Guidewire

Updated Oct 16, 2014

3.8

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire.

The hiring process here can be broken down into three main parts: a code test, a technical phone interview, and in person interviews.
I applied for the job through Jobvite. I received an email a few days after that saying that they would like me to do an offline code test, meaning in my own home. I organised a time and day and received an email with the code and instructions an hour before my start time. The code test was very fair, with the questions covering JDBC, JMS, Bad Code and Iterators. As this was an entry level position, intended for people with no work experience, I only needed to answer the bad code question and one other.
Once that had been submitted, I heard back a few days later and was asked to submit times I was free for a technical phone interview. Again, the phone interview was very fair, the majority of questions being asked are something a graduate should know, or be able to reason out over the phone. The interviewer was very pleasant and friendly.
Finally, after hearing back, I had another phone interview organised, with someone from HR. This person gave me feedback on my code test and phone interview, and described the last step in the process, the in-person interview, giving me details about what to expect.
The in person interview comprised of three one hour interviews, one after the other. The first interview was a very general one, with some basic technical questions. The second interview was a full technical interview, which had me answering coding questions on a whiteboard. The final interview was a cultural fit interview, speaking with someone about how I deal with specific situations, and generally just allowing the interviewer to get a feel for me.
After the in person interviews, which actually lasted three and a half hours in total, I had a final chat with someone from HR, who gave me some additional details about the job, and what benefits were available.
I heard back from the company that afternoon informing me I had been accepted.
Overall, it was an incredibly enjoyable experience. Don't get me wrong, the process was quite tough, and the three in person interviews were quite grueling, but the company needs to ensure your competency, as any company would.
Any person I dealt with throughout the interview process, whether through email, phone, or in person, was extremely pleasant and helpful, and receiving feedback during the interview process was amazing.
An incredibly professional interview process, and one I learned a lot by doing.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing too surprising, some in depth questions regarding databases and designing a database for specific cases, and then modifying it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Guidewire

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Guidewire in February 2014.

Really quick in getting back and the HR always responsive and update your status

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in June 2013.

Intensive interview process.

1 x 30 minute phone call about my skills/experience in the technologies and methodologies used by the company. Interviewer was lovely, easy to deal with and provided a lot of information.

1 x code test. Was given 4 hours to do it. One mandatory question and one optional on Bad Code, JDBC, JMS and Iterators.

1 x 45-60 minute technical phone interview on Java, n-tier architecture, XML, databases, Agile and more. The guy was great to deal with, asked lots of tough questions and gave ample time to form answers.

3 x 1 hour face-to-face interviews. First interview was on my interest in the position, some discussion on projects / project architecture and then some white board code and architecture work. Interviewer was great to deal with, provided lots of feedback as the problems were being done on the white board and provided a lot of information as to the opportunities available within the company.

Second face-to-face interview was held with an implementation architect. Very nice guy. Asked a lot of questions on Java, design patterns, web services and more that were significantly tougher / more obscure than those asked in previous interviews and especially the code test. Did some white board coding / architecture diagrams.

Final face-to-face interview was with a guy from consulting enablement. Provided me with a demo of one of Guidewire's products and more. Did a final bit of whiteboard coding here.

Overall it was a great experience and has undoubtedly developed my technical interview skills as well as understanding of some more obscure areas of Java. Unfortunately I didn't get an offer as the second face-to-face interview didn't go as well as the rest and the decision among the interviewers has to be unanimous.

The people involved in the process were fantastic, very smart and easy to get along with and the interview process was entirely without any of the BS attached with more traditional styles of interviewing ("What is your greatest weakness?" type questions).

Interview Questions
    • I don't believe it's fair to other candidates or the company to provide specific questions here. Some of the questions in the second face-to-face interview were very obscure and I'm unsure of how I would recommend someone to prepare for it. The rest of the questions, in the code test, phone interview and face-to-face interviews are nothing that someone with perhaps a year of experience in development shouldn't be able to answer.   Answer Question

Solutions Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire.

Definitely the toughest interview process that I've been through, but also by far the most interesting. It consisted of 4 stages:

1. A half-hour phone interview to guage whether I had adequate knowledge/education of the core languages and processes used by the company.

2. A code-test with four questions, of which I had to do two. The questions were under the topics of JMS, JDBC, Iterators and Bad Code.

3. A 45 minute technical phone interview where I was quizzed on my knowledge of Java, OOP, MySQL, XML and Agile Development.

4. Three hour-long interviews up at the company offices. The interviews focused on technical knowledge, education, project/work experience and career aspirations. The interviewers were all very friendly and obviously extremely intelligent people. These interviews really eradicated any doubts I previously had and made the company my preferred potential employer.

After all of this I had a 30 minute phone interview with the person in charge of the company's Ireland operations. She explained the role in more detail and the direction the company is headed in. This was a great interview and again, it was great to be able to talk to someone who clearly had a lot of experience with this sector.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to explain a programming/technical issue to someone with very little technical knowledge, how would you ensure they understood the issue?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Guidewire.

I got referred through a recruitment agency. Initially I had little interest in the job as it was in a different city and I had never heard of the company before but the recruiter was quite adamant that I look into it. After a little research and looking at reviews here it was clear this company was above average and had a good work culture so I went for it.
    The interview process is long but thorough. It was almost 4 weeks from the initial code test to offer.
    Technical exam: Coding exam for 4 hours with 3 coding problems to solve. One on JDBC, another on improving functional but poorly written code and an optional question on either JMS or iterators.
    Face-to-face interview: I had 3 individual interviews up to an hour long each. None were particularly technical, focusing mainly on my college projects, communication and people skills. One had some emphasis on problem solving and included a few brain-teasers.

During the face-to-face interviews it was immediately apparent that the interviewers were genuinely happy to work for Guidewire and were all highly intelligent, rational people.
    Despite getting an offer in my home city for a higher base salary I chose Guidewire, they made it an easy choice.

Interview Questions
    • How would you normalise a many-to-many relationship in a database?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire in November 2012.

very tough process
    half hour phone interview
    4 hours coding test
    45 mins phone interview
    3 hours face to face interview with three different persons
    The interviewers were very friendly and will talk about a lot of thing with you.
    All interview questions are related to light technical questions.
    Good salary and benefit.
    I think it suitable for graduate students with strong knowledge foundation.

Solutions Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guidewire.

One 3 hours coding test, One phone screen, One Skype video interview, and one 3 hours face-to-face interview.