Guitar Center

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview Details – 1) applied via online form
2) called for interview
3) went to 10-minute interview
     - was very hard to read the interviewers' relative like/dislike of me
4) was called within 48 hours and offered a job

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Guitar Center? I was applying to dozens of different employers from a myriad of industries, and I always had to spend a lot of time thinking about this question as it applied to each potential employer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It was take it or leave it.

Very Easy Interview

Tucson, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Guitar Center in January 2010.

Interview Details – Turnover is very high in Guitar Center stores, if you really want to work there just visit and ask to talk to the store manager during day hours. If you are persistent they will hire you. You may also have to join a group interview, which the store manager picks out their candidates visually.

Interview Question – Why Guitar Center chooses to treat their employees so terribly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Commission on draw is all that is offered, no raises even after being promoted to Assistant Manager, and still on a commission basis.

Danvers, MA

I applied online - interviewed at Guitar Center in May 2008.

Interview Details – You apply online, and if you pass the "test", you get an in store interview, and if you pass that interview, you get a second interview. You are pretty much asked integrity questions, quizzed on your knowledge about musical equipment, answer questions about pay and compensation, ask about your future in the business, etc.

Interview Question – Asked specifics about gear.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – none

Worked for Guitar Center? Contribute to the Community!