Guitar Center

Updated Nov 25, 2014
Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center.

I have been a long term customer of GC and often found myself helping customers before I worked there. I jokingly said to the sales guys that I should work there, and they told me to apply. I applied online and was told by one of the other employees to follow up daily to get the interview. That Daily tip was really good, because that is what it took to get in.

The initial interview was with the Store Manager. I brought an extra resume which paid dividends because they lost it. They asked about my music and technology background, and sales experience. I was almost dismissed as over qualified because of my pro-audio experience, but I was able to talk them down from that ledge.

Getting the 2nd interview was another round of calling to ask for it every day. Each day I called, the manager "was just about to call me". The 2nd interview was with the sales training manager and Pro Audio department manager. Again, I brought extra resumes which again was helpful.

They were pretty positive about the opportunity, but could not offer on the spot.

Then I was stonewalled for about a week, with the manager seeming disinterested. Then out of nowhere, he called to beg me to take the job.

Interview Questions
    • What would I change about Guitar Center   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Guitar Center.

I had two interviews. The first one was sometime in June and it was with the STM (Sales Training Manager). Overall i think the interview took maybe 10 min. It was very short and simple, and pretty easy. He did go through a list of questions with me though, questions about my past experience/jobs. Also questions like, "What would you do in this scenario at work...How would you handle this type of customer?...etc." I got a call maybe a month and a half later and was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you showed your integrity in a difficult situation?   Answer Question
    No negotiating.

Assistant Category Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Guitar Center.

Phone interview with recruiter
    Then phone interview with HR Mgr
    Then interview with Category Manager in person for 1 hour
    Then come back and interview with VP OF Dept for 1 hour

Interview Questions
    • What would you do individually or collectively to grow your categories?   View Answer
    Gave me what I asked for.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center.

I first applied online. A week later I received a phone call from one of the stores I applied to. They offered me a group interview. When I arrived, there were 15+ people waiting. They took us across the street into their warehouse. The interviewer's (Store Manager and Sales Manager) asked 3 questions. After the interview lasted about 45 minutes. They told everyone that if you didn't hear back the next day, that didn't mean it was a no and you could send an email to inquire on their interest in you. The next day I got a call back for a 1 on 1 interview. When I got there I met with them at the exact time they specified. The interviewers were the same guys. They asked several questions and told me about some of the logistics of the position I applied for (Sales Associate). The interview lasted roughly 35 minutes. The next day the sales manager emailed me another application that asked for more personal info and the following day they offered me a position.

Interview Questions
    They offered above the average wage because of my prior experience.

Department Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center.

The interview is very simple and straight to the point. Management wants to see an outgoing and passionate person. Don't be shy! Walk in like you already have the job. This business wants hungry people to work within the company.

Enterprise Social Media Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in August 2014.

I had a phone screening interview with their HR department. The process to get a screening interview took 2 weeks and it takes another week before they call if they are interested in an in person interview. My best advice is to be prepared. I thought they would be asking general interview questions since it's just with the HR department, but they had very specific questions and the call lasted about 30 to 45 mins. I also thought the job description was a little misleading. The main focus of this position will be to review, analyze and create reports of their social media marketing campaigns. It seems like they are looking for an analyst rather than a specialist.

Interview Questions
    • How would your ideal supervisor's management style be?   Answer Question
    • What is the process you go through to create social media content?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwood, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwood, IN

I applied in-person – interviewed at Guitar Center.

An absolute pleasure and informative interview. Gary at the Greenwood Indiana store did my interview and guided me through the hiring process. No one could ever ask for a better boss. Cat makes you feel like family the first time you walk through the door.

Interview Questions
    • There were a couple unexpected questions, most pertained to a situation that was relevant at the time.   Answer Question

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Guitar Center in June 2014.

Applied online got an email from a Recuriter telling me about a new store that was coming to my area set up an phone interview with the Recuriter shortly after I was contacted by the store manager we had a face to face also met with the operations manager we all clicked I was told that if they wanted to hire me I would receive an email within a day or to but later the day I got the email shortly after another phone call with the store manger they paid me according to my experience I started the job 2 weeks later

Interview Questions
    They paid based off my work history it was high according to what they start people with they asked me to keep it to myself to prevent problems

Systems & Supply Chain Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake Village, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake Village, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interviewed with several people and provided with an offer from my managers boss. I was given information on the position and responsibilities and discussed pay and benefits. The environment was pleasant and the opportunity seemed interesting and challenging.

Sales Manager Interview

You cannot start as a sales manager right away. You have to start as a sales associate and work your way up to department manager, assistant manager, and then sales manager.

Interview Questions
    Your pay is based off of how much you were able to sell in commission as a sales associate.