Guitar Center

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Drum Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Olmsted, OH
Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Olmsted, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in August 2012.

The process was simple. The key was patience. I had my interview one week after I received a response. I came wearing proper interview attire: dress to impress. My first interview was with the GM followed by an interview with the Operations Manager. Both interviews were conducted in about an hour. I got the call that I got the job about three days later.

Interview Questions
  • The questions from both interviews were relatively the same. They asked the common questions such as "How can you value our company", "What if you caught your friend stealing", etc. The unexpected question that I personally received was, "What if I told you that you could be a manager in less than 6 months"?   View Answer
There was none. I was being paid minimum wage ($7.70 at the time) with a chance to earn commission, depending on which was greater. For example, if the gross profits of my sales exceeded my hourly wage, then I received a commission's check at the end of the month. If my hourly wage exceeded the gross profits of my sales, then I would receive a regular check. The only thing was (and I didn't find this out until a month later from a coworker) employees only make 9% off of the gross profit of their sales. This means in order to get a commission's check, I had to gross at least $10,000 worth of profit in sales per month, not an easy task by any means.