Guitar Center

Relevance Date Difficulty

Drum Department Manager Interview

Drum Department Manager
Naperville, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Guitar Center in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called to schedule an interview a few days later. First, and only interview, went well. GM asked a few general questions about why I wanted to work there, if I understood how commission sales work and if I took rejection well, because that is a large part of the job. He quickly explained the commission procedure, and the scheduling procedure. He asked me what I was bringing to the table as a salesperson and how well I could lead a team of salespeople as manager. I had some background in management already, so I think I responded well to his questions and seems happy with my responses. I was not offered a job at that point, he just said thanks for coming in. Interview lasted approx. 15-20 mins.

Interview Question – If I were offered the position, how would I handle leading a dept where some of the team members have been there a considerable amount of time (more than me) and wanted the manager job as well.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – While interviewing at GC I was also interviewing with other employers. After considering the commission scale, work schedule and lack of suitable benefits (health/dental/vision, 401K, etc) I decided to take a job offer with better salary/benefits and a regular set schedule. 9-5, weekends/holidays off and job growth makes a huge difference when deciding on a job, I saw no real job growth at GC, it would be very difficult to make GM even in 5 years.

Worked for Guitar Center? Contribute to the Community!