Guidewire Senior Implementation Architect Interview Questions

4.0

Senior Implementation Architect Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Guidewire (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Longest and most comprehensive process that I've been through but from the other side it all seems sensible. GW take many steps to ensure the quality and fit of their employees but this means that the substantial investment that they make in new recruits is rarely wasted as attrition is very low, (I've been here for over two years and do not directly know anybody that has chosen to move). Key advice: The process has many steps but if you are clear that you have a specific timeline in mind it can be executed quickly, (e.g. I completed two phone interviews, a written test, three f2f interviews and two benefits conversations in < 5 days: and then I was on a plane the following week). What was particularly good was that the interview process was driven by current services employees so it really was an opportunity to check out the firm in detail, with people who were very open about their experiences, rather than receive corporate guff from those away from the front-line.

Interview Questions

• I was given a real-world situation that had arisen that morning in the interviewer's job regarding an under-performing member of the project-team employed by the customer that the customer had refused to remove from the roster - despite numerous interventions.   2 Answers

Negotiation

Very straight-forward. I put a number on the table, they improved on it, I was happy. Appreciate the cultural background of the person you're talking to, they might think that corporate health-care is a significant benefit but as somebody from the UK this is almost irrelevant. Be realistic, they may pay market+ rates but remember that your last salary reflects your value to that company, not this one.

Other Interview Reviews for Guidewire

Senior Implementation Architect Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in December 2012.

Interview

Guidewire's process for interviewing is very streamlined and efficient.

- Initial discussion with recruiter

-Telephone interview with an engineer/architect to perform initial assessment

-Coding test (3 hours, fairly easy if you know Java)

-3 interviews over Skype

The recruiter and initial assessor were easy to speak with and you could tell they perform these interviews often. The 3 face to face (or Skype) interviews weren't as polished. They use somewhat standard questions to interview.

The first interviewer was a stand in and he was nice enough. Explained the process of the company and what he does. He didn't have too many questions.

The second interviewer didn't have video working so he could see me but not the opposite. He was also eating during the interview and quite honestly was just plain rude. He essentially talked for 50 minutes and barely asked any questions.

The third interviewer knew his stuff and really drilled into me. It was late at night and I had been up till midnight the night before coding so he prompted me on some answers and explained where I had things wrong. He was looking for substance and not definitions. This interviewer was much more professional and knowledgeable.

Someone (other than the recruiter) called me with the initial offer details and I received the documents from HR a day later. The docs were fairly standard. Nothing terribly surprising.

Interview Questions

Compensation didn't warrant an acceptance.

Overall compensation while good wasn't much more than what I make now and considering the 80% travel it just wasn't enough. Getting up at 3am every single Monday, flying out and then returning home Thursday evening week after week, you have to pay someone to do that. I can make as much as they were offering elsewhere and not travel 80% and spend more time with my family.

I wasn't terribly keen on the Skype interviews (difficult to evaluate them as an organization) as well as the rush to get everything done before the end of year (tells me they had extra money in the budget they wanted to use up). Also didn't like the month long training, you're evaluated on a weekly basis and if you fail any part of the training you're cut loose (apparently this happens to 5-10% of the pool of trainees).

On the plus side the benefits were good and you can live anywhere near a major gateway airport. The employees there are very intelligent and you're working with some serious budgets and implementations.

Considering the travel and risk of the position, it just wasn't worth it to me. I decided to keep looking.