Guidewire Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2015

3.2

Implementation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Guidewire (Chicago, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

Phone screen; Phone interview; Written skill test in Java and SQL; F2F in Chicago
    Phone screen was a general interview with technical questions regarding XML and SQL. Written was very easy, had some Java, SQL and SQL DB design related questions. XML that needed to be built required insurance knowledge. Regarding DB design, there could be multiple solutions.
    Inteterviewers seemed to ok but came across a bit arrogant

Interview Questions

• Policy administration configuration; Client engagement activities   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire (Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)) in March 2015.

Interview

phone interview with HR talking about my background and my going through my Resume then i got a Test to complete that covers some Java collections , JMS , JUnit , JDBC the test was 3 hours any graduate Computer science will be able to do , Technical Interview over phone 45 min covering XML and Core Java Questions

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got the first phone interview invitation 3 or 4 days later. The first round is about basic Java knowledge. The second round phone interview needs access to internet. The interviewer will send a link to your email. It is like coderpad. I was asked to do some coding. Both interviewers are pretty nice. The pace is quick. When you got the point, he moves to the next question.

Interview Questions

• Basic Java interview questions. Like how does HashMap deal with collision?   Answer Question

Solution Consultant (Java Developer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire (Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)) in February 2015.

Interview

The whole interview process lasted almost a month. First I got a call from the HR to confirm my application and then was explained about the interview process. The interview basically divided into 3 stages. A remote coding challenge, a technical phone interview and the then a 3 face to face interviews at their office. The coding challenge consisted of questions from Java collections, JDBC, JMS and one code optimization question. I was told about the result within 3 days and was asked to schedule a date and time for a phone interview which would be for 45-60 mins. The phone interview consisted of questions from java, databases, xml, design patterns, n-tier architecture, web services, SDLC and few behavioral questions. They came back with the result again within 2-3 days and was asked to schedule a date and time for the 3 face to face interviews. The on site interviews were very difficult and everything you claim to know would be tested. The first of the 3 interviews was with a hiring manager, he eased me into the interview process by talking in general and then in depth about my CV. Then I was asked to explain one of my previous projects on the white board and was then asked to solve some database queries. Then the next one was pure technical from the start I was asked to write a database query and was then asked to explain some code they had on paper, and then I was asked to code on the whiteboard the given problem. The final interview was more of a cultural fit interview. The interviewer asked things in general, to check if I would be a good fit for their organisation. He even demonstrated one of their products and was given a chance to ask question regarding it and the organisation. Then I was asked to code on the whiteboard one final time. All the interviewers were very friendly and made me feel comfortable answering their questions and would suggest me other solutions/approach if they thought I was going wrong anywhere. A HR then came after the final round and talked to me about the overall experience of my interview that day and, was told that would discuss my performance with the interviewers and get back to me soon. I was given a call after 3 days telling that they have liked my overall performance and would like to extend an offer. I accepted the offer. The overall process was very grueling and difficult, but I understand its required by them as they want people who can handle their complex code at work.

Interview Questions

• I signed a NDA so wouldn't be able to disclose anything but the questions were something that anyone who know Java at graduate level could answer easily.   Answer Question

Solution Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exton, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire (Exton, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

i had applied online for the position. Got a call from the recruiter, had a coding test and then a technical interview over the phone. Final interview was in person held at the office location in Exton. Very nice and meaningful interaction with everyone throughout the process. Everyone was very pleasant to talk to and encouraging. Got an offer few days after the final round. Accepted it.

Interview Questions

• questions on Java, SQL, database. There were couple of problems for coding in the final round. All the questions were fair, that could be answered with prior self study.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview

Applied at the career fair, and was had to do a relatively simple coding challenge on the back of my resume, which I completed. Was later emailed that they'd like to interview me on campus. After chatting for a bit, the two engineers interviewing me had me do a couple coding problems on a computer that all built off of each other. I solved all of them, perhaps taking a bit longer on the last one than I should have. I was later emailed that I had positive reviews from my interview and they were still deciding. The next week they emailed me that they couldn't offer me a position, but they encouraged me to apply again and had added my name to people they were interested in for the future. Being a sophomore, I can't have too many complaints.

Interview Questions

• First writing a method that generated license plate numbers by taking certain formatted strings and converting certain numbers into letters. Next, a method that used that method to check if certain strings were valid license plates. Finally, writing a method that generated all possible correctly formatted license plates. Was also asked about hypothetical ways to improve solutions although they told me not to worry too much about efficiency.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Guidewire (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I had a coding challenge that I had to complete (no time frame) correctly upon which I was informed that I will be having a 30 minutes skype interview. The interviewer was very kind and asked me about my solution to the coding problem and asked me a couple of data structures questions like speak about their implementation.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview

Applied online and got a call from the recruiter after a week. The recruiter asked about a few technical questions that were straight out of the book. No problems there as the recruiter was keen on understanding whether I could code or not. I was scheduled for a phone screen. That was it!

Interview Questions

• Given a list L1(L11, L12)->L2->L3(L31, L32)->L4. (L1->L2 means that L1 is the parent and L2 is the child. L1(L11, L12) means that the nodes are adjoined). Flatten the list at the same level. Collabedit interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Guidewire (Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)) in October 2011.

Interview

It is a technical test in Eclipse and you are given 4 hours to complete it. It has 3 parts. In the first one you have to code a JDBC application that access a SQLLite database. In the second one there is a JMS broker and you have to code a publisher and a subscriber that reverses the message pulled from the queue. The last part is a code quality interview where you have to check for code smells in a file reading/writing piece of code.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in February 2015.

Interview

Basically the attitude was "take this exam first, then we will talk" which I found somewhat pretentious, but I accepted since they tried to convince me that it is a "cool" place to work. I did some research and it seems like they are post-startup and have various videos and images of a relaxed work environment, but I guess I was turned off after two failed schedule exam invitations. It seems they had a change in coordinator, emails to/from different people, etc so the impression I got was that they are disorganized and they still would not speak to me until I took this exam. So after 2 weeks, they finally sent me the exam and it was a basic Java exam around sorting, data definition/model, etc and basically write up code within 2 hours.

I could understand having someone take an exam if they are college hires, junior positions, etc but someone with a senior role will find this almost insulting; plus this is for a SALES DEMO position, so it should be more customization than raw coding. Granted you do not want to waste time bringing in people who are NOT technical, but I think any senior engineer does not feel like taking a test unless there is a certification or money exchanged afterwards. You could easily have a conversation and gauge a person's skill level, but it seems they are too "busy" to talk to people and instead have them take a test to help weed out non-engineers. In reality I was just curious because I did not know what to expect, since I have only taken an exam once in my life during a job interview and now in BOTH cases I walked away.

I basically closed the empty exam and politely thanked them for their time, but I think any company that bases their hiring practices on an exam without speaking to you are setting themselves up for failure because they will only hire the same "type" of people every time. Anyway, I am actually somewhat grateful, because it just helped me affirm that I do not want to be in coding-only environment at this point in my career since I do more than just crank out code. My only advice would be for them to clearly state in ANY and ALL job descriptions whether or not an exam has to be taken beforehand as this might help both parties avoid wasting any time and will force them to rethink their hiring practices.

Interview Questions

• This is a "cool" place to work. You seem like a good fit. How about you take an exam?   1 Answer