Guidewire

Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Interview

Marketing
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Guidewire in November 2013.

Interview Details – Had a series of conversations with a recruiter, first they steered me toward a role I didn't apply to I agreed to talk to the HM about it even though it wasn't what I was looking for. The recruiter then failed to follow up in the timeframe they said they would (thus I moved on assuming I wasn't a fit). After four weeks, they reached out again trying to set up interview for different role (which they did not clarify, I had to ask what role they were trying to set up an interview for), after having the role clarified, I again agreed to chat with the HM, but again, there was no follow up.

I'm really surprised and turned off by the flaky communication, especially for a highly lauded company such as Guidewire. Why are you reaching out to candidates, initiating conversations, just to disappear - even if a candidate is not a fit, the role got filled, etc, simply communicate that, especially when you initiated contact.

Interview Question – Would you be interested in a phone screen with "so and so"?   Answer Question

Senior Curriculum Developer Interview

Senior Curriculum Developer
San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Guidewire in September 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter, by phone, while I was unemployed. This gave me hope. The recruiter gauged my interest and skills then referred my resume to the hiring manager. The hiring manager was pessimistic but evaluated my skills and invited me in for a face to face interview.

The f2f was grueling: I spoke with six people over four hours, was asked to take a software test, and generally put through the wringer. The people were interesting and friendly though.

I didn't hear from them for several weeks. Then suddenly the recruiter called me with an offer, which I accepted without attempting to negotiate.

Interview Question – Why aren't you employed?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't try.

QA Lead Interview

QA Lead
San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Guidewire in January 2009.

Interview Details – Poor planning and communication. I pre-interviewed for a QA lead role in Java and SQL. I don't really do database in much depth, so they gave me a change to review my SQL syntax before the real interview. Unfortunately the real interview had nothing to do with Java or SQL!!! Program manager had a huge ego and ended the interview early after a series of questions about GUI applications, which I know nothing about, unfortunately. Guidewire really embarrassed themselves on this one, and perhaps they mixed up the role I was supposed to interview for. A year later I got a job at a company in the next building and saw the Guidewire guys at the gym all the time. Massive, massive egos nonstop. I read their eyes and they remembered me, but none of them even said hello. A friend of mine is there now and doesn't like it - only for the paycheck until something better comes along. Their CEO is a brilliant guy, check him out, but Guidewire is not a recommended company as far as I'm concerned.

Interview Question – "What would be the first priority to test in a GUI application?". There is not enough information in the question to answer that. Too vague.   View Answer

QA Engineer Interview

QA Engineer
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Guidewire in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for the position QA (Gray box) Engineer online and i was contacted by the recruiter. He was very good and gave me a nice introduction over the phone and ran me thro the interview process. He set up a phone interview with the hiring manager the next day. The phone interview went fine.

The Hiring manager asked me about my current job and why am i looking for other opportunities.

Then i was called for the inperson interview the following week. The first one hour session went well where they asked me few questions on Java basics. A couple of problems were given and i was asked to write programs to solve those. The interviewer verified the programs that i wrote and he suggested me other alternatives to write the programs as well.

In the next hour,another QA automation person in the company came and showed me a couple of code snippets from their automation scripts, and he asked to automate few actions in their website.
I struggled in the beginning since they were using GOSU , it is their own programming language and there are some difference in the in the way of writing the regular selenium automation scripts with Java.
He helped me and answered all my questions and finally i wrote a code snippet and i was able to execute it.

The 3rd hour was with the hiring manager. This was all theatrical were they asked some questions on my current project, the kind of work i do etc. I was given an given a scenario and was asked to come up with the test cases to test that, this round didnt go well and the interviewer expected me to tell a couple of cases that i didnt think about.

Overall, it was a good experience and i felt the work atmosphere was very good.

Interview Question – How did you wanted your ideal day to be at work?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Guidewire in May 2012.

Interview Details – Interview was terminated prematurely by one interviewer. No reasons given.
Had positive impression of first interviewer, second interviewer was terrible:
a. full of himself
b. good talker but terrible listener (talks all the time, and cut you off while you're answering questions, or jump to conclusions as soon as you speak 2 sentences)
c. rude and cocky

Would not work there even if given an offer if the position involve working with such a person.

Interview Questions

• have you write code to implement an interface to compute price for purchasing a cup of coffee.   Answer Question
  • ask you how you do testing of your code   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

QA Engineer
San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Guidewire in April 2010.

Interview Details – The interviewers were friendly and helped me to overcome nervousness.
Hiring manager was honest in describing the role / responsibilities to me.
He was good at telling both positive and negative aspects of being at guidewire.

I was given a decision 1 day after my in-person interviews.
Interview questions were similar to the questions described in rest on the interview feedbacks.

Interview Question – Automation of a UI test for a web page   View Answers (2)

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
San Mateo, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Guidewire in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was very thorough with multiple rounds. It started off with a call from HR to find if I was the right fit for Guidewire's culture. Then a phone interview with someone in a similar role. After the phone round, there were three onsite interviews. The first onsite round had 1:1 interview with 3 people in similar roles. The second round has 1:1 interview with 3 people from the team and the third round was with senior management.

The interviews revolved around questions very relevant to the role, more hands-on questions...no irrelevant questions which I got from other companies I interviewed at. The interview experience was very positive to make me more interested in joining the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Offered better than expected and accepted.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
San Mateo, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Guidewire in November 2009.

Interview Details – After a short phone screen, I had a four hours of interviewing. The interviewers wanted to see if we could work well together. Other companies wanted me to prove that I was good enough to work there. The difference: Guidewire respects their candidates. Interviews focused on writing clean, maintainable code, communication and problem decomposition. Other companies tested me on trivia or implementing algorithms that I doubt someone in the position in question would need to implement. In addition to being smart, Guidewire wants to know the quality of the code you produce and what it would be like to work with you to solve problems. This told me that I'd like working with other at Guidewire, and I was right.

Support Interview

Support
San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Guidewire in May 2009.

Interview Details – Phone Screening was basic support and technical skills for support job, face to face was detailed cultural fit, job skills, technical , troubleshooting experience. It took 3+hrs for face to face and was exhaustive. The team was friendly and professional. The interview initially was set for professional service , but later was directed to support, which was uneasy surprise, but later found the technology and job role was really interesting

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Negotiated on salary with immigration visa application benefits. The start salary was not great and took 3 years to get to level I wanted to start, growth opportiunity are really good.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Guidewire in December 2010.

Interview Details – First I've got a written test at home to implement function that validates user input for their Wordy game. I did it over weekend and submitted to them. Then I was invited for on-site interview. On-site interview took 4 hours. First hour I was asked to write function that calculates price of the coffee in the coffee machine depending on size (small, large ...) and selection of condiments (sugar, milk, ...). You have to program it with interviewer sitting behind your back. Second hour - the same problem just conditions become slightly more complex - now price of condiments depends on the coffee cup size. Third hour I was asked to fix some issues in their artificially incorrect implementation of Set class. All this time you practically don't communicate with interviewers they just sit behind your back and watch at what you are doing. Last hour I've talked with project manager. It was free flowing discussion about my experience.

At the end I didn't get an offer even so I don't exactly understand the reason. I was told that team was satisfied with my technical skills but didn't feel that I was exited (eager) enough to work for their company. Which sounds really weird to me.

Interview Question – Write the function that calculates price of the cup of coffee where price of the condiments depends on size of the coffee cup. For example milk cost 10 c for small cup 15 c for medium and 20 c for large   View Answers (3)

Worked for Guidewire? Contribute to the Community!