again.

Solution Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in December 2014.

Overall I really enjoyed the interview process.

There was excellent communication through out the process.

First a recruiter called me on skype and that was a chat to discover my skillset and if i would be interested in working there.

Next there was a technical exam based on Java. 4 questions, answer two or more if time allowed.
    The questions were on JMS, JDBC, Iterators and bad code.

Next up was a technical phonecall to determine my level of competency within the required fields. A very pleasant phone call with a very helpful and informative interviewer.

Finally there was a set of three one-hour long interviews back to back where I met with three different interviewers from three different fields in the company. This was a very enjoyable experience and the interview process was both informative and thought provoking.
    Some technical questions were asked but nothing that should trouble a recent graduate or someone who has done their research and study beforehand.

All in all, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. If I had one issue with the whole process, I would say that it was the feedback post interview.
    I didn't get an offer and had to try and chase down some feedback after several weeks without a response.
    When I finally did contact them about feedback, they were unable to provide any meaningful feedback and gave vague reasons as to my failure on the interview process.
    I would have liked more specific feedback as it would highlight my weaknesses for me and enable me to improve.

I would recommend applying for a position here as the company seemed quite pleasant and the people certainly seemed like they would be enjoyable to work here.

Interview Questions
    • My most unexpected question was on the nature of strings in java. e.g. the different ways that strings can be considered equal, etc...   View Answers (3)

Data Scientist Interview

Applied through their website after seeing the job opening in the online portal. Next I received a phone call for an initial phone discussion. Initial phone screening was mostly related to standard statistical questions. Questions in Principle component analysis, hypothesis testing, dimensionality reduction, regression analysis. Expectation was to know all technical jargons by-heart. No chance were given to explain my work experience. They were looking for candidates with a formal statistical education.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly standard statistical questions related to the business. They were looking for candidates with formal statistics education, not just work experience   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire.

I applied via career fair, and got contacted for a phone interview after about a week. The interview lasted half an hour. The interviewer started with a introduction of the company, and then went through the resume pretty quickly. I got a few detailed questions about the Java language, and a small puzzle around the end. The interviewer is very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between abstract class and interface   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Guidewire.

Got a phone interview, most of the questions are core java related. Did well, but not selected. Interviewer was so humble and greeted well. Explained the company policies and focus and also working environment.