Guitar Center Information Technology Interview Questions

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in February 2013.

This is the worst interview experience I ever had. I passed the phone screen with the hiring manager and was asked to come in and interview. I was asked to bring 15 copies of my resume and fill out an online application. I filled out the application but a few days later the staffing person said it was not there. I explained to her that I filled it out and the system tells me I already did and won’t let me do it again. She kept saying that it has to be done and I kept asking what she would like me to do as their system is telling me it is already there. She seemed paralyzed and never offered to resolve it.

I showed up on interview day to one of their corporate facilities. I brought 15 copies of my resume to interview with 4 people (one being the staffing person) who already had copies. The staffing person never took them, did a cursory sort of interview and when asked about my application status she smirked and commented that if my application is not submitted she cannot “verify my experience lines up”. Again, I asked what I can do to help and she just responded with sort of a I-know-something-you-don’t-know look. It was awful.

The common theme amongst the managers I interviewed with was around how I would motivate people who had to work every night and weekend with antiquated technology and poor compensation. While I lived only 5 minutes from the facility, one person kept warning me how bad the commute would be. The work area of cubes was kept pretty dark and the management had windowless to the outside offices along the wall. It was a dreary place.

The staffing person told me she would get back to me within a week. She never did. I called her and she said they already filled the position. Shortly after that, I saw the position for the hiring manager was also posted as open.

Interview Questions
  • The difficult part is trying to read the staffing person. If there was something wrong, she should have been forthcoming or not brought me in for the interview.   Answer Question