Guidewire Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Aug 20, 2015

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

It started with a call from HR which included basic interest questions and job description. After that I got a call from the program head with technical questions. Last step was on site interview which included four half an hour interviews with employeers from different departments.

Interview Questions

• They don't expect specific answers but your ability to answer with the best you can. All of them were very friendly to talk to. Questions were related to the requirements in the job description. nothing out of that. They ask straight to the point, which is good.   1 Answer

Devops Manager - Infrastructure Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was typical. I submitted my resume and received a phone call from a recruiter. I then interviewed with the hiring manager over the phone. Next step was to interview with 5-6 employees and then finished up with the recruiter

Interview Questions

• What's your experience? How would solve this storage issue? How would you solve this request that is impossible to solve?   Answer Question

Technical Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

2-3 Phone Interviews. First was about me, second was go download their programming language Gosu and build something with it then do a code review, 3rd was a onsite presentation and demo of a software application of your choice. During the presentation it was helpful that I brought all my own equipment to get onto the internet and projector to show. (They had the equipment but commented how other applicants couldn't seem to get it up and running.)

Interview Questions

• Demonstrate that you can sell software.   1 Answer

Sales Enablement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA).

Interview

Fantastically choreographed and very thorough. Everyone was upbeat, straightforward and well prepared when they spoke with me. I had a variety of phone interviews, 1 serious day of face to face interviews and was required to present a case study to the team on how I would tackle their burning issues. I had numerous opportunities to ask questions in preparation for the presentation. Then, right before I was given an offer, they scheduled one more call with my hiring manager to make sure we were both on the same page and they hadn't over sold or undersold the opportunity. I was able to be very very candid about what type of management style and project mix would give them the most value from me, and they could be totally candid about shifts in the group's charter that might change what projects were available to me. The whole process was conducted with incredible integrity and transparency, which is, I found out, how people at Guidewire operate all the time. I kept expecting there to be some drama- some set back, some head count lost or title changed or salary switched. Never happened. Just a thorough, straightforward, well conducted process. Everything they said they would do, they did. No one ever disappeared or left me hanging or didn't get back to me. And I have discovered since starting that I am not alone in this experience.

Interview Questions

• It was a variation on "what would you do in the first 90 days of your job?" but it was framed like "what would you recommend we do to address this issue we're facing?".   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was very straightforward. I did not play games and they did not play games.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

This was the easiest interview process of my entire life. It didn't even feel like an interview. A friend passed along my resume to her boss and an hour later I had a 10 minute phone call with her boss where we basically just chit chatted and then at the end she asked how soon I could come in for an in person interview. We set something up for the next business day (which was after a holiday weekend). I had three 30 minute one on one interviews. The first interview I was asked to walk through my resume and she also asked me the traditional "greatest strength / weakness" question. The second interview we just talked about our lives and I had the feeling she wanted to just find out if our personalities were a fit. The third interviewer listed all of the things she needed help with and then asked if those things sounded like tasks I would enjoy. She also asked how my boss would feel if I quit. I didn't feel like any of the three interviews were really interviews. It felt more like they had decided that they had wanted to hire me already and the interview was just an item on their checklist to confirm what they had already decided.

Interview Questions

• I don't know if the interview process was so easy because my friend recommended me, because I was being interviewed for a contract position or because this is a more entry level type marketing position, but there were no surprises in my interview other than the fact that no difficult or unexpected questions were asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation phase was frustrating. They made an offer, I countered and then they came back and said that after checking with HR, they couldn't even offer what they had originally offered. I felt this was very unprofessional. Also, questions I had asked about benefits either took a very long time to answer or were not answered at all.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Guidewire (UC Berkeley, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied through a career fair and had a first round interview on-campus. The first round consisted of simple questions involving knowledge of hash functions, graph traversals, and classic java syntax. These guys were so friendly, I was interviewed with two engineers at the same time. Both of them were very nice interesting people.

Interview Questions

• Given a root directory, return all the sub files of this root directory. Note, a file can be a directory with more sub files or a data file which has no sub files.   1 Answer

I haven't declined yet, the offer is definitely much higher than the average intern position placed on glassdoor. Only reason I chose this option is because glassdoor doesn't have a "Received Offer, not sure yet".

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Guidewire (San Mateo, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Had a series of conversations with a recruiter, first they steered me toward a role I didn't apply to I agreed to talk to the HM about it even though it wasn't what I was looking for. The recruiter then failed to follow up in the timeframe they said they would (thus I moved on assuming I wasn't a fit). After four weeks, they reached out again trying to set up interview for different role (which they did not clarify, I had to ask what role they were trying to set up an interview for), after having the role clarified, I again agreed to chat with the HM, but again, there was no follow up. I'm really surprised and turned off by the flaky communication, especially for a highly lauded company such as Guidewire. Why are you reaching out to candidates, initiating conversations, just to disappear - even if a candidate is not a fit, the role got filled, etc, simply communicate that, especially when you initiated contact.

Interview Questions

• Would you be interested in a phone screen with "so and so"?   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I was an internal referral and was fast tracked. I spoke to 5 people, of whom there was one Platform Program Manager and others were Product Managers, including one Director. I was quite surprised that barring one of the guys, none... yes, none of them had actually read my resume in any sort of detail. That was pretty off putting.

Interview Questions

• How do you incorporate time zones into a system that didn't have it in the past?   1 Answer

Although my internal contact spoke highly of GuideWire, I was less than impressed with my interviewers. However, I was given to understand that they had both a major release heading out of the door as well as some conference.

Manager Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

ad-hoc. I was under the impression that they would further entertain you if you passed the first 10 minutes

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Has a quick 30 minute phone screen consisting of basic data sturctures and OOP design questions. Was bought on for a 4 hour onsite interview. Talked to the recruiter briefly, had another OOP design question that took an hour, one algorithm interview (that involved recursion) for an hour, a coding question with an IDE on the computer, then talked to a manager about the company. Interview process was good, felt like a good place to work, and I also felt like I preformed well, but two days later the recruiter let me know I didn't get that job.

Interview Questions

• All I'll say is that the questions are different than what's posted on Glassdoor (since they realized too many people read the questions)...   Answer Question