Guidewire Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2015

3.2

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview

Got a phone interview, most of the questions are core java related. Did well, but not selected. Interviewer was so humble and greeted well. Explained the company policies and focus and also working environment.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Guidewire in November 2014.

Interview

I applied through linkedIn.I got phone interview call after 10 days I applied.The interviewer asked me basic java and data structure questions,one puzzle.The interview process is very fast and very friendly.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Guidewire in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online. A recruiter replied quickly and set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. At the end of that phone interview, the manager asked me to send writing samples to the recruiter. When I tried, my message bounced, so I tried to submit them through the online-application web site. This seemed to work, but to be sure, I left voicemail for the recruiter, telling her what I had done and asking her to verify that she had received my samples. That was months ago. I never heard from the recruiter or anyone else at Guidewire again.

Sales Enablement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA).

Interview

Fantastically choreographed and very thorough. Everyone was upbeat, straightforward and well prepared when they spoke with me. I had a variety of phone interviews, 1 serious day of face to face interviews and was required to present a case study to the team on how I would tackle their burning issues. I had numerous opportunities to ask questions in preparation for the presentation. Then, right before I was given an offer, they scheduled one more call with my hiring manager to make sure we were both on the same page and they hadn't over sold or undersold the opportunity. I was able to be very very candid about what type of management style and project mix would give them the most value from me, and they could be totally candid about shifts in the group's charter that might change what projects were available to me. The whole process was conducted with incredible integrity and transparency, which is, I found out, how people at Guidewire operate all the time. I kept expecting there to be some drama- some set back, some head count lost or title changed or salary switched. Never happened. Just a thorough, straightforward, well conducted process. Everything they said they would do, they did. No one ever disappeared or left me hanging or didn't get back to me. And I have discovered since starting that I am not alone in this experience.

Interview Questions

• It was a variation on "what would you do in the first 90 days of your job?" but it was framed like "what would you recommend we do to address this issue we're facing?".   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was very straightforward. I did not play games and they did not play games.

Technical Consultant North America Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire.

Interview

The process is so fast, but multiple steps. 1) Recruiter interview.: We just talk about experience (15 min) 2) Technical interview.: Almost 2 hours of Java question: OOP concepts, tier architecture, ant, jms, sql, xml, Junit. 3) Technical test.- 3 hours, for 4 exercises: SQL, JMS, XML, code errors detection 4) Face to face interview.: 3 Individual interviews (manager, product specialist and director) nothing technical, just talk about experience, and how to resolve conflicts in the field. Two days after the face to face interviews, I got a call from recruiter, told me she was working in the offer. They are looking for people that really want to stay in the company for long time. I had experience in the GW products. I had been working with some GW employees. The interviewers have called every one that I know from GW and they have asked for my performance.

Interview Questions

• Give an example how would you use ¨volatile¨ in a singleton   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The head of recruiting was really friendly and replied promptly. They gave me a coding challenge for a "boggle game" in Java. I didn't know java, but I knew Python and tried my best. Then, I was given a video/phone interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview

This was the initial screening interview with an HR person. To begin with I found this recruiter, Allison Boyce, was extremely judgmental and not at all qualified to interview a senior level architect. She went overboard crossing the scope and the requirements of the job. Her interpretation of the job description was very skewed. It looked like she had already made up her mind, but was simply filling the quota of the persons she had to interview to keep her contract. She tried to give her conclusion right in the beginning simply by looking at just the current position. She perhaps did not even care to look at the previous experiences for the last 10-15 years.

Interview Questions

• The questions were not really difficult but out of scope. The recruiter the candidate to be a programmer as well as a stereotype manager.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Guidewire in September 2014.

Interview

it was little weird interview, interviewer asked tell me about yourself then he cut me off halfway which was not more than 30 seconds, then is said he does not have time for technical interview so he lets start technical interview. 1) he asked how you design chess game. I identified all the related class like Player, game, pieces, board etc 2) which hashing technique is best? I told they are three 1) linear probing 2)Quadratic probing 3)Double hashing. We had discussion on each of the technique and pros and cons. I got email after couple of days that I was not cleared. Glad anyway I offered in other company who gave more than guidewire compensation discussion with HR

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

This was the easiest interview process of my entire life. It didn't even feel like an interview. A friend passed along my resume to her boss and an hour later I had a 10 minute phone call with her boss where we basically just chit chatted and then at the end she asked how soon I could come in for an in person interview. We set something up for the next business day (which was after a holiday weekend). I had three 30 minute one on one interviews. The first interview I was asked to walk through my resume and she also asked me the traditional "greatest strength / weakness" question. The second interview we just talked about our lives and I had the feeling she wanted to just find out if our personalities were a fit. The third interviewer listed all of the things she needed help with and then asked if those things sounded like tasks I would enjoy. She also asked how my boss would feel if I quit. I didn't feel like any of the three interviews were really interviews. It felt more like they had decided that they had wanted to hire me already and the interview was just an item on their checklist to confirm what they had already decided.

Interview Questions

• I don't know if the interview process was so easy because my friend recommended me, because I was being interviewed for a contract position or because this is a more entry level type marketing position, but there were no surprises in my interview other than the fact that no difficult or unexpected questions were asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation phase was frustrating. They made an offer, I countered and then they came back and said that after checking with HR, they couldn't even offer what they had originally offered. I felt this was very unprofessional. Also, questions I had asked about benefits either took a very long time to answer or were not answered at all.

Tax Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Guidewire.

Interview

I applied and got an email to schedule a phone interview within a few days. The HR person called me 40 minutes late and did not seem at all interested in my responses. It felt like she was just moving throughout the candidates as fast as possible and the entire phone call was less than 5 minutes. Did not get responses after that, but that short phone call was really off-putting.

Interview Questions

• Typical phone screening - Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

See What Guidewire Employees Are Saying

Current Senior Recruitment Business Partner in Foster City, CA

Pros: “Professionally I work on a variety of projects that stimulate my curiosity and work with multiple departments. I am still amazed at how well we collaborate and accommodate one another...”“Professionally I work on a variety of projects that stimulate my curiosity and work with multiple departments. I am still amazed at how well we collaborate and accommodate one another, since we are so global and so busy.I feel a great deal of professional courtesy given to me to be successful. It lets me feel positive about my chances for success. Even when I have a hard challenge, and when the good of the group may trump the path of least resistance, I am comfortable we choose to strengthen the company over personal agendas. And when I fail, which we all do trying new things, I am given props for not shying away from hard things as long as I make rational decisions. To have control over my destiny, definitely adds to job satisfaction. I am pleased with our results. Seeing 15 of my hires get promotions in one region alone helps a lot. I imagine that their lives are greatly improved with a move here. That is critical for me to feel like I can be authentic about the company. Now if I could just click my heels together to teleport to all my colleagues on every continent, this place would be perfect!” – Full Review