Guidewire Interview Questions & Reviews in San Francisco, CA

3.1

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Guidewire in October 2013.

I was an internal referral and was fast tracked. I spoke to 5 people, of whom there was one Platform Program Manager and others were Product Managers, including one Director.

I was quite surprised that barring one of the guys, none... yes, none of them had actually read my resume in any sort of detail. That was pretty off putting.

Interview Questions
    • How do you incorporate time zones into a system that didn't have it in the past?   View Answer

Although my internal contact spoke highly of GuideWire, I was less than impressed with my interviewers. However, I was given to understand that they had both a major release heading out of the door as well as some conference.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  UC Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Guidewire in February 2014.

Applied through a career fair and had a first round interview on-campus. The first round consisted of simple questions involving knowledge of hash functions, graph traversals, and classic java syntax. These guys were so friendly, I was interviewed with two engineers at the same time. Both of them were very nice interesting people.

Interview Questions
    • Given a root directory, return all the sub files of this root directory. Note, a file can be a directory with more sub files or a data file which has no sub files.   View Answer

I haven't declined yet, the offer is definitely much higher than the average intern position placed on glassdoor. Only reason I chose this option is because glassdoor doesn't have a "Received Offer, not sure yet".

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Guidewire in November 2013.

Had a series of conversations with a recruiter, first they steered me toward a role I didn't apply to I agreed to talk to the HM about it even though it wasn't what I was looking for. The recruiter then failed to follow up in the timeframe they said they would (thus I moved on assuming I wasn't a fit). After four weeks, they reached out again trying to set up interview for different role (which they did not clarify, I had to ask what role they were trying to set up an interview for), after having the role clarified, I again agreed to chat with the HM, but again, there was no follow up.

I'm really surprised and turned off by the flaky communication, especially for a highly lauded company such as Guidewire. Why are you reaching out to candidates, initiating conversations, just to disappear - even if a candidate is not a fit, the role got filled, etc, simply communicate that, especially when you initiated contact.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be interested in a phone screen with "so and so"?   Answer Question

Senior Curriculum Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Guidewire in September 2009.

I was contacted by a recruiter, by phone, while I was unemployed. This gave me hope. The recruiter gauged my interest and skills then referred my resume to the hiring manager. The hiring manager was pessimistic but evaluated my skills and invited me in for a face to face interview.

The f2f was grueling: I spoke with six people over four hours, was asked to take a software test, and generally put through the wringer. The people were interesting and friendly though.

I didn't hear from them for several weeks. Then suddenly the recruiter called me with an offer, which I accepted without attempting to negotiate.

I didn't try.

Sales Enablement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Guidewire in July 2012.

Very detailed process. I live in a different state than where the company is headquartered, so I had 4-5 hour-long phone interviews with various team members and other people I would interact with frequently. I then traveled to headquarters for 3 hours of in-person interviews, a casual interview over lunch, and an hour-long, in-character presentation based on a case study I was given the week prior. Overall, talked to my manager, her manager, three team members, and four other coworkers who I engage with frequently.

Interview Questions
    • The case study presentation was the most difficult/highest pressure part. Every employee is given a case study that is appropriate for their position (developers have to debug code, for example). They do this to see an example of your work, but also to see how you handle criticism and pressure. I received the case study on a Thursday evening, and presented the following Monday afternoon.   Answer Question
    Was done over the phone. Early in the process, I indicated what I was previously making. A few days after the in-person interview & case study presentation, the HR manager called with details of the offer. I was told that they try to make the best offer possible, and typically don't do a lot of negotiation. The offer was very good, and I accepted.

QA Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Guidewire in January 2009.

Poor planning and communication. I pre-interviewed for a QA lead role in Java and SQL. I don't really do database in much depth, so they gave me a change to review my SQL syntax before the real interview. Unfortunately the real interview had nothing to do with Java or SQL!!! Program manager had a huge ego and ended the interview early after a series of questions about GUI applications, which I know nothing about, unfortunately. Guidewire really embarrassed themselves on this one, and perhaps they mixed up the role I was supposed to interview for. A year later I got a job at a company in the next building and saw the Guidewire guys at the gym all the time. Massive, massive egos nonstop. I read their eyes and they remembered me, but none of them even said hello. A friend of mine is there now and doesn't like it - only for the paycheck until something better comes along. Their CEO is a brilliant guy, check him out, but Guidewire is not a recommended company as far as I'm concerned.

Interview Questions
    • "What would be the first priority to test in a GUI application?". There is not enough information in the question to answer that. Too vague.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Foster City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Guidewire in August 2009.

2 day interview

Interview Questions
    Just name a price and it was accepted.

Manager Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Guidewire in July 2013.

ad-hoc. I was under the impression that they would further entertain you if you passed the first 10 minutes

User Interface Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Guidewire in March 2013.

Had an initial phone interview with the hiring manager. Discussed the role, needs and expectations. I expressed concern with a certain poor quality UI toolkit they were using. They indicated they needed someone with my expert front-end experience to help them remove it from their environment. Felt there was good fit and proceeded with an onsite.

Onsite went very well. Some technical screening, but all screeners quickly realized that my expertise went well beyond their own. Met with a product manager, development director, and then closed with the hiring manager. Everything seemed positive except slight concern during a tour of the work areas. Most employees were packed shoulder to should in boiler room work area with no personal space at all. I use the term boiler room to contrast from a properly designed, agile open workspace.

Upon arriving home I received an email form the recruiter stating that "everything was positive, and they were going to proceed with an offer". He asked me what my current salary, bonus, RSUs were. I gave him the number which were in the market range for my expertise and experience.

Three days later, I receive a second email from the recruiter stating that "things have changed" and something to the effect that the hiring manager thought about giving me an offer as a senior developer so I could "prove" myself for six months, but since I was unwilling to work with the UI toolkit that I was supposedly supposed to help them get rid of they were rescinding the offer that they were going to move forward with 3 days earlier.

My perception of this process and company was that 1) this was clearly a bait-and-switch attempt to get an overqualified UI architect into a lesser senior engineer role for less money. 2) they are no where near willing to pay market level for the expertise they are expecting to get.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Guidewire in March 2013.

Has a quick 30 minute phone screen consisting of basic data sturctures and OOP design questions. Was bought on for a 4 hour onsite interview. Talked to the recruiter briefly, had another OOP design question that took an hour, one algorithm interview (that involved recursion) for an hour, a coding question with an IDE on the computer, then talked to a manager about the company. Interview process was good, felt like a good place to work, and I also felt like I preformed well, but two days later the recruiter let me know I didn't get that job.

Interview Questions
    • All I'll say is that the questions are different than what's posted on Glassdoor (since they realized too many people read the questions)...   Answer Question

Worked for Guidewire? Contribute to the Community!