Guidewire

Relevance Date Difficulty

Development Manager Interview

Development Manager

Interviewed at Guidewire

Interview Details – Recruiter was very helpful. I had two rounds of interviews. Both were largely technical, but there were some behavioral questions too.

Interview Question – Handling conflict.   Answer Question

QA Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Guidewire in January 2013.

Interview Details – The recruiter called after I applied online to the company. They scheduled a telephonic interview. There were questions like what do I know, how much automation experience, java experience, why I am leaving the current job etc. I was told that I would get a call within two days. But did not hear from them at all.

Interview Question – Unexpected question : Experience with Java outside automation   Answer Question

Senior Finance Manager Interview

Foster City, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Guidewire in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for the role online and was contacted via email by a recruiter. The recruiter asked if I had any experience in finance for a service organization. Although I'm highly experienced in Finance it hasn't been within the service industry so I ignored the email as I figured the process would be a waste of my time. If that question is the one determining factor why continue any dialogue. A week or so later I was contacted again by the recruiter asking if I had time to talk. Disinterested but bored and needing a job I replied with my availability. I was then contacted by a second recruiter who confirmed an interview time yet failed to call at the assigned time. He apologized for his error and asked to reschedule. He finally called and asked a few surface questions that were obvious by my resume.... By the end of the call we concluded that it wasn't the right opportunity. My advice would be to the recruiters to simply pass the resumes to the hiring manager and let him/ her do all screening as they better understand the field of finance

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Documentation Manager Interview

Foster City, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Guidewire in November 2012.

Interview Details – Via LinkedIn, I saw that Guidewire had a senior technical writing position open. I had several ex-colleagues at Guidewire and one dear friend, so I applied and mentioned her. The in-house recruitment team was responsive, and three days later I did a preliminary interview with their recruiter. That's when I found out that there was also an opening for a doc manager, for which I was possibly qualified. I consented to having my resume submitted for the doc manager slot, and had a 30-minute phone interview with the hiring manager, which seemed to go very very well. I was finally scheduled to interview on site, with the hiring manager and three of the technical writers.

Interview Question – Without any prior warning, the second technical writer to interview me attempted to give me a test of my technical knowledge. The first question asked was related to programming. I am not a programmer, and never claimed to be. The "surprise quiz", on matters that are really not relevant to the MANAGEMENT of a documentation group, felt hostile.   View Answer

San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Guidewire in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for the position QA (Gray box) Engineer online and i was contacted by the recruiter. He was very good and gave me a nice introduction over the phone and ran me thro the interview process. He set up a phone interview with the hiring manager the next day. The phone interview went fine.

The Hiring manager asked me about my current job and why am i looking for other opportunities.

Then i was called for the inperson interview the following week. The first one hour session went well where they asked me few questions on Java basics. A couple of problems were given and i was asked to write programs to solve those. The interviewer verified the programs that i wrote and he suggested me other alternatives to write the programs as well.

In the next hour,another QA automation person in the company came and showed me a couple of code snippets from their automation scripts, and he asked to automate few actions in their website.
I struggled in the beginning since they were using GOSU , it is their own programming language and there are some difference in the in the way of writing the regular selenium automation scripts with Java.
He helped me and answered all my questions and finally i wrote a code snippet and i was able to execute it.

The 3rd hour was with the hiring manager. This was all theatrical were they asked some questions on my current project, the kind of work i do etc. I was given an given a scenario and was asked to come up with the test cases to test that, this round didnt go well and the interviewer expected me to tell a couple of cases that i didnt think about.

Overall, it was a good experience and i felt the work atmosphere was very good.

Interview Question – How did you wanted your ideal day to be at work?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Guidewire in May 2012.

Interview Details – Interview was terminated prematurely by one interviewer. No reasons given.
Had positive impression of first interviewer, second interviewer was terrible:
a. full of himself
b. good talker but terrible listener (talks all the time, and cut you off while you're answering questions, or jump to conclusions as soon as you speak 2 sentences)
c. rude and cocky

Would not work there even if given an offer if the position involve working with such a person.

Interview Questions

• have you write code to implement an interface to compute price for purchasing a cup of coffee.   Answer Question
  • ask you how you do testing of your code   Answer Question

San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Guidewire in April 2010.

Interview Details – The interviewers were friendly and helped me to overcome nervousness.
Hiring manager was honest in describing the role / responsibilities to me.
He was good at telling both positive and negative aspects of being at guidewire.

I was given a decision 1 day after my in-person interviews.
Interview questions were similar to the questions described in rest on the interview feedbacks.

Interview Question – Automation of a UI test for a web page   View Answers (2)

Product Manager Interview

San Mateo, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Guidewire in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was very thorough with multiple rounds. It started off with a call from HR to find if I was the right fit for Guidewire's culture. Then a phone interview with someone in a similar role. After the phone round, there were three onsite interviews. The first onsite round had 1:1 interview with 3 people in similar roles. The second round has 1:1 interview with 3 people from the team and the third round was with senior management.

The interviews revolved around questions very relevant to the role, more hands-on questions...no irrelevant questions which I got from other companies I interviewed at. The interview experience was very positive to make me more interested in joining the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Offered better than expected and accepted.

Accounting Interview

Springfield, MA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Guidewire in June 2011.

Interview Details – Had to take a skills test... basic vocabulary, letter writing, then had to do some on excel, and word. Ended with how fast i type...

Interview Question – BAsic excel questions   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

San Mateo, FL

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Guidewire in September 2010.

Interview Details – Got call thru recruiter.Interview consisted on Phone screening and online skills test

Interviews for Top Jobs at Guidewire