Guidewire

Updated Feb 25, 2015

3.2

User Interface Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Guidewire in March 2013.

Had an initial phone interview with the hiring manager. Discussed the role, needs and expectations. I expressed concern with a certain poor quality UI toolkit they were using. They indicated they needed someone with my expert front-end experience to help them remove it from their environment. Felt there was good fit and proceeded with an onsite.

Onsite went very well. Some technical screening, but all screeners quickly realized that my expertise went well beyond their own. Met with a product manager, development director, and then closed with the hiring manager. Everything seemed positive except slight concern during a tour of the work areas. Most employees were packed shoulder to should in boiler room work area with no personal space at all. I use the term boiler room to contrast from a properly designed, agile open workspace.

Upon arriving home I received an email form the recruiter stating that "everything was positive, and they were going to proceed with an offer". He asked me what my current salary, bonus, RSUs were. I gave him the number which were in the market range for my expertise and experience.

Three days later, I receive a second email from the recruiter stating that "things have changed" and something to the effect that the hiring manager thought about giving me an offer as a senior developer so I could "prove" myself for six months, but since I was unwilling to work with the UI toolkit that I was supposedly supposed to help them get rid of they were rescinding the offer that they were going to move forward with 3 days earlier.

My perception of this process and company was that 1) this was clearly a bait-and-switch attempt to get an overqualified UI architect into a lesser senior engineer role for less money. 2) they are no where near willing to pay market level for the expertise they are expecting to get.

Implementation Architect Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in February 2013.

Guidewire is a class act organization, they move fast on the interview process and are very professional all around.

First phone screen with recruiter.

Second phone interview with peer/lead in position.

Third skills test and review, 2 hours to complete an implementation quiz with some programming concepts.

Fourth in person, met with 3 managers in person (Chicago) from various disciplines.

Received offer 3 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in detail object oriented programming concepts, review code, etc   View Answer

Three full weeks of onsite training (including weekends) was hard to swallow.

Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Guidewire in February 2013.

On-campus interview that lasted an hour. Asked two standard technical questions, relating to utilizing data structures to solve the given problems. Two interviewers were present and after the coding test, talked about possible projects if given the intern position.

Senior Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in February 2013.

I applied for the role online and was contacted via email by a recruiter. The recruiter asked if I had any experience in finance for a service organization. Although I'm highly experienced in Finance it hasn't been within the service industry so I ignored the email as I figured the process would be a waste of my time. If that question is the one determining factor why continue any dialogue. A week or so later I was contacted again by the recruiter asking if I had time to talk. Disinterested but bored and needing a job I replied with my availability. I was then contacted by a second recruiter who confirmed an interview time yet failed to call at the assigned time. He apologized for his error and asked to reschedule. He finally called and asked a few surface questions that were obvious by my resume.... By the end of the call we concluded that it wasn't the right opportunity. My advice would be to the recruiters to simply pass the resumes to the hiring manager and let him/ her do all screening as they better understand the field of finance

QA Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Guidewire in January 2013.

The recruiter called after I applied online to the company. They scheduled a telephonic interview. There were questions like what do I know, how much automation experience, java experience, why I am leaving the current job etc. I was told that I would get a call within two days. But did not hear from them at all.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question : Experience with Java outside automation   Answer Question

Documentation Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in November 2012.

Via LinkedIn, I saw that Guidewire had a senior technical writing position open. I had several ex-colleagues at Guidewire and one dear friend, so I applied and mentioned her. The in-house recruitment team was responsive, and three days later I did a preliminary interview with their recruiter. That's when I found out that there was also an opening for a doc manager, for which I was possibly qualified. I consented to having my resume submitted for the doc manager slot, and had a 30-minute phone interview with the hiring manager, which seemed to go very very well. I was finally scheduled to interview on site, with the hiring manager and three of the technical writers.

Interview Questions
    • Without any prior warning, the second technical writer to interview me attempted to give me a test of my technical knowledge. The first question asked was related to programming. I am not a programmer, and never claimed to be. The "surprise quiz", on matters that are really not relevant to the MANAGEMENT of a documentation group, felt hostile.   View Answer

Sales Enablement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in July 2012.

Very detailed process. I live in a different state than where the company is headquartered, so I had 4-5 hour-long phone interviews with various team members and other people I would interact with frequently. I then traveled to headquarters for 3 hours of in-person interviews, a casual interview over lunch, and an hour-long, in-character presentation based on a case study I was given the week prior. Overall, talked to my manager, her manager, three team members, and four other coworkers who I engage with frequently.

Interview Questions
    • The case study presentation was the most difficult/highest pressure part. Every employee is given a case study that is appropriate for their position (developers have to debug code, for example). They do this to see an example of your work, but also to see how you handle criticism and pressure. I received the case study on a Thursday evening, and presented the following Monday afternoon.   Answer Question
    Was done over the phone. Early in the process, I indicated what I was previously making. A few days after the in-person interview & case study presentation, the HR manager called with details of the offer. I was told that they try to make the best offer possible, and typically don't do a lot of negotiation. The offer was very good, and I accepted.

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Guidewire in June 2012.

I applied for the position QA (Gray box) Engineer online and i was contacted by the recruiter. He was very good and gave me a nice introduction over the phone and ran me thro the interview process. He set up a phone interview with the hiring manager the next day. The phone interview went fine.

The Hiring manager asked me about my current job and why am i looking for other opportunities.

Then i was called for the inperson interview the following week. The first one hour session went well where they asked me few questions on Java basics. A couple of problems were given and i was asked to write programs to solve those. The interviewer verified the programs that i wrote and he suggested me other alternatives to write the programs as well.

In the next hour,another QA automation person in the company came and showed me a couple of code snippets from their automation scripts, and he asked to automate few actions in their website.
    I struggled in the beginning since they were using GOSU , it is their own programming language and there are some difference in the in the way of writing the regular selenium automation scripts with Java.
    He helped me and answered all my questions and finally i wrote a code snippet and i was able to execute it.

The 3rd hour was with the hiring manager. This was all theatrical were they asked some questions on my current project, the kind of work i do etc. I was given an given a scenario and was asked to come up with the test cases to test that, this round didnt go well and the interviewer expected me to tell a couple of cases that i didnt think about.

Overall, it was a good experience and i felt the work atmosphere was very good.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Guidewire in May 2012.

Interview was terminated prematurely by one interviewer. No reasons given.
    Had positive impression of first interviewer, second interviewer was terrible:
    a. full of himself
    b. good talker but terrible listener (talks all the time, and cut you off while you're answering questions, or jump to conclusions as soon as you speak 2 sentences)
    c. rude and cocky

Would not work there even if given an offer if the position involve working with such a person.

Interview Questions
    • have you write code to implement an interface to compute price for purchasing a cup of coffee.   Answer Question
    • ask you how you do testing of your code   Answer Question

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Guidewire in June 2011.

Had to take a skills test... basic vocabulary, letter writing, then had to do some on excel, and word. Ended with how fast i type...