Guidewire

Updated Jan 19, 2015
Updated Jan 19, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in June 2013.

A telephonic round with hiring manager, covered job experience and a few questions on simple data structures.
    Then I was called for on-site interview.
    1 hour Object-Oriented design
    1 hour Algorithms
    1 hour programming on an IDE
    1 hour behavioral interview with manager.

Senior Implementation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in April 2013.

refered by friend, applied, contacted and set up phone interview 1 (passed), took 3 hour technical test (passed), trip to chicago for final interview (was 3 seperate 1 hour interviews) - passed. On the way home from chicago I got an email letting me know they were working on my offer. 3 days later I had my offer and accepted

Interview Questions
    • I had background in there software, there for nothing was very difficult or surprising. In chicago I had to write some code for a recursive function to meet a specific need.,   View Answer
    I gave them a range and they of coarse started at the lowest end even though I nailed the interview. Fortuently I made my lowest number the number I was really wanting and that anything more was a bonus in my mind. I did ask why they offered what they did in the range I provided and they were able to explain with decent logic. As well as the company stock helps you not worry about it.

Corporate Recruiter Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Guidewire.

I was referred in by a former co-worker, so my skills were already proven.

Fair offer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in March 2013.

Has a quick 30 minute phone screen consisting of basic data sturctures and OOP design questions. Was bought on for a 4 hour onsite interview. Talked to the recruiter briefly, had another OOP design question that took an hour, one algorithm interview (that involved recursion) for an hour, a coding question with an IDE on the computer, then talked to a manager about the company. Interview process was good, felt like a good place to work, and I also felt like I preformed well, but two days later the recruiter let me know I didn't get that job.

Interview Questions
    • All I'll say is that the questions are different than what's posted on Glassdoor (since they realized too many people read the questions)...   Answer Question

Development Manager Interview

Recruiter was very helpful. I had two rounds of interviews. Both were largely technical, but there were some behavioral questions too.

Integration Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in March 2013.

Right from the beginning Guidewire made it clear about their interview process and was prompt in scheduling, giving feedback and going for the next round. It became very clear from the beginning that these guys were professional, intelligent and a fun set of people. The interviews were very open, enthusiastic and more like technical discussions. I have never given interviews like these - it was a pleasure and everyone was genuinely friendly. The face to face interview was with 3 people and each one of them made me feel comfortable and asked great questions. Clearly I had never had such fun in the interview process. Questions were on expected lines and it never felt that these guys were asking anything that would never be used on the job - very logical and practical questions around java and general language constructs. One of the most impressive things about Guidewire was that they are very thorough and detailed in scheduling, providing details and setting up everything along the process. Even after their offer, they went out of their way to set up all the required resources and sent emails with the details. The interview process is tough and lengthy, but once you get through you know that you will be working with brilliant people who themselves went through this process and this gives you that much more confidence.

Interview Questions
    The offer was above what I was making [and I work in a bank which is known for great pay] and very good. I asked for a small change in the numbers with supporting documentation for the request. It was granted the next day and I was very happy at the end.

User Interface Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Guidewire in March 2013.

Had an initial phone interview with the hiring manager. Discussed the role, needs and expectations. I expressed concern with a certain poor quality UI toolkit they were using. They indicated they needed someone with my expert front-end experience to help them remove it from their environment. Felt there was good fit and proceeded with an onsite.

Onsite went very well. Some technical screening, but all screeners quickly realized that my expertise went well beyond their own. Met with a product manager, development director, and then closed with the hiring manager. Everything seemed positive except slight concern during a tour of the work areas. Most employees were packed shoulder to should in boiler room work area with no personal space at all. I use the term boiler room to contrast from a properly designed, agile open workspace.

Upon arriving home I received an email form the recruiter stating that "everything was positive, and they were going to proceed with an offer". He asked me what my current salary, bonus, RSUs were. I gave him the number which were in the market range for my expertise and experience.

Three days later, I receive a second email from the recruiter stating that "things have changed" and something to the effect that the hiring manager thought about giving me an offer as a senior developer so I could "prove" myself for six months, but since I was unwilling to work with the UI toolkit that I was supposedly supposed to help them get rid of they were rescinding the offer that they were going to move forward with 3 days earlier.

My perception of this process and company was that 1) this was clearly a bait-and-switch attempt to get an overqualified UI architect into a lesser senior engineer role for less money. 2) they are no where near willing to pay market level for the expertise they are expecting to get.

Implementation Architect Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in February 2013.

Guidewire is a class act organization, they move fast on the interview process and are very professional all around.

First phone screen with recruiter.

Second phone interview with peer/lead in position.

Third skills test and review, 2 hours to complete an implementation quiz with some programming concepts.

Fourth in person, met with 3 managers in person (Chicago) from various disciplines.

Received offer 3 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in detail object oriented programming concepts, review code, etc   View Answer

Three full weeks of onsite training (including weekends) was hard to swallow.

Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Guidewire in February 2013.

On-campus interview that lasted an hour. Asked two standard technical questions, relating to utilizing data structures to solve the given problems. Two interviewers were present and after the coding test, talked about possible projects if given the intern position.

Senior Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in February 2013.

I applied for the role online and was contacted via email by a recruiter. The recruiter asked if I had any experience in finance for a service organization. Although I'm highly experienced in Finance it hasn't been within the service industry so I ignored the email as I figured the process would be a waste of my time. If that question is the one determining factor why continue any dialogue. A week or so later I was contacted again by the recruiter asking if I had time to talk. Disinterested but bored and needing a job I replied with my availability. I was then contacted by a second recruiter who confirmed an interview time yet failed to call at the assigned time. He apologized for his error and asked to reschedule. He finally called and asked a few surface questions that were obvious by my resume.... By the end of the call we concluded that it wasn't the right opportunity. My advice would be to the recruiters to simply pass the resumes to the hiring manager and let him/ her do all screening as they better understand the field of finance