Guidewire Solution Developer Interview Questions

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Solution Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Guidewire.

Structured well, fun people to talk with. Questions make sense and it is a good idea to do pairing

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Guidewire

Solution Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Guidewire in December 2009.

The process at Guidewire is supposed to be hard but I only made it to the first in person round so I wouldn't know.

I applied online, and immediately heard from (read this carefully: a manager who had just quit my current employer 2 days ago). I was furious. I would sue Guidewire if I could prove it. If this manager was still with my current employer, I am sure I would have been fired for applying to a competitor.

Nonetheless, this ex-manager gave me good reviews to Guidewire, and the process started. The first step was to complete a screening by word document. I filled out answers to general questions like which tools I use and what an ideal job means to me.

The next step was a phone interview which lasted 45 minutes. It went well and again, I had to answer cookie cutter questions about my personality, coding style and examples of (stress, leadership, management etc).

The next step was an 'at-home' programming skill test by word document for which I was given 1.5 hours. There were 3 questions involving java inheritance, a sorting problem, and a simple sql search.

The next step was an in person interview first with my 'could-be' manager, a business analyst to gauge my domain knowledge and then, two programmers who made me very uneasy because they came with simple problems but couldn't articulate them. The problems weren't written down on a page.

Having said that, I will admit I did not bring my A-game to the interview. There was nothing challenging about their problems.

1. Given a tree with nodes containing an object that contains a number value, sum up the tree and return a result. (The idea was to remember that even if the object is null, you still have to parse the rest of the tree). I kept getting my recursion conditions wrong and looked less than able to solve it. With two men staring me down as I wrote code and drew a tree, I was a bit uncomfortable.

2. Given a table of cars and owners, list cars and owners. That was the essence of the problem but worded so poorly I could never infer the solution was an m:n record table. They waited 2 months before I got an e-mail of rejection.

My experience was not negative because I performed poorly and didn't get the job. I couldn't believe that the first thing a hiring manager would do, rather than use their own judging and assessment ability, contact a candidate's superiors.

Overall though, the company looks like it has done well in their field so kudos to them.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Given a tree with nodes containing an object that contains a number value, sum up the tree and return a result.   View Answer
    • 2. Given a table of cars and owners, list cars and owners.   View Answer