Guitar Center Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.1

Guitar Center Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marietta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center (Marietta, GA).

Interview

Sat down with the manager and answered questions about my history as a musician. Made my case for why I thought I would make a great employee. Had to go through a mock sales pitch.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Super relaxed. I was dressed in a suit and tie and could not have felt more dumb about it. They asked me typical gear questions like what I played on and what features I'd point out on a guitar. Then they asked me to pitch a PC (pro coverage) and it was awkward but I got through it. They are more interested in finding a sales associate than a gear head I will tell you that.

Pro Audio Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hallandale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center (Hallandale, FL).

Interview

Good interview asked many different question and then some odd ones. Told me there was room for advancement and got me excited about the position. Manager bragged about what he was getting paid and where he was at in the company.

Interview Questions

• what would you do if someone wanted to but dj equipment etc   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Went in for first interview, then was passed up to next interviewer the following week where they described salary, benefits, etc. Then we discussed hours, they wanted part time, I need full time.

Interview Questions

• What I know about guitars.   1 Answer

AP Trade Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, CA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Guitar Center (Westlake Village, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewed by corporate HR hiring manager who was interested in filling the position quickly. This person asked the usual and general questions. There were no technical questions since they had no accounting background. Only went through the first initial phone screen. After that, if you passed, I suspect they would have proceeded with in person interview at their corporate headquarters.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

it was easy. did an online app and they contacted me in two days for an interview which was easy and one on one. after that i had to do another online app and they called me a few days after that for a job offer

Interview Questions

• three traits that would make you stand out at Guitar Center   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

I have been a long term customer of GC and often found myself helping customers before I worked there. I jokingly said to the sales guys that I should work there, and they told me to apply. I applied online and was told by one of the other employees to follow up daily to get the interview. That Daily tip was really good, because that is what it took to get in. The initial interview was with the Store Manager. I brought an extra resume which paid dividends because they lost it. They asked about my music and technology background, and sales experience. I was almost dismissed as over qualified because of my pro-audio experience, but I was able to talk them down from that ledge. Getting the 2nd interview was another round of calling to ask for it every day. Each day I called, the manager "was just about to call me". The 2nd interview was with the sales training manager and Pro Audio department manager. Again, I brought extra resumes which again was helpful. They were pretty positive about the opportunity, but could not offer on the spot. Then I was stonewalled for about a week, with the manager seeming disinterested. Then out of nowhere, he called to beg me to take the job.

Interview Questions

• What would I change about Guitar Center   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

I had two interviews. The first one was sometime in June and it was with the STM (Sales Training Manager). Overall i think the interview took maybe 10 min. It was very short and simple, and pretty easy. He did go through a list of questions with me though, questions about my past experience/jobs. Also questions like, "What would you do in this scenario at work...How would you handle this type of customer?...etc." I got a call maybe a month and a half later and was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you showed your integrity in a difficult situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating.

Assistant Category Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter Then phone interview with HR Mgr Then interview with Category Manager in person for 1 hour Then come back and interview with VP OF Dept for 1 hour

Interview Questions

• What would you do individually or collectively to grow your categories?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Gave me what I asked for.

Guitar Salesman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center (Alpharetta, GA) in September 2014.

Interview

After completing the prescreening application online, I got a call back about a month later. The general manager asked me about my personal music experience such as what I played and how long have I been a musician. Then he asked me a question a consumer would have as a test: "What are 3 big differences between Fender Strats and Gibson Less Paul's?" If you don't know that, I recommend looking somewhere else. After answering the question, he asked about my availability and said he'd like an in person interview. The interview was with him and the sales manager asking about what I would do in situations such as a disgruntled customer (get a manager, they are there to help) and then asked about what a good customer experience is to you (doing everything you can to make them feel good about the sale and wanting to come back). After that, a call in a week confirmed the hire.